[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: a variation of ag. dependence

That's right about Nestle. True. And in those countries there surely is no
way to refrigerate anything at all.  We used to boil the leftover milk
every evening. Sometimes its protein surface gathering was starting to
turn brown--I suppose that was caramelizing the sugar in it? like
gjetost??

Even then, we had a pantry "cupboard", where we could store the boiled
milk overnight. It was a screened top with 4 legs that stood in a can of
kerosene, to keep out bugs, etc.  The natives had nothing like that, Even
if they knew to boil milk, they could only set the kettle on the dirt
floor.

I had never seen food spoiling because not distributed, because in those
early days there weren't any NGOs donating food. What donating was done,
was done by missionaries.  But I have heard and read plenty.

B. Rateaver

Follow-Ups: References: