[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Global Positioning Satellite

I am an agriculture communications student at Washington State
Univertsity.  I am interested in the use of Global Positioning Satellites
in farming practices.  On a recent field trip for my Crops class we
visited a farmer that began using GPS this last harvest to determine yield
every three seconds of harvest across the entire field.  He also had a
device to measure the moisture content at the same time.  The GPS system
could then print out a map of the field that shows the yield range.  He
planned to collect data for three years and then use the average of the
three to determine the re-occuring "bad" spots and from there he could
figure out what was needed to improve those specific areas.
	What I want to know is how many farms have used this and what the
results were?  Have you collected data for long enough to be able to apply
it and improve the "bad" spots?

Please E-mail me if you have any info.  Please don't just post it in the
newsgroup as I can't always find time to search through it..

Thankx,
Christine Stewart