[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Yuri receives hypocrite of the week award (was Re: Ecological Economics and Entropy)

Joan Shields <joan@med.unc.edu> wrote in article
<57o5ii$rob@newz.oit.unc.edu>...

> I guess now wouldn't be a good time to note that it's been observed time
> and time again that when women of a country gain social, economic, and
> political power that birth rates tend to decline.  As a matter of fact,
> birth rates in third world countries are at present declining.

Now is a fine time to bring this up.  It's both a phenomenon of women
gaining power and the advance of economies/technologies in a given country
that leads to lower birth rates.  The problem still exists, however, that
to attain the economic/technological/social advancements requires available
money and ENERGY (I'm reading this on SCI-ENERGY).  While 'western' level
living standards would also do a lot to lower the population growth rates,
are there enough resources (money, energy, raw materials, etc.) available
for this to happen in the near term, before populations swell out of
control in these third world nations?

Rick Tarara

Follow-Ups: References: