[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: News Advisory: Still Crazy -- no nuke waste problem, just doesn't exist ....

MAIN wrote:

> And I would point out that why do you assume that the Guv'ment should
> handle the waste from private industry ?  Seems that if Nook Energy is
> a viable alternative, the industry should be able to pay for it/handle
> it as part of their business practice.

The reason it is the government's responsibility is that early on in
the country's nuclear program, it was decided that we would consolidate
the waste disposal efforts under a common government-run effort.

The nuclear industry would PAY for this government disposal effort by
a TAX. The government is now being forced to uphold its end of the
agreement.

An analogy is this: We pay FICA taxes to the U.S. gov't which is
supposed to pay for our Social Security when we get old.

Suppose after paying FICA for your working life, the gov't refused to
give you your Social Security saying, "Why is this a gov't
responsibility, it is your own responsibility to provide for your
retirement." (The gov't would then just keep all your  FICA and not
give you anything.)

Just as we consolidated Social Security into a government function,
that we have been paying for; the gov't can't back out of the contract
after collecting the payment for its services.

Greg

Follow-Ups: References: