                             ***
                   Pesticide Action Network
                        North America
                       Updates Service
                 http://www.panna.org/panna/
            =====================================

Resource Pointer #106

December 3, 1996

For copies of the following resources, please contact
the appropriate publishers or organizations directly.
                         ***

*World Food Summit: Technical Background Documents,
Volumes 1-3, 1996.* U.N. Food and Agriculture
Organization (FAO). This compilation of papers examines
social, political, environmental, nutritional and
technical aspects of food security. Assesses current
state of global food security in terms of developments
since 1970s, and forecasts changes until 2010. Includes
papers about food production and water; food security
and trade; food assistance; lessons from Green
Revolution; and food security success stories. Available
online. Approximately 645 pages in three volumes. FAO
Bookshop, Viale delle Terme di Caracalla, 00100 Roma,
Italy; phone (39-6) 5225-5688; fax (39-6) 5225-5155;
publications-sales@fao.org;
http://www.fao.org/wfs/final/e/list-e.htm.

*Sustainable Agriculture: Impacts on Food Production and
Challenges for Food Security, 1996.* Jules Pretty, John
Thompson and Fiona Hinchcliffe. Examines competing views
on how to achieve food security and argues that best
alternative is to adopt sustainable agriculture.
Discusses positive impacts of sustainable agriculture
practices on food production and emphasizes importance
to food security of ensuring equitable access to food
and improving rural economies. 27 pp. Gatekeeper Series
No. 60. International Institute for Environment and
Development, 3 Endsleigh Street, London, WC1H 0DD,
England; phone (44 171) 388-2117; fax (44 171) 388-2826;
email iiedagri@gn.apc.org; http://www.oneworld.org/iied.

*Food for the Future: Women, Population and Food
Security, 1996.* U.N. Population Fund (UNFPA). Provides
overview of women's role in food production and food
security, and argues that poor women's needs must be
addressed if food security is to be achieved. Discusses
range of perceived causes of food insecurity, including
population growth, inadequate food production and
poverty, stressing need to include women in decision-
making processes. Available online. 16 pp. UNFPA, 220
East 42nd Street, New York, NY 10017; phone (212) 297-
5020; fax (212) 557-6416; email marshall@unfpa.org;
http://www.unfpa.org/pubs/food-eng.html.

*Eat Smart, Healthy, Local: Safe and Secure Food for
Tomorrow, 1996.* PAN Asia and the Pacific (PANAP).
Compiles range of papers on food safety, food security
and economic globalization, and includes case studies of
political actions taken by citizens to advance food
security and sustainable agriculture. Discusses food
safety and food security problems, and describes PANAP's
Safe Food Campaign 1996, a campaign aimed at developing
safe and sustainable food systems. 141 pp. PANAP, P.O.
Box 1170, 10850 Penang, Malaysia; phone (60-4) 657-0271;
fax (60-4) 657-7445; email panap@geo2.poptel.org.uk.

*Focusing Livestock Systems Research, 1996.* A.C.W.
Roeleveld and A. van den Broek, eds. Discusses role of
animal husbandry in African agricultural systems,
highlighting ways in which on-farm research can improve
livestock production and food security. Emphasizes need
for preliminary diagnostic surveys to determine
appropriate on-farm research topics. Includes case
studies of such diagnostic surveys in Benin, Burkina
Faso, Mali, Nigeria, Tanzania and Zambia. 151 pp. Dfl.
45. KIT Press, Mauritskade 63, 1092 AD Amsterdam, The
Netherlands; phone (31-2) 568-8711; fax (31-2) 568-8286.

We encourage those interested in having resources listed
in the Online Resource Pointer to send review copies of
publications, videos or other sources to our office
(address listed below) or to contact Information Program
Associates Adam Kirshner or Gina Schilling for further
information.