[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Announcement: interLAB Update

NEW FOR SEPTEMBER: infoNET @ interLAB

The information library for the latest news, products, publications
and articles.

Following the successful launch of interLAB - the leading virtual event on
the Internet for the Scientific Instrument, Supplies and Services Industry
- we are now able to offer infoNET.

In this section you will find brief descriptions of the latest products,
services and literature available from an extensive range of
Manufacturers and Suppliers.

The infoNET area is updated every month so make sure you've bookmarked
the interLAB URL and keep in touch with the latest news and information.
If you wish to send a direct message to any of the Companies listed
look out for the MAILTO boxes at the end of their entry.

We are constantly on the look out for new facilities to offer interLAB
Visitors and would be glad to receive your suggestions. These may be
e-mailed to our Organisers' Office on da46@cityscape.co.uk.

We look forward to seeing you at interLAB.

	http://www.interlab.co.uk/interlab

	      A Guide to Internet/Bitnet Resources in Agriculture
				      and
				Related Sciences

		     Written and compiled by Wilfred Drew.
				 June 23, 1992

The purpose of this guide to direct the user to resources in agriculture
that are available on the INTERNET or BITNET.

In several places this guide is uses examples specific to the VAX VMS
environment.  This is because Morrisville College uses the VAX.  It would be
impossible to cover all possible variations on system specific commands or
unusual implementations.

Please feel free to copy this guide in any format as long as credit is given
to me.  I worked hard on this guide and expect to get credit for it.  The guide
is copyright free.

Please contact me if there are any questions.

Wilfred Drew
Serials/Reference Librarian
State University of New York
Morrisville College of Agriculture and Technology
Morrisville, New York 13408

BITNET:   drewwe@snymorva.bitnet
Voice:    315-684-6055
FAX:      315-684-6115

Acknowledgements:

To all of those that have gone before me in the pursuit of INTERNET trivia.

How this guide was produced:

This guide was written and compiled entirely on a microcomputer and our
local VAX.  Except for my initial list of libraries with holdings in
agriculture, all information is from sources on the INTERNET.  Sample
screens were captured using QVT.  The original document is written in
WordPerfect 5.1 format.  The ascii version is derived from that file.

Table of Contents

INTERNET/BITNET TOOLS. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   Page 1
     GOLD-MAIL . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   Page 1
     MAIL. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   Page 1
     FTP . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   Page 1
          Sample FTP session . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   Page 2
     TELNET. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   Page 2

LIBRARIES WITH EXTENSIVE COLLECTIONS IN AGRICULTURE. . .   Page 4

INTERNET ELECTRONIC BULLETIN BOARDS. . . . . . . . . . .  Page 11
     Advanced Technology Information Network . . . . . .  Page 11
     CLEMSON UNIVERSITY FORESTRY AND AGRICULTURAL NETWORK  Page 15
     PENpages. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Page 19
     CENET - Cornell Cooperative Extension NETwork . . .  Page 26

MAIL BASED SERVICES. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Page 30
     Almanac Servers . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Page 31
     LISTSERVER Discussion groups related to agriculture  Page 33

OTHER IMPORTANT SERVICES . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Page 41

Miscellaneous services of interest . . . . . . . . . . .  Page 41
     Wide Area Information Server at THINK.COM . . . . .  Page 41
     Geographic Name Server. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Page 43
     FEDIX: On-line Information System for Colleges, Universities and
          other Research Organizations . . . . . . . . .  Page 45
     Weather Underground (University of Michigan). . . .  Page 47

WORKS CITED. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Page 48

INTERNET/BITNET TOOLS

Tools needed to access services on the INTERNET or BITNET:

GOLD-MAIL (I prefer this to VMS MAIL mentioned further below under MAIL.
This information was taken from the GOLD-MAIL help screens on our VAX.)

  Gold-Mail is a VMSmail compatible electronic mail system.

  The menus are "pulled down" from the menu bar by pressing the underlined
(first) letter in Gold, Message, Send, Output, Utilities, or Customize.

  Menu options can be selected by typing the underlined letter in the
option's name, or using the arrow keys and pressing RETURN.  The CANCEL
key (F20 or <CTRL-Z>) may be pressed to cancel a menu without performing a
command.

  Mail messages are organized into drawers and folders.  Folders may be
created when moving or copying mail messages.  Folders may be opened and
closed by placing the highlighting on the folder name and pressing RETURN.
Mail messages may be read by moving the highlighting to the desired
message and pressing RETURN.  Operations may be performed on multiple
messages by selecting them using the SELECT key (numeric keypad "." key).

(End of extract from Gold_Mail help screens)

GoldMail is started by:  $ gmail

MAIL (taken from the VMS MAIL help screens on our VAX. These will be
different for other systems).

    Invokes the VMS Personal Mail Utility (MAIL), which is used  to send
messages  to other users of the system.   For a complete description of  the
VMS  Personal  Mail   Utility, including information about the MAIL command
and  its  qualifiers,  see the  VMS Mail Utility Manual.

(End of extract from VAX help files)

FTP (taken from the FTP help screens on our VAX. These will be different for
other systems).

    FTP is the user interface to the ARPANET standard file transfer
protocol.  FTP allows users to log into remote systems, transfer files to
and from remote hosts, obtain listings of directories on remote hosts, and
other common file operations.

    The FTP utility supports two styles of user interfaces, a    DCL command
interface and a ULTRIX command interface.  The DCL command interface is
the default.  To select the ULTRIX command    interface, define a symbol as
follows:

     $ FTP :== $UCX$FTP/ULTRIX

    Most FTP commands require one or more file specifications.  Local file
specifications must be valid VAX/VMS file specifications. Remote file
specifications will be interpreted by the remote host and therefore must be
valid to that host.  Any file specification which is not a valid VAX/VMS file
specification must be quoted.

(End of excerpt from VAX help file)

Sample FTP session using ULTRIX interface: (my comments wil appear in bold)

command is entered at the prompt. The address of the remote system here is
hydra.uwo.ca.

Response from remote system:

220 HYDRA.UWO.CA MultiNet FTP Server Process 3.0(12) at Thu 7-May-92
11:48AM-GMT

Connected to HYDRA.UWO.CA.

Name (hydra.uwo.ca:drewwe): anonymous <== Enter anonymous at this prompt.
331 anonymous user ok. Send real ident as password.
Password:  <== Enter your e-mail address. It will not be visible.

230-Guest User DREWWE@SNYMORVA.BITNET logged into PUB:[000000] at Thu
7-May-92
11:48, job 5793.
230 Directory and access restrictions apply

ftp> cd libsoft <== Change directory command.  In DCL interface would be SET
DEF
250 Connected to PUB:[000000.LIBSOFT]. <== Directory changes

ftp> ls <==  Lists files in directory
200 Port 6.98 at Host 136.204.1.1 accepted.
150 List started. <== I have deleted the list of files from this example.
226 Transfer completed.
Received transfer complete reply
1553 bytes received in 00:00:27.97 seconds
ftp> ascii <== Sets file transfer to text
200 Type A ok.
ftp> get ftp_guide.txt <== command for transferring file to our system
200 Port 6.99 at Host 136.204.1.1 accepted.
150 ASCII retrieve of PUB:[000000.LIBSOFT]FTP_GUIDE.TXT;1 started.
226 Transfer completed.  7896 (8) bytes transferred.
7896 bytes received in 00:00:10.67 seconds
ftp> quit <==  Ending session
221 QUIT command received. Goodbye.

TELNET (taken from the TELNET help screens on our VAX. These will be
different for other systems).

    TELNET is a remote login protocol in the Internet protocol suite. It allows
a user on one host to establish a connection with a remote host and
interact as if the user's terminal is connected directly to the remote host.

(End of extract from TELNET help screens)

No sample session is shown for telnet because of the wide variety of
services available via telnet.
See the separate sections of this guide for more details.

LIBRARIES WITH EXTENSIVE COLLECTIONS IN AGRICULTURE

Why search library catalogs on the INTERNET?

There are several reasons to search OPACs on the INTERNET:

1. Our collection is relatively small and you can access farlarger
collections such as Mann Library at Cornell University.

2. Many libraries have mounted unique databases such as the ones on CARL
(Colorado Alliance of Libraries).

3. If you were to access any of these by modem and telephone it would be a
long distance call.  Access through the INTERNET does not cost you
anything.

4. It allows you to check out a distant library with out leaving your office.

The following list of library catalogs is extracted and adapted from UNT's
Accessing On-Line Bibliographic Databases.  These catalogs were selected
because they have relatively large collections in agriculture or contain
other unique and useful features.

Note:  Since our campus does not have TN3270 on our VAX,  use the gateway
at Washington University -- St. Louis for access to some of the TN3270
systems. It is the last entry in this list.

************************************
Arizona State University
Location: Tempe, Arizona USA
To access:
1. Type TELNET CARL.LIB.ASU.EDU.
2. At the destination prompt, enter
CARL.
3. Enter 5 for VT100.
4. Press RETURN twice.
To exit, type //EXIT twice.

************************************
Cal Poly State University
Location: San Luis Obispo,
California USA
To access:
1. Type TELNET LIBRARY.CALPOLY.EDU.
2. Choose 1 for Polycat and follow
the instructions on the menu.
To exit:
1. Hit CTRL-D.
2. Type x.

************************************
Carnegie Mellon University
Location: USA
To access:
1. Type TELNET
CMULIBRARY.ANDREW.CMU.EDU.
2. Enter VT100 as terminal type.
3. Press RETURN.
4. Enter 1 at the menu.
To exit the CMU library:
1. Type Q.

************************************
Clemson University
Location: Clemson, South Carolina
USA
To access:
1. Type TN3270 CLEMSON.CLEMSON.EDU.
2. Choose option B on the menu.
3. Push <RETURN>.
To exit, use the TN3270 escape
key.

************************************
Colorado Alliance of Research
Libraries
Location: Colorado USA
One of the major online systems.
To access CARL:
1. Type TELNET PAC.CARL.ORG.
2. When prompted for terminal type,
enter 5 for VT100 emulation.
To exit, hit the TELNET escape key.

************************************
Cornell University
Location: Ithaca, New York USA
To access:
1. Type TN3270
CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL.EDU.
2. When userid/password screen
appears, press RETURN.
3. When CP READ appears on the
screen, type LIBRARY.
To exit, type X.

************************************
Florida State University System
Location: Gainesville, Florida USA
To access:
1. Type TN3270 NERVM.NERDC.UFL.EDU.
2. Press RETURN.
3. Type DIAL VTAM.
4. On the NERDC VTAM IS ACTIVE
screen, enter NERLUIS FCLSKYA.
To exit:
1. TYPE %OFF.
2. When NERDC VTAM IS ACTIVE
appears, enter UNDIAL.

************************************
Hebrew University
Location: Israel
To access:
1. Telnet ALEPH.HUJI.AC.IL.
2. At the login prompt, type ALEPH.
3. Select 11 at terminal type
prompt.
To exit,use TELNET escape key.

************************************
Iowa State University
To access:
1. TELNET ISN.IASTATE.EDU
2. At the DIAL prompt, type LIB.
3. At the ENTER TERMINAL TYPE
prompt, type VT100.
4. At the MVS welcome screen, type
SCHOLAR.
Logoff
  1. On the SCHOLAR command line,
type QUIT.

************************************
Kansas State University
Location: Manhattan, Kansas USA
To access the KSU catalog:
1. Type TELNET TELNET.KSU.EDU.
2. Select destination as KSUVM.
3. Enter VT100 at terminal type
prompt.
4. Type LYNX.
To exit, type QUIT.

************************************
McGill University
Location: Montreal, Canada
To access:
1. Type TN3270 MVS.MCGILL.CA.
2. On the menu, choose option 2
(Muse).
3. Hit RETURN on the CICS screen.
To exit, type OFF.

************************************
Miami University
Location: Ohio, USA
To access:
1. Type TELNET
WATSON.LIB.MUOHIO.EDU.
2. At the login prompt, type library.
To exit, type H on the main menu

************************************
Michigan State University
Location: East Lansing, Michigan
USA
To access:
1. Type TELNET MERIT.MSU.EDU.
2. At the Which Host? prompt, enter
MAGIC.
3. At the terminal id, enter VT100.
To exit, use the TELNET or TN3270
escape key.

************************************
Minnesota State University System
Location: Mankato, Minnesota USA
(cover North Dakota and South
Dakota too)
To access:
1. Type TELNET MSUSGW.UMN.EDU.
2. At the "enter destination"
prompt, enter PALS.
To exit, type END.

************************************
Montana State University
Location: Montana, USA
To access:
1. Type TELNET
CATALOG.LIB.MONTANA.EDU.
2. At the : prompt, type HELLO
MSU.LIBRARY.
To exit, type EX.

************************************
New Mexico State University
Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico
USA
To access:
1. Type TELNET LIBRARY.NMSU.EDU.
2. At the : prompt, type hello
user.libr01.
3. When asked for terminal type,
enter 5.
4. When asked for location code,
enter 0100.
To exit, enter /QUIT.

************************************
Ohio State University
Location: Columbus, Ohio USA
To access the Ohio State online
catalog:
1. Type TELNET LCS.US.OHIO-
STATE.EDU.
2. Choose 0 as your terminal type.
3. Type HELP to see options.
To exit, hit the TELNET escape key.

************************************
Oregon State University
Location: Corvallis, Oregon USA
To access:
1. Type TELNET OASIS.KERR.ORST.EDU.
2. Type OASIS at Login Please
prompt.
3. Enter 11 for VT100 emulation.
To exit, use the TELNET escape
key.

************************************
Pennsylvania State University
Location: University Park,
Pennsylvania USA
To access LIAS:
1. Type TELNET LIAS.PSU.EDU.
2. Normally, VT100 should be
negotatied at this point.  If you
have terminal emulation problems,
try typing TERMINAL VT100 at the >>>
prompt.
To exit LIAS, type QUIT or EXIT.

************************************
Purdue
Location: West Lafayette, Indiana
USA
To access:
1. Type TN3270 LIB.CC.PURDUE.EDU.
To exit, use the TN3270 escape
key.

************************************
Rutgers University
Location: Piscataway, New Jersey
USA
To access:
1. Type TELNET LIBRARY.RUTGERS.EDU.
2. Press <RETURN>.
To exit, type END.

************************************
Texas A&M
Location: College Station, Texas
USA
To access:
1. Type TELNET VENUS.TAMU.EDU from
any machine connected to the
Internet.
2. At the Username: prompt, type
VTAM.
3. At the Texas A&M Statewide
Network screen, type NOTIS.
4. At the CICS screen, hit RETURN.
To exit, hit CTRL-Z.

************************************
Triangle Research Libraries
Location: North Carolina, USA
To access:
1. Type TELNET LIBROT1.LIB.UNC.EDU.
To exit, use the TELNET escape
key.

************************************
University of Arizona
Location: Tempe, Arizona USA
To access:
1. Type TELNET
IDX.TELCOM.ARIZONA.EDU.
2. Press RETURN repeatedly until
something happens.
3. Type geac for the main
circulation system.
To exit, use the TELNET escape
key.

************************************
University of California and
California State Library at
Sacramento
Location: Oakland, California USA
The library system is known as the
MELVYL system.
To access:
1. Type TELNET MELVYL.UCOP.EDU.
2. When asked for terminal type,
enter VT100.
3. Press RETURN when prompted to.
4. Type START LOOK for easy to use
library system.
  - or -
Type START COM for command line
library system.
To exit:
1. Type END or STOP.
2. Type LOGOFF.

************************************
University of California at Berkeley
Location: Berkeley, California USA
To access:
1. Type TELNET GOPAC.BERKELEY.EDU.
To exit, type LOGOFF.

************************************
University of Delaware
Location: Newark, Delaware USA
To access:
1. Type TELNET DELCAT.UDEL.EDU from
any host connected to the
Internet.
2. Press RETURN.
3. At TERMINAL TYPE prompt, type
VT100.
4. Press RETURN.
To exit, type EXIT.

************************************
University of Georgia and Georgia
College
Location: Georgia USA
To access:
1. Type TN3270 UGA.CC.UGA.EDU.
2. Hit TAB twice.
3. Type DIAL VTAM on the command
line.
4. On the IBM Systems menu, type L.
5. Hit RETURN on the next menu.
To exit:
1. Type QUIT.
2.                                      On the IBM Systems menu,
type X.

************************************
University of Illinois at
Urbana/Champaign
Location: Urbana/Champaign,
Illinois USA
To access:
1. Type TELNET GARCON.CSO.UIUC.EDU.
2. Enter LCS at the username
prompt.
To exit, type EXIT.

************************************
University of Kentucky
Location: Kentucky USA
To access:
1. Type TN3270 UKCC.UKY.EDU.
2. Hit TAB twice to get to the
command line.
3. Enter DIAL VTAM.
4. Enter L when prompted.
5. Enter 4 for application.
6. Press RETURN when prompted.
To exit, hit the TN3270 escape key.

************************************
University of Minnesota
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
USA
To access:
1. Type TELNET LUMINA.LIB.UMN.EDU.
2. When prompted for terminal type,
enter 0 for VT100 emulation.
3. When prompted to do so, type PA.
4. On the Public Access
Information Service screen, enter
1.
To exit, hit the TELNET escape key.

************************************
University of Missouri at Columbia
Location: Columbia, Missouri USA
To access:
1. Type TN3270 UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU.
2. TAB down to command prompt.
3. Enter DIAL VTAM.
4. At the VTAM LOGON prompt, enter
LIBCICS.
To exit:
1. Type #LOGOFF.
2. When VTAM LOGON or UNDIAL
appears on the screen, type UNDIAL.

************************************
University of Nebraska
Location:  Lincoln, Nebraska USA
To access:
1. Type TELNET UNLLIB.UNL.EDU.
2. At the login: prompt, type
library.
3. Select V for type of terminal.
4. Enter Y to confirm.
To exit, enter D.

************************************
University of Puerto Rico
Location: Puetro Rico USA
To access:
1. Type TELNET 136.145.2.10.
2. Hit TAB twice.
3. Type DIAL VTAM.
4. Enter NOTIS.
5. Press RETURN.
6. On the blank screen, type LUUP.
To exit, hit the TELNET escape key.

************************************
University of Tennessee at Knoxville
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee USA
To access:
1. Type TELNET LIBRARY.UTK.EDU.
To exit, type END.

************************************
University of Wisconsin
Location: Madison/Milwaukee,
Wisconsin USA
To access:
1. Type TELNET NLS.ADP.WISC.EDU.
2. Hit <RETURN> when prompted for
terminal type.
3. At the menu, TAB to the left of
the NLS1 selection.
4. Push <RETURN>.
5. At the next prompt, just push
<RETURN> for the Madison Catalog.
For the Milwaukee catalog, type MIL
and press <RETURN>.
To exit:
1. Type EXIT.
2. At the menu, TAB to the left of
the QUIT selection.
3. Push <RETURN>.

************************************
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and
State Unersity (Virginia Tech)
Location: Blacksburg, Virginia USA
To access:
1. Type TELNET VTCBX.VT.EDU.
2. At the CALL, DISPLAY, OR MODIFY
prompt, type CALL VTLS.
3. Hit <RETURN> once or twice.
To exit, hit the TELNET escape key.

************************************
Washington State University and
Eastern Washington University
Location: Washington USA
To access:
1. Type TN3270 WSUVM1.CSC.WSU.EDU.
2. Hit TAB twice.
3. Type DIAL VTAM.
4. Choose option COUGALOG.
To exit, hit the TN3270 escape key.

************************************
Washington University-St. Louis
Location: St. Louis, Missouri USA
To access:
1. Type TELNET WUGATE.WUSTL.EDU.
2. At the login: prompt, type LUIS.
3. Choose VT100 as the terminal
type.
4. On the menu, choose option 1.
To exit, hit the TELNET escape key.

INTERNET ELECTRONIC BULLETIN BOARDS

Electronic bulletin boards are simply ways of "posting" items for others to
see.  Many services are available throught them including full text files on
various topics, databases, and other services.  I have included here sample
screens from three bulletin boards related to agriculture.

Advanced Technology Information Network

Telnet CATICSUF.CSUFRESNO.EDU.
Login: super <return> (Must be in lower case)

First Screen:

IDS Information Dissemination System (Version 0.7)
Copyright (c) 1989, 1990 California Agricultural Technology Institute All
Rights Reserved

                       ** WELCOME TO THE ATI-NET **

You have reached the Advanced Technology Information Network.  The ATI-
Net  is a full service information source designed to assist several
markets within California.  Individual systems provide information for the
agri-cultural market, international exporting (ATLS system), and the
educational  community (CSUPER-Net).

If you would like to register as a new user for any of the systems
mentioned  above, please do so below.  After you respond to the registration
questions,  a login name and password will be shown on the screen.  Please
write this  information down!  The next time you log into the system, you may
use your  new login name and password.  If you have any question
concerning the ATI-Net,  call (209) 278-4872 during regular business hours.
IT IS VERY IMPORTANT ALL NEW USERS COMPLETE ALL REGISTRATION
INFORMATION CORRECTLY.  NEW ACCOUNTS  THAT HAVE INCORRECT OR INCOMPLETE
INFORMATION ARE SUBJECT TO REMOVAL WITHOUT PRIOR NOTIFICATION.

NOTE:  Once you have registered as a new user, please select option [d]
=====  on the ATI-Net Main Menu.  This will describe access into the system
and will also give you the nearest access port.

Would you like to register as a new user [y,n]? n

Menu Screen: (This appears after some news messages)

ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY INFORMATION NETWORK (ATI-Net)
[a] Agricultural Information (including ATIS)
[b] CSUPER-Net
[c] Automated Trade Library Service (ATLS)
[d] Biotechnology Information (CSUPERB)

[e] ATI-Net Access Information
[f] ATI-Net System New Releases
[g] ATI-Net System Use Policy Statement

[0] Quit and log off

[8] search, [9] help:

Sample screen for [a] from main menu:

                             Welcome to the
             ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY INFORMATION NETWORK (ATI-Net)
                              sponsored by
             The California Agricultural Technology Institute

                                  and
             The California Department Of Food And Agriculture

ATI-NET MAIN SYSTEM MENU
------------------------
[a] Agricultural News
[b] Daily Agricultural Market Reports (AMS)
[c] Agricultural Events Schedule
[d] California Agriculture Teacher's Project
[e] California State University Agricultural Degrees
[f] ATI-Net System Information & Communications
[g] Agricultural Job Listings
[h] International Agricultural Trade Information Service (ATIS)
[i] Agricultural Weather Information
[j] Agricultural Labor Information
[k] Agricultural Safety Information

[1] Return to the previous menu
[0] Quit and log off

[8] search, [9] help:

Sample screen for [a] above:

AGRICULTURAL NEWS
-----------------
[a] National
[b] California
[c] International
[d] Commodity
[e] Legislative (Federal and State)
[f] Health and Nutrition
[g] International Trade
[h] All Daily Agricultural News

[i] Previous Week's Agricultural News
[j] Monthly Agricultural News

[2] Return to the top level menu
[1] Return to the previous menu
[0] Quit and log off

[8] search, [9] help: a

Sample screen from AGRICULTURAL NEWS menu above:

NATIONAL AGRICULTURAL NEWS
--------------------------

        March 25, 1992

GOVERNMENT ISSUES (California Farmer) --  More than 50 USDA county
offices are spending above $1 in overhead for every $1 they deliver in
government payments to farmers, according to an investigations by Sen.
Richard Lugar ranking minority member of the Senate Agricultural
Committee.  Lugar announced at a recent news conference that calculations
by his office and the U.S. Office of Personnel Management also show USDA
now has one employee for every 1.9 U.S. farmers.  Lugar's investigation
found that USDA retains offices in many urban areas that no longer have
much farming.  About 94 percent of U.S. countries have USDA offices
although only 16 percent are considered farm countries.  Lugar found that
in several countries.  Lugar found that in several countries, government
administrative costs run from five to 20 times the value of payments those
offices make to local farmers.

FARM DEBT INCREASE 2 PERCENT (Ag Alert) -- Total U.S. farm debt, excluding
households, is estimated at $139.3 billion at the end of 1991, up 2 percent
from a year earlier, but 28 percent below the 1984 peak. The Agriculture
Department also said in a February report on agricultural<RETURN> to
continueincome and finance that farm banks now are among the strongest
institutions in the nation's banking system.

FARM DEBT INCREASE 2 PERCENT (Ag Alert) -- Total U.S. farm debt, excluding
households, is estimated at $139.3 billion at the end of 1991, up 2 percent
from a year earlier, but 28 percent below the 1984 peak. The Agriculture
Department also said in a February report on agricultural income and
finance that farm banks now are among the strongest institutions in the
nation's banking system.

        March 24, 1992

USDA OFFICIAL DEFENDS DECISION ON PRORATE (AP) -- A federal official has
defended his decision to suspend volume restrictions on sales of this
season's California fresh navel orange crop.  But more than a month after
the free market took control of the orange market, major opponents and
supporters of controls called prorate do not seem to have changed their
views.

NUMBER OF FARM, RANCH WORKERS DROPPED (AP) -- The number of hired
workers on farms and ranches in California, Texas, New Mexico and Florida
fell from January to February, the Agriculture Department said.  USDA said
there were 254,000 hired workers on farms and ranches in the four
states<RETURN> to continue

End of sample screens.

Comments--

As can be seen from the screens above, many types of information are
available on this system.  It is easy to use and is free.

CLEMSON UNIVERSITY FORESTRY AND AGRICULTURAL NETWORK

Note:  Since there are so many services available on this bulletin board, I
have only showed the main screens and the second level of menu under each
entry from the main menu.  Explore it. There are many full text screens of
newsletters, weather information, press releases from governement
agencies, official reports, and statistical information for the United
States and South Carolina.

How to connect: Telnet EUREKA.CLEMSON.EDU or 130.127.8.3
Login as PUBLIC at Username: prompt.

Opening screen:

                        CUFAN LOGIN SCREEN

Please enter the following information about yourself.  If you don't know
this information leave it blank.

  CITY  ____________________    STATE  __

  ORGANIZATION

  INTERNET ADDRESS

Use left/right arrows or RETURN to move between fields.

When complete, use PF1 then ENTER to continue.

Main menu:

                            WELCOME TO CUFAN
          CLEMSON UNIVERSITY FORESTRY AND AGRICULTURAL NETWORK

                      <1>  WEATHER
                      <2>  ECONOMICS
                      <3>  PLANTS
                      <4>  ANIMALS
                      <5>  ENGINEERING
                      <6>  FOOD
                      <7>  HOME, HEALTH, FAMILY AND YOUTH

                      <9>  HUMAN RESOURCES
                      <0>  NOTES, CALENDARS AND NEWS

Press the EXIT key(s) to return to the $ prompt  (F1-. or PF1-.)

                    Choice:

Screen for Entry 1 in main menu:

               WEATHER AND CLIMATE

                   <1>  FORECASTS AND ADVISORIES
                   <2>  CURRENT WEATHER CONDITIONS
                   <3>  WATCHES AND WARNINGS
                   <4>  WEATHER SUMMARIES

                   <6>  LOCAL CLIMATOLOGICAL DATA FROM
                        SOUTH CAROLINA

Screen for Entry 2 from main menu:

          ECONOMICS

     1. News and Newsletters
     2. Agricultural Market Service Reports
     3. Futures and Options Market Closing Prices
     4. Tax Information
     5. South Carolina Basis Tables
     6. Peach Budgets

Screen for Entry 3 from main menu:

               PLANTS

           <1>  AGRONOMIC
           <2>  FORESTRY
           <3>  HORTICULTURAL
           <4>  REGULATORY AND PUBLIC SERVICES
           <5>  PLANT DISEASE

           <8>  SEED CERTIFICATION
           <9>  AGRICULTURAL CHEMICALS HANDBOOK

Screen for ENTRY 5 from main menu:

             ENGINEERING

           <1>  FARM LIVESTOCK FACILITIES
           <2>  FARM SERVICE FACILITIES
           <3>  HOME
           <4>  COMMUNITY (No Information Available)
           <5>  SAFETY
           <6>  SOIL AND WATER
           <7>  MACHINERY
           <8>  GRAIN STORAGE

           <0>  NOTES

Screen for ENTRY 6 from main menu:

                FOODS

           <1>  HOME
           <2>  PROCESSED
           <3>  HUMAN NUTRITION
           <4>  FOOD SAFETY THRUST TEAM

Screen from Entry 7 from main menu:

             HOME, FAMILY AND YOUTH

           <1>  CONSUMER INFORMATION
           <2>  LEGISLATION AFFECTING YOUTH AND FAMILIES
           <3>  YOUTH AND 4-H
           <4>  STATISTICS FOR YOUTH AND FAMILY
           <5>  HOME FOOD
           <6>  HOME AND ENVIRONMENT
           <7>  HEALTH

           <0>  BULLETIN BOARD, NEWSLETTERS, CALENDAR,
                AND HOME ECONOMICS RESOURCE DIRECTORY (HERD)

Screen for Entry 9 from main menu:

                HUMAN RESOURCES

           <1>  USC CENTER FOR SCIENCE EDUCATION
           <2>  STAFF DEVELOPMENT

Screen for Entry 0 from main menu:

                   NOTES, CALENDARS AND NEWS

            <1>  CALENDARS
            <2>  NEWS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
            <3>  LIBRARY INFORMATION
            <4>  COUNTY EXTENSION OFFICE LOCATIONS
            <5>  FUTURES TASK FORCE REPORT
            <6>  EXTENSION SENATE

            <0>  SYSTEM NOTES

PENpages

PENpages is a database of agricultural and Extension related information
ranging
from daily, weekly, and monthly agricultural news and alerts to permanent
reference material. It is maintained by the faculty and staff of the
College of Agriculture and offered as a public service by the Cooperative
Extension of Penn State. Because there are so many services available on
this BBS only a few samples are included.  Explore, it is a FREE service.
PENpages and CENET are the two most extensive services mentioned here.

Telnet PSUPEN.PSU.EDU
Use your two letter state abbreviation as the username.

Sample Sign on Screen:

                                   PSU*PEN
                      The Pennsylvania State University

Username: NY

NOTE:         The PEN System will be unavailable from 5:00pm on
              Friday, May 1, until 5:00pm on Saturday, May 2 for
                            software installations.

PENpages Main Menu (after some introductory screens):

                         *** PENpages Main Menu ***

  PENpages User Information         Databases
  -----------------------------
   1..How to Use PENpages            5..MAPP - National Family Database
   2..Recent Changes                 6..International Food & Nutrition Database
   3..Recent Changes - Market News   7..Senior Series
   4..PENpages Announcements

  National & International News and Information

------------
   8..Ag*SAT                        11..PDA Ag & Weather Statistics
   9..Rutgers                       12..PA Calendars & Events
  10..USDA                          13..PA Market News
                                    14..PA News & Newsletters
                                    15..PA Drought Information

                        * To EXIT press Control-E *
                * <PF1> then 7 to go to a known page number *
 Choice:

Selection 2. (RECENT CHANGES) from PENpages Main Menu:
(Just a small sample)

NOTE: Enter number corresponding to the title to view document.
      View multiple documents by placing commas between numbers.

           DATE &
 #        CATEGORY                  TITLE
----     -----------

         30-APR-1992
   1.....AGING         Being a Resource for Your Sons and Daughters
   2.....AGING         Brookdale Granparent Caregiver Info Proj Underway
   3.....AGING         Making New Friends
   4.....AGING         Manual for Grandparent Caregivers
   5.....AGING         Regnier Finds Europ Models Assistd Liv Work Better
   6.....CALENDAR      Central Region Calendar July 1992
   7.....CALENDAR      Central Region Calendar June 1992
   8.....CALENDAR      Central Region Calendar October 1992
   9.....CALENDAR      RCE May Calendar
  10.....EMPLOYMENT    Out of State Employment Opportunities

Selection 3 from PENpages Main Menu:

                  Recent Changes to PENpages Market Reports
                       Publicly Accessible Information
NOTE: Enter number corresponding to the title to view document.
      View multiple documents by placing commas between numbers.

           DATE &
 #        CATEGORY                  TITLE
----     -----------
          1-MAY-1992
   1.....MARKET        Baltimore Onions & Potatoes Market
   2.....MARKET        Baltimore Vegetable Market
   3.....MARKET        Baltimore Wholesale Fruit Market
   4.....MARKET        Boxed Beef Cutout Report
   5.....MARKET        Central U.S. Carlot Beef Report
   6.....MARKET        Central U.S. Carlot Pork Report
   7.....MARKET        Meat Futures - Chicago Mercantile Exchange
   8.....MARKET        National Grain Market Summary
   9.....MARKET        New York Eggs - Market News
  10.....MARKET        New York Onions & Potatoes Market

Selection 4 from PENpages Main Menu:

                     *** PENpages Announcements ***

 System Announcements                   Content Announcements
 ----------------------------------
------------------------------------
1..What is "PENpages Announcements"     5..USDA News Releases on PENpages

2..New PENpages Usernames               6..Christmas Tree & Pest Management
                                             Newsletter Now in PENpages
3..Improvements to the Keyword
     Search Program                     7..USDA's Family Economics NEWS
                                             Now in PENpages
4..PENpages Main Menu Changes

Selection 5 from PENpages Main Menu:

                  ***  MAPP National Family Database  ***

MAPP INFO                                     MAPP NEWS
---------                                     ---------
 1..What is MAPP?

 2..How to Find More Information

 3..How to Contribute

WHAT IS MAPP?

MAPP is the national Cooperative Extension family database.  It supports
Cooperative Extension professionals and family educators around the
world.

MAPP contains:
  research briefs         reference materials
  bibliographies          media materials
  census data             publications
  program ideas           and more.

Selection 6 from PENpages Main Menu:

 **********  International Food And Nutrition (IFAN) Database  **********

Database Information               Food and Nutrition Information
--------------------               ------------------------------
1. What is the IFAN Database?      4.  Colorado State University column

2. How to Contribute               5.  Penn State Nutrition Center
     to the IFAN Database
                                   6.  ADA Position Paper:
3. What's New in the IFAN?             Nutrition Intervention in the
        April 27, 1992                 Treatment and Recovery from
                                       Chemical Dependency

The Nutrition Letter:              7.  1990 Dietary Guidelines: Alcohol
 8.  Volume 10(1):  January 1992
 9.  Volume  9(2):  April 1991
10.  Volume  9(3):  July 1991
11.  Volume  9(4):  October 1991

Selection 7 from PENpages Main Menu:

                         *** SENIOR SERIES ***

Senior Series Information                 Senior Series Newsletter
--------------------------                ------------------------
1.  What is the Senior Series?            4.  January 1992 Issue

2.  How to Find More Information

3.  How to Contribute

WHAT IS THE SENIOR SERIES?

     Do you need programming information on caregiving, nutrition, health,
financial management, and housing for older adults?  Research briefs and
conclusions, reference articles and bibliographies, publications and
program
ideas on these and many other topics can be found in the National Senior
Series
Database.

Selection 8. (Ag*SAT) from PENpages Main Menu:
(sample of announcements)

Posting-date: Thu, 2 Apr 1992 00:00 EST

     T H E  F O L L O W I N G   A R E   U P C O M I N G
                T E L E C O N F E R E N C E S
          T O  B E  B R O A D C A S T  V I A  A G * S A T
                   A S  O F  April 1, 1992

                    "DETERGENTS - IN DEPTH '92
              SAFETY OF HOUSEHOLD CLEANING PRODUCTS"

DATE:  Thursday, April 9, 1992
TIME:  11:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.   EASTERN TIME   TEST
       11:30 a.m. - 2:15 p.m.   EASTERN TIME   PROGRAM

Produced by Ohio State University with participation from Soaps
and Detergents Association.

VIEWING FROM SATELLITE:  This program will only be available on C
Band.

     C-Band:  Galaxy 6; Channel 21

For further questions contact Mitch Jacobs:
     Mitch Jacobs
     TV Program Manager
     216 Kottman Hall
     2021 Coffey Road
     Columbus, OH 43210

Phone:  614-292-2011           FAX:  614-292-2270

PROGRAM DESCRIPTION:  Videoconference that features up-to-the
minute facts about the safety of household cleaning products.

Selection 9.(Information from Rutgers University) from PENpages Main Menu:

                              *** Rutgers ***

                      1..Farm Management News & Views

                      2..Hort. Engineering Newsletter

                      3..Infomemo (Horse)

                      4..Visions Newsletter (Home Economics)

Sample screen from Rutgers Menu above (Selection 3):  (Note that this
contains a lot more than just horse information)

                             I N F O M E M O

                          43% OF BEEF SOLD IN
                             U.S. IS GROUND

Cattle-Fax, a market information service, has estimated that ground beef
will account for 43% of the beef consumed by the average American in 1991.
Average per capita consumption of ground beef (including hamburger and
beef used in processed products) will be an estimated 29 lbs. Consumption
of steaks and roasts will be an estimated 38.2 lbs., retail weight.

Thus, average per capita consumption of beef, on a boneless, edible-weight
basis. is expected to be 63.5 lbs. in 1991. Other estimates for 1991 on a
boneless-weight basis include 43.1 lbs. of pork and 51.4 lbs. of chicken.
In terms of per capita expenditures also, beef is the leading meat.
Americans spent an average of $189.39 for beef in 1990, equal to the
combined expenditures for pork and chicken.

(Source: "The Beef Brief", Spring 1991)

Selection 10 from PENpages Main Menu:

                               *** USDA ***

                      1..CITExtension Newsletter - April Issue 2

                      2..Farm Broadcasters Letter

                      3..Family Economics NEWS - April 1992

                      4..Market Reports

                      5..News Releases

                      6..Weekly World Weather & Crop Report

Selection 11 from PENpages Main Menu:

                     *** PDA Ag and Weather Statistics ***

 PDA Ag Statistics Service News

------
  1..Broilers            (weekly)        11..Poultry Production
  2..Milk Production     (monthly)       12..Turkey Production
  3..Potato Stocks       (monthly)       13..Wool Production
  4..Vegetables          (monthly)       14..Mushroom Production
  5..Egg Production      (monthly)       15..Trout Production
  6..Livestock Slaughter (monthly)       16..Non-Citrus Fruit & Nuts
  7..Hogs and Pigs       (quarterly)     17..Turfgrass Summary
  8..Grain Stocks        (quarterly)     18..Manufactured Dairy Products
  9..Crop Producation    (quarterly)     19..PA Machinery Custom Rates
 10..Acreage Planted     (biannually)

 PDA Weather Summaries

------
 20..Crop Weather Data                   21..Crop Weather Roundup
      (weekly during season)                 (weekly)

Selection 14 (PA Drought Information) from PENpages Main Menu:

                    --------------------------------------
                          Hay Suppliers By Region
                    --------------------------------------

                         1. Southeast
                         2. Northeast
                         3. Western
                         4. Central
                         5. Capital
                         6. Drought News Release

CENET - Cornell Cooperative Extension NETwork

This service is an electronic mail and bulletin board system.  It primarily
serves Cornell Cooperative Extension, county extension associations in New
York state, the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences at Cornell
University, the College of Human Ecology at Cornell University, other New
York state and federal agencies.  It is free to those groups mentioned
above.  Private citizens and businesses may subscribe for a fee.

Contact CENET for a subscription form:

     Extension Electronic Technology Group
     Cornell Cooperative Extension
     B-15 Wing Hall, Cornell University
     Ithaca, New York 14853-8101

     Phone:    607-255-8127
     FAX: 607-255-4950

     Internet: EETG@nysaes.cornell.edu

YOU MUST HAVE AN ACCOUNT BEFORE YOU CAN USE THIS SYSTEM!!!!!!

Sample screen:

CENET Main Menu

 1. MAIL       Read and send electronic mail
 2. CHEM-news  Information on chemical pesticides
 3. DAIRY      Information for dairy farms
 4. FIELD-Crops Field Crops information
 5. FOH        Floriculture and Ornamental Horticulture information
 6. FOOD       Food and nutrition information
 7. FRUit      Small fruit and tree fruit information
 8. HOME-grounds Home & Grounds information
 9. HUMAN-ecology Information from the College of Human Ecology
10. IPM        Information on Integrated Pest Management
11. MISc       Information on various topics
12. NATural-resources Information on Forestry, Wildlife and Water
13. VEG        Vegetable information
14. Weather    Weather information
15. REMarks    A place to suggest changes or ask any questions on CENET
16. SETtings   Change menu display and other settings

Enter a number, CAP letters of a command, BAck, BYE, or HELP for more info.

MAIN>

Since there are so many services available on this bulletin board,  I have
just included a list of "PRODUCTS" available.  The list is self explanatory.

Listed below are all products available on CENET.  The letter in the
parentheses shows what type of product it is: (P) is a program, (B) is a
bulletin board, (L) is a library, (M) is a menu. (* These products have limited
access.

CENET Main Menu & Sub-Menus
   MAIL             Read and send electronic mail (P)
   CHEM-news        Chem-News main menu
      BB-chem            Most Recent Pesticide Changes (B)
      PIMS               NY State Prod., Ingredient, & Manufact. Searching (P)
      PROfiles           Pesticide Profiles (Chem. Active Ingred. Info. (L)
      GENeral            General Information (Fact Sheets) (L)
      REGs               Pesticide Regulations (L)
      EXEmpt             NYS Section 18 Exemptions and SLN Labels (L)
      CERt               Pesticide Information For Certified Applicators (L)
      NEWs               Chemical Newsletter Report (L)
      STUdy              Pesticide Self Study/Dictionary (L)
      RECommends-menu    Pest Mgt. Recommendations
         BB-rec          Changes in pest management recommendations (B)
      RECommends      Pest Mgt. Recommendations (L)
      Issues             Pesticide Issues (L)
   COOP             Cooperative Extension information
    * AGProg             Information for ANR program leaders (B)
    * CAlendar           A calendar of upcoming extension meetings (B)
    * CE-4H              Coop Extension 4H Program Information
      * Resource Guide
         * RG-Browse     Descriptions of available 4H programs/projects (L)
         * RG-Download   Downloadable files from the CE4H resource guide (B)
      * FYI-CE4H         General 4H program notices (B)
    * COunties           Information for Cooperative Extension Offices (B)
    * ELect-tech         Electronic Technology News (B)
    * NEWS               Current news packets and releases
      * AG-am            Daily news digest from USDA (B)
      * CUNews           Cornell News Service releases (B)
      * MSNews           Media Services Ag and Consumer News Packets (B)
      * Radio            Media Services "Closer Look" Radio Scripts (B)
      * Satellite        Satellite video conference information (B)
      * USDA             Daily news releases from USDA (B)
    * EDuc               Inservice Education and Focus Week (L)
      STAFFdir           Cornell Cooperative Extension Staff Directory
       * REFerence       Staff Directory as a Reference Document (L)
       * UPdates         Staff Directory with Downloadable Files (B)
    * VACancies          Current Cornell Cooperative Extension vacancies (B)
    * PENpages           Access to Penn State's PENpages information sys.(P)
    * CUINFO             Cornell University INFOrmation system (P)
    * PROHELP            Information on PROMAS from PD&E (B)
    * SPCchrs            Statewide Program Committee Chairs (B)
   DAIRY            Dairy  information
    * MILKmkt            Current information on milk marketing situation (B)
      PRO-dairy          NYS dairy profitability & productivity project (B)
   FIELD-Crops      Field Crops information
      Agronomy           Agronomy information (L)
      FCRops             Field crop news (B)
      LIBrary            Information on field crops insects (L)
   FOH              Floriculture and Ornamental Horticulture
      INsects            Biology & control of insects in greenhouses (L)
    * LIB                Commercial F&OH information (L)
    * NEWs               Commercial F&OH news (B)
   FOOD             Food and nutrition information
      NUTrition          Information on nutrition (B)
    * PREServation       Questions and answers for food preservation (L)
      SAFETY             Information on food safety (B)
   FRUit            Small Fruit & Tree Fruit information
      PEST_status        Predictions for fruit pest/tree events (P)
      GRPfacts           Fact sheets on grapes and grape growing (L)
      GRApepests         Current Info on Grape Insect Pests (B)
      SMall-fruit        Small fruit information (L)
      SNews              Info on crop & pest status for small fruits (B)
      TFRruit            Tree Fruit Pest Fact Sheets (L)
      TFDisease          Tree Fruit Disease Key (L)
      TNews              Tree Fruit News (B)
   HOME-grounds     Home & Grounds information
    * NEWS               Home & Grounds News (B)
    * HGLib              Home & Grounds info, newsletters & resources (L)
      HGInsects          Home & Grounds Insects Fact Sheets (L)
   HUMAN-ecology    College of Human Ecology information
      Aging              Aging Resources (B)
    * CCBHS              Coop. Communication Between Home & School (B)
      CEH-News           Timely Consumer Information from CEH (B)
      CEH-Resources      Annotated bibliography of CEH resources (L)
    * FCL                Family Community Leadership (B)
    * SCHool-age         School age child care project (B)
      TXAeduc            Textiles & Apparel Educational Resources (L)
   IPM              Information on Integrated Pest Management
      PESTstatus        Pest event predictions for various commodities
         FRUIt           Predictions for fruit pest/tree events (P)
      ORNAmental      Predictions for ornamental pest events (P)
    * IPM-News           IPM Program News (B)
   MISc             Information on various topics
      AG-ENG             Agricultural Engineering information (L)
      BIOtech            Information for Biotechnology-Based Companies (L)
      Caep               Cornell Agricultural Energy Program (B)
      FARM-mgt           Farm Management (B)
      Global             Global Awareness
         Links           Global Links for Information Sharing (B)
         Awareness       Global Awareness Program resources (L)
      MACintosh          Macintosh software and information
         GRaphics        Graphics utilities and art (B)
         Das             Desk Accessories to help you out (B)
         Fonts           More fonts for brochures, manuscripts (B)
         GUidelines      Instruct on up & downloading Mac files (P)
         Hypercard       Stacks to let you do more with HyperCard (B)
         MIsc            Various applications (B)
         PROgramming     Items of interest to Macintosh programmers (B)
         TEmplates       Spreadsheets, letterhead examples, etc. (B)
         Utilities       Various small applications to help you out (B)
         VIRus-utils     Virus control utilities (B)
      NAMes              Displays CENET users names (P)
      NYStat             Releases from the NYS Agricultural Stat. Service (B)
      PONY               People of New York (L)
      PROD               Lists the products that are available on CENET (P)
      SEAgrant           Marine Science information (B)
   NATural-resources Information on forestry and wildlife
      CHRIStmas-trees    Christmas tree farming information and events (B)
      DAMage-news        Wildlife damage news (B)
      FORestry           Forestry News (B)
      FORGuide           A Guide to Forest Management (L)
    * LYME-disease       Lyme disease/tick information (B)
      WAter              Water Resource Education (B)
      WILDlife           Wildlife News (B)
   VEG              Vegetable information
      Eco-gardening      An Ecological Approach to Gardening (L)
      ONION-thrips       Onion Thrips Monitoring and Thresholds (L)
      VEGEtable          Vegetable news;  local crop and pest status(B)
      VEG-Pests          Fact sheets on vegetable insects and diseases (L)
      VEGVariety         Vegetable Variety Recommendation (L)
   WEAther               Weather information
      Agweather          Ag weather summaries, forecasts, data (B)
      Extended-forecasts Mid and long range weather forecasts (B)
      Forecast           NOAA Weather Forecast (P)
      Radar              Hourly weather radar summaries (M)
      Weatherdata        Displays Weather Data for Stations in NY (P)
   REMarks          A place to ask/suggest any question on CENET (B)
   SETtings         Change menu display and other settings (P)

MAIL BASED SERVICES

Note: The following instructions for using Almanac and listserv were
excerpted
from EXPLORING INTERNET: An Extension Agents' Introduction to Networking.

     Mailing groups, forums, discussion groups, and listservers are special
interest groups where questions or issues are sent to the group via e-mail.
Members of the group discuss the topic while all members observe the
dialog.
Some lists are more active than others and after subscribing to a list you
may
receive few or dozens of e-mail messages weekly. Mailing groups are
available
through Almanac. Listservers are available through Internet and BITNET.

     It's recommended that if you subscribe to a group or list that you have a
personal e-mail account. Remember when you reply to a question posted by a
member, your message is placed in the mailbox of every member of the group.

     Another type of mailing group available is a "server." Almanac servers
are
designed for one-way communications only.  They are typically used by an
author
to distribute newsletters or news releases. * Do not send mail to Almanac
mailing group servers.

HOW TO: Subscribe to an Almanac Mailing Group

     1.  Send an e-mail message to almanac@oes.orst.edu OR
  almanac@ecn.purdue.edu OR almanac@esusda.gov
   * Each site maintains a Mailing List Catalog for their
     location.

     2.  In the body of your message type the following:
  send mail-catalog
   * The Mailing List Catalog describes the mailing groups
     available at that site.
   * Items designated as "servers" are reserved for one-way
     communications. Subscribing to a "server" list is similar to
     signing up for to a newspaper or magazine subscription.  As
     new information is published you will receive a copy in your
     e-mail box.
   * Items designated as "forums" are  discussion groups or
     interest groups.

     3.  Send an e-mail message to the Almanac site where the mailing
  group you wish to join is located.

     4.  In the body of your message type the following: subscribe and
  the name of the group. For example to subscribe to Ag A.M. you
  would type the following: subscribe usda.agam

Almanac Servers (from EXPLORING INTERNET: An Extension Agents' Introduction
to Networking)

e-mail message to
almanac@esusda.gov. In the
message type the following:
subscribe usda.agam
e-mail message to
almanac@esusda.gov. In the
message type the following:
subscribe usda.cite
e-mail message to
almanac@esusda.gov. In the
message type the following:
subscribe usda.news
e-mail message to
almanac@oes.orst.edu. In the
message type the following:
subscribe fdmktnews-mg
***************

Name: National Agricultural Market
News Databasefrom the USDA
Agricultural Market Service
Service: Almanac database
Address: almanac@oes.orst.edu
Instruction: What's available:
Send an e-mail message to
almanac@oes.orst.edu. In the
message type the following:
 send market-news catalog
How to get a report:
 Send an e-mail message to
almanac@oes.orst.edu. In the
message type the following:
 send market-news and the code
number of the report, for
 example:  send market-news
mpcn001
e-mail message to
almanac@oes.orst.edu. In the
message type the following:
 send extension vacancies
**************

Name: Research Results
Databasefrom the Agricultural
Research
 Service and the Economic
Research Service
Service: Almanac database
Address: almanac@esusda.gov
Instruction: What's available: Send
an e-mail message to
 almanac@esusda.gov. In the
messsage type the following:
 subscribe usda.rrdb
 How to get a report: Send an
e-mail message to
 almanac@esusda.gov. In the
message type the following: send
 rrdb and the code number of the
report.
e-mail message to
 almanac@oes.orst.edu. In the
message type the following:
 send extension satellite-calendar
e-mail message to
 almanac@oes.orst.edu. In the
message type the following:
 subscribe sanet-mg
 To send a message: Send an e-mail
message to
 sanet-mg@oes.orst.edu
***************

Name: Sustainable Agriculture
Showcase Bibliography
Service: Almanac database
Address: almanac@oes.orst.edu
Instruction: What's available:
Send an e-mail message to
 almanac@oes.orst.edu. In the
message type the following:
 send extension showcase catalog
***************
Name: Water Quality Information
Management Database
Service: Almanac database
Address: almanac@ecn.purdue.edu
Instruction: What's available: Send
an e-mail message to
 almanac@ecn.purdue.edu. In the
message type send wq catalog
 How to get a report:
Send an e-mail message to
almanac@ecn.purdue.edu. In the
message type the following:
 send wq and the code number of
the report, for example:
 send wq wq-13.in

HOW TO: Subscribe to a Listserver Discussion Group

 1.  Send an e-mail message to LISTSERV@ followed by the listserver
  address. For example to subscribe to a list located at the
  University of Maryland you would type the following:
  LISTSERV@UMDD.UMD.EDU
   * Listservers are available via Internet or BITNET. Most
 BITNET systems require .BITNET as part of the address. Use
 all caps when using BITNET addresses.

 2.  In the body of your message type the command: SUB followed by
  the name of the list and your name. For example to subscribe to
  a list called "Dairy-L" you would type the following: SUB
  DAIRY-L Joe Smith

  name of the list followed by the listserver address. For
  example to ask a question to the "Dairy-L" members you would
  send an e-mail note to DAIRY-L@UMDD.UMD.EDU and put your
  question in the body of your message.

LISTSERVER Discussion groups related to agriculture
 (assembled from many sources)

**************

AG-EXP-L@NDSUVM1
Discussion of the use of Expert
Systems in Agricultural production
and management.
Bitnet:  LISTSERV@NDSUVM1
Internet:  LISTSERV@VM1.NODAK.EDU
**************

AG-FORST@IRLEARN   BIOSCI
AgroForestry E-conference
List for discussion of
AGROFORESTRY -- the cultivation
of trees in conjunction with the
raising of animals.
Bitnet/Earn:  LISTSERV@IRLEARN
Internet:  LISTSERV@IRLEARN.UCD.IE
**************

AGPGMR-L@WSUVM1  Ag Programmers
Inter/Intra- Disciplinary Interest
Group
Audience : Agricultural
programmers, administrators,
students, etc. with multi-
disciplinary computer questions or
otherwise unique computer
questions for the agricultural
community at large. Suggestion:
With virtually infinite possible
cross-disciplinary and unique (AG)
computer questions.
Bitnet:  LISTSERV@WSUVM1
Internet:
LISTSERV%WSUVM1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CU
NY.EDU
**************

AGRIC-L@UGA  Agriculture
Discussion
Topics may include, but are not
limited to: Grassland husbandry,
Crop Science, Simulation of
ecological processes and crop
production, (Tropical) Forestry,
Plant Physiology, Land
Development, Water Resource
management, Irrigation Science,
Soil Science, Plant propagation,
Cattle breeding, Pig farming
Bitnet:  LISTSERV@UGA
Internet:
LISTSERV@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU
**************

AQUA-L@VM.UOGUELPH.CA  The
Aquaculture E-conference
For individuals interested in the
science, technology and business
of rearing aquatic species.  In the
spirit of open discussion,
membership in the list is public
and unrestricted. Topics include:
Who's doing what and where?
Problems and solutions rearing
aquatic larvae. Diseases,
parasites and pathology. Water
quality. Recirculation technology
and applications. Research aquatic
systems design and operation.
Commercial aquatic systems design
and operation. Site selection.
Bitnet:  LISTSERV@UOGUELPH
Internet:
LISTSERV@VM.UOGUELPH.CA
**************

AQUIFER@IBACSATA Pollution and
groundwater recharge
Such in the increasing of
agricultural,industrial and civil
causes that an aquifer is not a
warranty of pureness of its water;
the aquifer has an own
vulnerability to pollution as a
function of different elements
linked like hydrogeological
parameters, chemical aspects and
water flow. Aquifers recharge is
one of the ways for controlling
pollution.
Bitnet:  LISTSERV@IBACSATA
**************

BEE-L@ALBNYVM1
BEE-L is for the discussion of
research and information
concerning the biology of bees.
This includes honey bees and
other bees (and maybe even wasps).
We communicate about sociobiology,
behavior, ecology,
adaptation/evolution, genetics,
taxonomy, physiology, pollination,
and flower nectar and pollen
production of bees.
Bitnet:  LISTSERV@ALBNYVM1
Internet:
LISTSERV@UACSC2.ALBANY.EDU
**************

BIO-INFO@IRLEARN.BITNET
LISTSERV@IRLEARN.BITNET
BIOSCI
Biological-Information-Theory
Bulletin
**************

BIO-JRNL@IRLEARN
BIOSCI Bio-Journals E-conference:
Postings of Biological Journal
tables of contents.
Bitnet/Earn:  LISTSERV@IRLEARN
Internet:  LISTSERV@IRLEARN.UCD.IE
**************

BIO-NAUT@IRLEARN BIOSCI Bionauts
E-conference:  Directory of
Biologists' online
The main purpose of the list is to
facilitate communications between
life scientists. This list will have
three main functions.  1) It can be
used to ask questions about
networking addresses of
scientists in the biological life
sciences. 2) If you have small
databases of E-mail addresses
related to your field of interest
they can be uploaded. 3) If you
subscribe you will be asked to send
ONE MESSAGE to BIO-NAUT which
gives a brief outline of who you
are and your main interests.
Instructions on the format of this
MESSAGE will be sent to all
subscribers individually.
Bitnet/Earn:  LISTSERV@IRLEARN
Internet:  LISTSERV@IRLEARN.UCD.IE
**************

BIO-SOFT@IRLEARN
Internet/Bitnet/Janet,Earn
distribution of the Usenet
newsgroup BIO-SOFTWARE.
The BIO-SOFTWARE newsgroup is not
moderated. Questions, answers, and
discussions are welcomed about
software related to the biological
sciences (or even about problems
with other software that
scientists might use in the course
of their work such as word
processors or communications
software).
Send subscription Requests to one
of the addresses below:

BIO-SOFTWARE%NET.BIO.NET@VM1.NOD
AK.EDU
bio-soft@NET.BIO.NET BitNet
**************

BIOCIS-L@SIVM.BITNET
BIOCIS-L Biology Curriculum
Innovation Study
LISTSERV@SIVM.BITNET
**************

BIOFORUM@IRLEARN.BITNET
BIOSCI Forum Bulletin Board
LISTSERV@IRLEARN.BITNET
**************

BIOJOBS@IRLEARN
BIOSCI Employment E-conference
Bitnet/Earn:  LISTSERV@IRLEARN
Internet:  LISTSERV@IRLEARN.UCD.IE
**************

BIOMATRX@IRLEARN BIOSCI Bio-
Matrix E-conference
Bitnet/Earn:  LISTSERV@IRLEARN
Internet:  LISTSERV@IRLEARN.UCD.IE
**************

BIOMCH-L@HEARN
E-conference for members of the
International, European, American,
Canadian and other Societies of
Biomechanics, and for others with
an interest in the general field of
biomechanics and human or animal
movement science. For the scope of
this e-conference, see, e.g., the
Journal of Biomechanics (Pergamon
Press), the Journal of
Biomechanical Engineering (ASME),
and Human Movement Science
(North-Holland).
Bitnet/Earn:  LISTSERV@HEARN
Internet:
LISTSERV%HEARN.BITNET@CUNYVM.CU
NY.EDU
**************

BIONEWS@IRLEARN  BIOSCI BioNews
E-conference
Bitnet/Earn:  LISTSERV@IRLEARN
Internet:  LISTSERV@IRLEARN.UCD.IE
**************

BIOPI-L@KSUVM.BITNET
Secondary Biology Teacher
Enhancement PI
LISTSERV@KSUVM.BITNET
**************

BIOSPH-L@UBVM
Anything relating to the
biosphere, pollution, CO-2 effect,
ecology, habitats, climate, etc.,
can be discussed.
Bitnet:  LISTSERV@UBVMS
Internet:
LISTSERV@UBVM.CC.BUFFALO.EDU
**************

BIOTECH@UMDC
The Biotechnology e-conference is
open for:
Software/hardware issues
Announcements
Submission of bulletins
Exchange of ideas and data
The server accepts commands from
the Subject:  line of a message.
The request for information and
previous bulletins can be sent to
BIOSERVE@UMDC.UMD.EDU (Internet)
BIOSERVE@UMDC  (Bitnet)
All requests to be added to or
deleted from this e-conference,
problems, questions, etc., should
be sent to the Coordinator:
Archives:  Previous bulletins are
archived on BIOSERVE server disk.
**************

BIRD_RBA@ARIZVM1 National Birding
Hotline Cooperative
BIRDCNTR@ARIZVM1  National Birding
Hotline Cooperative (Central
BIRDEAST@ARIZVM1  National Birding
Hotline Cooperative (East)
BIRDWEST@ARIZVM1  National Birding
Hotline Cooperative (West)
BIRDCHAT@ARIZVM1  Discussion of
the Birding Hotline Cooperative
BIRDBAND@ARIZVM1  for bird
banders to discuss their trade.
National Birding Hotline
Cooperative. The e-conference
provides a clearing-house for
transcribed  birding  hotlines
from  around  the  country.
(pick an e-conference in your
region)
Bitnet:  LISTSERV@ARIZVM1
Internet:
LISTSERV@ARIZVM1.BITNET@CUNYVM.C
UNY.EDU
**************

BNFNET Discussion Group for
Biological Nitrogen Fixation.
All requests to be added to or
deleted from this e-conference,
problems, questions, etc., should
be sent to the Coordinator. Send
your full name, postal address, and
a short description of your
work/interest in BNF.
Coordinator:
Eng-leong Foo
(Internet) Eng-
Leong_Foo_%KOM.KOMunity.SE@VM1.N
ODAK.EDU
***************

BRINE-L@UGA Brine Shrimp E-
conference
Bitnet:  LISTSERV@UGA
Internet:
LISTSERV@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU
***************

CIAMAA-L@USACHVM1 First Ibero-
American Conference of the
Atmosphere
Bitnet:  LISTSERV@USACHVM1
***************

CLADE@MSU Phylogenetics
Bitnet:  LISTSERV@MSU
Internet:
LISTSERV%MSU.BITNET@VM1.NODAK.ED
***************

CLASS-L@SBCCVM  Classification,
clustering, and phylogeny
Bitnet:  LISTSERV@SBCCVM
***************

CLIMLIST@OHSTVMA  E-conference
of Climatologists
Bitnet:  LISTSERV@OHSTVMA
Internet:
LISTSERV%OHSTVMA.BITNET@VM1.NODA
K.EDU
***************

CYAN-TOX@GREARN  The
Cyanobacterial Toxins E-
conference
Bitnet/Earn: LISTSERV@GREARN
***************

DAIRY-L@UMDD Dairy E-conference.
DAIRY-L@UMDD is a discussion
medium for professional educators
and extension workers advising the
dairy industry.  Questions
concerning problems or policies
faced by dairy producers are
encouraged, as are requests for
educational tools such as visual
aids, computer-aided decision
support tools, and outlines of
educational programs.
Bitnet:  LISTSERV@UMDD
Internet:  LISTSERVL@UMDD.UMD.EDU
***************

EBCBCAT@HDETUD1  Catalogue of
'Biotechnological' software
EBCBBUL is short for EBCB
BULletin board, a facet of the
European Bank of Computer
Programs in Biotechnology (EBCB).
EBCB is a non-profit making
organization mainly funded by the
European Community (EC).  The main
goal of EBCB is to stimulate and
facilitate the use of computers in
biotechnological training and
research in Europe. EBCBBUL will
not only promote user/user
communication, but will also
provide users with up to date
information (e.g. about
courses/congresses).
EBCBBUL is public, and anyone with
access to EARN can participate.
Bitnet/Earn:  LISTSERV@HDETUD1
Internet:
LISTSERV@HDETUD1.TUDELFT.NL
***************

ECONET@MIAMIU  A discussion of
Ecological and Environmental
Issues
Bitnet:  LISTSERV@MIAMIU
***************

EMBINFO@IBACSATA EMBNet(European
Molecular Biology Network)
Bitnet:  LISTSERV@IBACSATA
***************

EMBL-DB@IRLEARN.BITNET
BIOSCI EMBL-Databank Bulletin
Board
LISTSERV@IRLEARN.BITNET
***************

ENVST-L@BROWNVM The
Environmental Studies E-
conference
The purpose of this e-conference
is to exchange information about
Environmental Studies (ES)
programs,
Bitnet:  LISTSERV@BROWNVM.
Internet:
LISTSERV@BROWNVM.BROWN.EDU
***************

EQUINE-D on
LISTSERV@PCCVM.BITNET
Rec.Equestrian Digest
The Rec.Equestrian Digest is a
redistribution of articles from
the USENET rec.equestrian
newsgroup for persons without
USENET access. Distribution is in
digest format as described in RFC
1153 by Frank Wancho. The list is
currently running in read-only
mode; no
subscriber postings are permitted.
EQUINE-D originated as an
outgrowth of, and companion list
to, EQUINE-L.
Bitnet: LISTSERV@PCCVM
Owner:  W. K. (Bill) Gorman
<34AEJ7D@CMUVM>
***************

EQUINE-L @PCCVM Discussion Forum
for Horse Fanciers
EQUINE-L is an e-conference for
the discussion of all phases of
horse ownership, management, use
and related concerns for all horse
breeds, both hot and cold blood.
Bitnet:  LISTSERV@PCCVM.
***************

ETHOLOGY@FINHUTC Ethology
An unmoderated e-conference for
the discussion of animal behaviour
and behavioural ecology. Possible
topics could be e.g. new or
controversial theories, new
research methods, and equipment.
Announcements of books, papers,
conferences, new software for
behavioural analysis etc., are also
encouraged.
Bitnet:  LISTSERV@FINHUTC
Internet:
LISTSERV%FINHUTC.BITNET@CUNYVM.C
UNY.EDU
***************

HERB@TREARN.BITNET
Medicinal and Aromatic Plants
discussion list
LISTSERV@TREARN.BITNET
***************

HGML-L@YALEVM  Human Gene
Mapping Library
Bitnet:  LISTSERV@YALEVM
Internet:
LISTSERV@YALEVM.YCC.YALE.EDU
***************

HORT-L@VTVM1 Va Tech Horticulture
Dept. - Monthly Releases
Bitnet:  LISTSERV@VTVM1
***************

INFO-GCG@UTORONTO
E-conference covering topics in
computer aided molecular biology
and of particular interest to
users and managers of the
"Genetics Computer Group"
software from the University of
Wisconsin.
Bitnet:  LISTSERV@UTORONTO:
Internet:
LISTSERV@VM.EPAS.UTORONTO.CA
***************

ITRDBFOR@ASUACAD International
Dendrochronology Forum
Bitnet:  LISTSERV@ASUACAD
Internet:
LISTSERV@ASUVM.INRE.ASU.EDU
***************

MICRONET@UOGUELPH Fungus and
Root Interaction Discussion
Bitnet:  LISTSERV@UOGUELPH
Internet:
LISTSERV@VM.UOGUELPH.CA
***************

MOL-EVOL@IRLEARN
BIOSCI Molecular-Evolution E-
conference
Bitnet/Earn:  LISTSERV@IRLEARN
Internet:  LISTSERV@IRLEARN.UCD.IE
***************

MORPHMET@CUNYVM  Biological
Morphometrics
Bitnet:  LISTSERV@CUNYVM
Internet:
LISTERV@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
***************

NEWCROPS@PURCCVM E-conference
for New Crops
Bitnet:  LISTSERV@PURCCVM

***************

ORCHIDS@SCU.BITNET
MAILSERV@SCU.BITNET
Orchid growers
Willis Dair  <DAIR@SCU.BITNET>
This unmoderated list was created
to share and discuss information
and experiences of orchid growers.
***************

OTS-L@YALEVM  Organization for
Tropical Studies at Yale
University.
Bitnet:  LISTSERV@YALEVM
Internet:
LISTSERV@YALEVM.YCC.YALE.EDU
***************

PHOTOSYN@TAUNIVM  Photosynthesis
Researchers' E-conference
Bitnet:  LISTSERV@TAUNIVM
Internet:
LISTSERV@taunivm.tau.ac.il
***************

POP-BIO@IRLEARN POPULATION-
BIOLOGY
Population Biology is a synthesis
of population ecology and
population genetics, pursuing a
unified theory to explain the
structure, functioning and
evolution of populations of living
beings. Such populations are very
complex systems, exhibiting a
variety of phenomena that we stil
do not master. Just to quote a
famous example, multiannual
density cycles (e.g. in lemmings)
have not received a satisfactory
expalnation, despite of decades of
debated studies and speculations.
Population Biology is a very active
field, encompassing such diverse
approaches as tenacious, harsh
field work to track long term
demographic and genetic
fluctuations, or sophisticated
conversations with a computer
about strange attractors possibly
causing chaos in the density
fluctuations.

The BITNET and USENET names of
the new group are:
Internet  POPULATION-BIOLOGY
Bitnet POP-BIO
Use-Net bionet.population-bio
Bitnet/Earn:  LISTSERV@IRLEARN
Internet:  LISTSERV@IRLEARN.UCD.IE
If you wish to participate in the
the group, please send your
subscription request to the
appropriate BIOSCI node below.
More informations on BIOSCI can
also be requested at the adresses
below:
biosci%NET.BIO.NET@VM1.NODAK.EDU
Internet
biosci@net.bio.net  BitNet
***************

PROTEINS@IRLEARN  BIOSCI Protein-
Analysis E-conference
Bitnet/Earn:  LISTSERV@IRLEARN
Internet:  LISTSERV@IRLEARN.UCD.IE
***************

RBMI@FRULM11.BITNET
Groupe de Recherche en Biologie
Moleculaire e
LISTSERV@FRULM11.BITNET
***************

RECYCLE@UMAB Recycling in
Practice
Bitnet:  LISTSERV@UMAB
Internet:  LISTSERV@UMAB.UMD.EDU
***************

SCI-RES@IRLEARN  BIOSCI Science-
Resources E-conference
Bitnet/Earn:  LISTSERV@IRLEARN
Internet:  LISTSERV@IRLEARN.UCD.IE
***************

SM-RUM@ICNUCEVM Small Ruminant
E-conference
Bitnet:  LISTSERV@ICNUCEVM
***************

TITNET
An e-conference to promote
communication among scientists
working on tits (Paridae) and other
hole-nesting birds
***************

TROP-BIO@IRLEARN.BITNET
LISTSERV@IRLEARN.BITNET
BIOSCI Tropical Biology Bulletin
Board
***************

VETCAI-L@KSUVM Veterinary
Medicine Computer Assisted
Instruction
Bitnet:  LISTSERV@KSUVM
***************

VETMED-L@UGA Veterinary Medicine
Bitnet:  LISTSERV@UGA  Peered by
VETMED-L@VTVM2
Internet:
LISTSERV@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU

OTHER IMPORTANT SERVICES
Miscellaneous services of interest

The WAIS service below is important because the number of datbases is
contstantly growing.
There are WAIS stes available but this one is the best in my opinion.

Wide Area Information Server at THINK.COM

(Information below from HYTLENET-- see works cited.)

To connect, type  Telnet QUAKE.THINK.COM or 192.31.181.1
login: wais
Please type user identifier (optional, i.e user@host):

TERM = (unknown) vt100

The WAIS (Wide Area Information Service) system is a collection of
programs which provide for convenient information distribution over wide
area networks. Tools for both "publishing" and accessing information
sources are provided. The Simple WAIS (SWAIS) interface is a basic
access tool designed for those focused on data retreival and not
computer operation. It provides most of the functionality of the more
complicated interfaces but features a simple and potentially more
natural interface.  The functionality supported includes source
selection, keyword entry, and automatic document retrieval. I hope that
this tool may be of use.  Enjoy.

The WAIS system is the result of a joint project between Thinking
Machines, Apple Computer, and Dow Jones.  For more information on WAIS,
send mail to "wais-discussion@think.com".  The current release of the
WAIS software is available via anonymous ftp from think.com in
subdirectory wais.

Simple Wais 1.8 [built with WAIS release 8 b5]

John Curran (jcurran@nnsc.nsf.net)

Sample screens:

SWAIS               Source Selection    Sources: 230
#         ServerSource                  Cost
001:   [     archie.au]  aarnet-resource-guideFree
002:   [    archive.orst.edu]  aeronauticsFree
003:   [nostromo.oes.orst.ed]  agricultural-market-newsFree
004:   [    archive.orst.edu]  alt.drugsFree
005:   [    wais.oit.unc.edu]  alt.gopherFree
006:   [sun-wais.oit.unc.edu]  alt.sys.sunFree
007:   [    wais.oit.unc.edu]  alt.wais Free
008:   [    archive.orst.edu]  archie-orst.eduFree
009:   [     archie.au]  archie.au-amiga-readmesFree
010:   [     archie.au]  archie.au-ls-lRtFree
011:   [     archie.au]  archie.au-mac-readmesFree
012:   [     archie.au]  archie.au-pc-readmesFree
013:   [ pc2.pc.maricopa.edu]  ascd-educationFree
014:   [     archie.au]  au-directory-of-serversFree
015:   [    doppler.ncsc.org]  AVS_TXT_FILESFree
016:   [   cirm2.univ-mrs.fr]  bib-cirm Free
017:   [  cmns-sun.think.com]  bible    Free
018:   [zenon.inria.fr]        bibs-zenon-inria-frFree

Details on source 003: from above.

Name:           agricultural-market-news.src
Directory:      /sources/
Maintainer:     wais@nostromo.oes.orst.edu
Selected:       No
Cost:           Free
Server:         nostromo.oes.orst.edu
Service:        210
Database:       agricultural-market-news
Server created with WAIS release 8 b3.1 on Oct  5 22:48:47 1991 by wais@nostromo.oes.orst.edu

This server contains the agricultural commodity market reports compiled by the Agricultural Market News Service
of the United States Department of Agriculture. There are approximately 1200 reports from all over the
United States. Most of these reports are updated daily. Try searching for 'portland grain.'

For more information contact: wais@oes.orst.edu

Sample text retrieved using grain as the keyword:

INSPECTIONS  Subject:    WA GR101 GRAIN INSPECTIONS
Date: Mon, 04 May 92 11:30:43 AM

WA GR101
WASHINGTON, D.C. USDA, FEDERAL STATE, MAY 4, 1992
                 GRAINS INSPECTED AND/OR WEIGHED FOR EXPORT
                             - 1,000 BUSHELS -
                                                        CURRENT      PREVIOUS
                ------------ WEEK ENDING -----------  MARKET YEAR   MARKET YEAR
GRAIN           04/30/92      04/23/92      05/02/91    TO DATE       TO DATE

WHEAT            23,785        27,208        20,337     1,188,052       979,596
RYE                   0             0             0             0             0
OATS                 66            11             0           615            12
BARLEY            1,748         3,333            19        89,629        70,897
FLAXSEED              0             0             0             0             0
CORN             25,123        28,964        32,849     1,040,583     1,207,745
SORGHUM           7,148         9,142         4,559       195,941       161,724
SOYBEANS          6,733        11,161         6,606       551,326       411,856
SUNFLOWER             0             0             0         2,569             0

TOTAL            64,603        79,819        64,370     3,068,715     2,831,830

Geographic Name Server

Fascinating and potentially very useful service.  Try it. It is free!!

(information below from HYTELNET- See works cited)

To access type telnet 141.212.99.9 3000

Geographic Name Server, Copyright 1989, 1990 Merit Inc.  All rights
reserved.

Data came primarily from the US Geodetic Survey and the US Postal Service.
Coverage includes all US cities, counties, and states, as well as some US
mountains, rivers, lakes, national parks, etc. A few international cities
have also been included. Unfortunately, some minor inaccuracies remain.
Merit Inc. is not responsible for maintaining this data.

Queries should generally look like the last line of a postal address, as in
"Ann Arbor, MI 48103".

All these queries will also work:
1) ed(1)-style regular expression, like "[Bb]os.*n$"
2) A city name alone, like "Ann Arbor"
3) A ZIP or ZIP+4 code alone, like this: "46556", "48103-2112" NOTE: only the
first 5 digits in a ZIP+4 code are used.
4) As in 1) or 2) but with a state name or abbreviation, like this: "Ann Arbor,
MI", "Los Angeles, California"
5) As above but with optional nation name or abbreviation, like "Toronto, ,
Canada".  NOTE:  there are currently very few foreign cities.

Punctuation, white space, and upper/lower case are ignored. Any reasonable
state/nation abbreviations are recognized.

If a query fails, try expanding abbreviations (e.g. change "Mt."to "Mount",
etc.

Interpret server replies as follows:

0 [city name]
1 [county FIPS code] [county name]
2 [state/province abbreviation] [state/province name]
3 [nation abbreviation] [nation name]
A [telephone area code]
E [elevation in feet above mean sea level]
F [feature code] [feature name]
L [latitude DD MM SS X] [longitude DDD MM SS X]
P [1980 census population]
R [remark]
T [time zone]
Z [postal ("ZIP") code]

To exit the server, enter "stop", "end", "quit", "bye","exit", "logout", "logoff",
or control-D.

Direct questions or comments to Tom Libert (libert@eecs.umich.edu), or phone
(313) 936-3000.

FEDIX: On-line Information System for Colleges, Universities and other
Research Organizations

(information below from HYTELNET- See works cited)

To access, type telnet fedix.fie.com or 192.111.228.1
login: fedix

FEDIX is an on-line information service that links the higher education
community and the federal government to facilitate research, education,
and services. The system provides accurate and timely federal agency
information to colleges, universities, and other research organizations.

FEDIX provides daily information updates on:

  - Federal EDUCATION and RESEARCH PROGRAMS (including descriptions,
    eligibility, funding, deadlines).
  - SCHOLARSHIPS, FELLOWSHIPS, and GRANTS
  - Available used government RESEARCH EQUIPMENT
  - New funding for specific research and education activities from the
COMMERCE BUSINESS DAILY, FEDERAL REGISTER, and other sources.
  - MINORITY ASSISTANCE research and education programs
  - NEWS & CURRENT EVENTS within participating agencies
  - GENERAL INFORMATION such as agency history, budget, organizational
structure, mission statement, etc.

PARTICIPATING AGENCIES

Currently FEDIX provides information on 10 federal agencies. The
Department of Energy (DOE), Office of Naval Research (ONR),
NationalAeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), Air Force Office of
Scientific Research (AFOSR), and Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) are
providing comprehensive education- and research-related agency
information, while the National Science Foundation (NSF), Department of
Housing and Urban Development (HUD), Department of Commerce (DOC),
Department of Education (DOEd) and National Security Agency (NSA) are
providing minority assistance information, exclusively. Additional
government agencies are expected to join
FEDIX in the future.

                   FEDIX                       HELPLINE
         On-Line Information Service       (301) 975-0103

              FEDIX MAIN MENU

1 - COMPREHENSIVE AGENCY INFORMATION7 - Mail
2 - MINORITY PROGRAM INFORMATION8 - Announcements
3 - Search Programs (Cross-Agency)9 - System Updates
4 - Procurements, Notices and News10 - What is FEDIX?
5 - Utility Menu
6 - Downloadable Files

                      0 - Logoff

Weather Underground (University of Michigan)

Provides weather forecasts for the entire country. Who needs the WEATHER
CHANNEL?

(information below from HYTELNET- See works cited)

To access:

1.      Type telnet hermes.merit.edu or 35.1.48.150
2.      At the "Which Host?" prompt type um-weather

                 WEATHER UNDERGROUND MAIN MENU
              -------------------------------------
                1) Forecast for a U.S. city
                2) National Weather Summary
                3) Current weather observations
                4) Ski conditions
                5) Long-range forecasts
                6) Latest earthquake report
                7) Severe weather
                8) Hurricane advisories
                9) Canadian forecasts
                X) Exit program
                C) Change scrolling to screen

WORKS CITED
Documents used in the preparation of this guide:

Barron, Billy, UNT's Accessing On-Line Bibliographic Databases, University of
North Texas, 1992.
This document can be acquired via anonymous FTP on the node FTP.UNT.EDU.
This guide is one of the best and most comprehensive guides to library
catalogs on the INTERNET.

Dartmouth Merged List. Dartmouth maintains a merged list of the LISTSERV
lists on Bitnet and the Interest Group lists on the Internet. The files can
be obtained by anonymous FTP from DARTCMS1.DARTMOUTH.EDU <129.170.16.19>
in directory SIGLISTS.

EXPLORING INTERNET: An Extension Agents' Introduction to Networking; February
1992, USDA Extension Service, Washington, D.C. 1992. This document is
available in text format from Thomas G. Tate, Communications and
Information Technology,USDA Extension Service Room 3322-S,Washington,
D.C., 20250-0900, Phone (202) 720-8155, INTERNET: ttate@esusda.gov

Scott, Peter, HYTELNET 6.0, University of Saskatchewan Libraries, Saskatoon,
Sask, Canada,1992. This software package is available via anonymous FTP on
the node FTP.UNT.EDU.  HYTELNET is designed to assist you in reaching all
of the INTERNET-accessible libraries, Freenets, CWISs, Library BBSs, &
other information sites by Telnet.

SRI NIC Maintained Interest-Groups List of Lists. Available via anonymous
FTP from ftp.nisc.sri.com.

Other useful guides:  There are many others but these are the best.

BBN Systems and Technologies Corporation, Internet Resources Guide, April
1991, Available for anonymous FTP on NNSC.NSF.NET.

Kehoe, Brendan P. Zen and the Art of the Internet: A Beginner's Guide to the
Internet. This is the best guide to the INTERNET avaialble anywhere.
Available via anonymous ftp from ftp.cs.widener.edu, directory pub,
filename zen.

Martin, Jerry, There's Gold in them thar Networks!, or, Searching for Treasure
in all the Wrong Places.  (Network Working Group RFC 1290. Available via
anonymous ftp from nis.nsf.net, directory publications/rfc, filename
rfc1290.txt.

Noonan, Dana, A GUIDE TO INTERNET/BITNET, METRONET, January, 1992.
GUIDE1.TXT contains information on using a VAX, sending email, subscribing
to mailing lists, obtaining electronic journals, logging on to internet
bulletin boards, and using FTP to obtain files. GUIDE2.TXT contains her
latest list of internet libraries. (Jan. 1992 files) Available via anonymous
ftp form node HYDRA.UWO.CA in LIBSOFT directory.

NYSERNet, NYSERNet New User's Guide to Useful and Unique Resources on the
Intenet.  NYSERNet: Syracuse, New York. Available via ftp from nysernet.org,
directory public.]  [For more information contact editor@nysernet.org.]

St.George, Art and Ron Larsen, Internet - Accessible Library Catalogs &
Databases, University of Maryland, University of New Mexico, April 1991.
Available via anonymous FTP on ARIEL.UNM.EDU.

St.Sauver, Joe, The VAX Book, University of Oregon, 1989. Available for
anonymous FTP on DECOY.UOREGON.EDU.

--
Wilfred Drew (Call me "Bill")        Serials/Reference/Systems Librarian
SUNY College of Ag. & Tech.;   P.O. Box 902;  Morrisville, NY 13408-0902

Article 24567 of rec.gardens: