[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: corn waste info needed

I'v not got your figures, but this might be relevant.

On of the old Rodale publications reported that corn cob ash is about 50%
postash (K2O5). Wow!  If you are going to burn all that biomass, besure to
save the ash. It might be worth as much as the energy.
A better use is ground for animal litter THEN restored to soil. The C in
the cob holds nitrogen, the material absorbs large quantities of moisture,
and a very rich soil amendment ensues, paticularly uses as poultry litter
as then there is also a good hit of P.
Stover is used as forage, but much of the corn crop is ensiled (USDA can
say how much), ear, stalk and all. This is used for stock feed,
particularly ruminants, though chickens and pigs eat some in my
experience. There's always some spoiled silage--sileage is produced by
anerobic processes and the surface exposed to air spoils. This is
outstanding for growing potatoes, only seaweed surpasses it. The potatoes
don't mind tha acidity of the sileage.  Might be good for blueberries,
too. I always needed the potatoes more.
There's a point here.  Diversity of uses of corn byproducts (If it's used
its not waste.) is more efficient and has much more potential for
site-appropriateness than seeking uses that are efficient only out of
context. Pardon me if I'm guessing wrong here. I may not make it back to
this thread.
Dan Hemenway, Elfin Permaculture