[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: News Advisory: Still Crazy After Oil These Years!

af329@james.freenet.hamilton.on.ca (Scott Nudds) wrote:

>Scott Nudds wrote:
>: >  Do you deny that atmospheric CO2 levels are increasing due to man?
>: >David Beorn does.
>
>tomgray wrote:
>: Is *anyone* in the scientific community contending this is not the
>: case?
>
>  Nope.
>

>tomgray wrote:
>: Seems to me most of the skeptics are willing to acknowledge
>: that CO2 levels are increasing, and that we are responsible for
>: the increase.
>
>  Most are, but some denialists are extremely ignorant...

I guess that is one thing that puzzles me a little.  How can
someone be so confident in denial without knowing at least a
modest amount about what they are denying?  I suppose that's
what the psych term "in denial" means . . .

>: David Beorn wrote:
>: Exactly - human CO2 is basically insignificant compared to what nature
>: produces.
>

>tomgray wrote:
>: Their skepticism has to do with what the effect of
>: the increase on global climate will be.
>
>  This is an area where there can be reasonable debate.
>
>---
>"The probability that the temperature increase of the last century has
>NOT been influenced by the greenhouse effect is less than one percent."
>-Climatologists Richard Tol and Aart de Vos, Free University of
>Amsterdam, A3

Seems to me I have read of a couple of studies that have arrived
at similar results--one in Germany, and one carried out at the
National Climatic Data Center here in the U.S.

<rummage, rummage> Yeah, I have a reference on the NCDC work.
SCIENCE, Vol. 268, p. 363, "U.S. Climate Tilts Toward the
Greenhouse" (news article).  "Is this wild and woolly weather
a sign that a strengthening greenhouse effect is changing global
climate?  That possibility is on everyone's lips during a
scorching summer or a season of floods, but no single weather
event can be conclusive.  Only when unsettled weather becomes
a persistent trend can it say anything about global change.
Now Thomas Karl, senior scientist at the National Climatic Data
Center in Asheville, N.C., and his NCDC colleagues have found
such a pattern--a sign, they say, that the U.S. climate has
turned toward a greenhouse regime in the past 15 years. . .
<much snipped> . . As a result, Karl and his colleagues
estimate a probability of only about 5% that the index's latest
surge toward the greenhouse side is just another fluctuation of
an otherwise stable climate."

Tom Gray
Director of Communications
American Wind Energy Association

PS Support renewable energy!  Visit the Electronic Lobbyist For
Renewable Energy Web Site:

        http://www.netcom.com/~stevie2/budget.html

Interested in energy and the environment?  The free electronic
edition of _Wind Energy Weekly_ reports on energy-related
environmental issues, energy policy, and wind industry trade
news.  The electronic edition normally runs about 10kb in length.

For a subscription, send me an e-mail request.  Please include
information on your position, organization, and reason for
interest in the publication.
Tom Gray <tomgray@econet.org>