[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Making Apple juice

Can anyone tell me how to stop apple juice turning to cider?

Possibilities I know of inlude:

Camden tablets - if you add these it kills the natural yeast in the juice
and I assume the Sodium metabisulphate (sterilising stuff) settles out
and then you cyphon off the juice. Is this method safe, or desirable?

Pasturising - Heat juice to 70c and then bottle. Sounds costly on power
and time consuming. How long does the temperature need to be maintained?

Freezing - I believe the juice will keep in the freezer for a year.
Presumably you need to be meticulously clean with this method. And is
the condition of apples, for example windfalls, crucial here? Do you need
to allow the juice to settle before freezing? If so it will surely begin
to ferment. Might make a nice low alcohol drink though.

Adding vitamin C - this is how the manufacturers of farm pressed apple
juice claim to do it on the packet. What exactly is it, where can you get
it, and how does it work?

Thanks in advance for any inf.

--
Greetings from Birmingham.