[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Is Organic Food Better?

Terry -

<<As I recall, the produce used in this study was collected from retail
outlets.  the study could not control for effects other than organic vs.
conventional (cultivar, harvest maturity, post harvest handling, etc).

<<I decided that it was difficult to use this study to compare nutritional
value of organic vs. conventional produce.>>

I can see how this study was perhaps not what you were looking for, and I can
see that it would be interesting to see studies that handled more factors (for
ex., if the conventional used any organic methods).

However, I find the study quite useful from a consumer viewpoint (i.e. the
ultimate customer), because that's how they access the food - in the stores -
and so that's quite relevant to them.  I think it's quite relevant to compare
the nutrition at the final resting point, where the consumer buys and eats it.
I also forwarded the study info because it counters assertions a few people on
this list have made that there's no evidence of difference in mineral content
between organic and not.  This study shows that, in at least one case, there is
a difference, and that it shows up in the final result, the produce bought at
the store.

Hope you find the more detailed info you seek (or perhaps it's time to prod
someone to go and study it, assessing the more detailed variables you desire).

P. Dines