Seed Saving Resources

http://homepage.tinet.ie/~merlyn/seedsaving.html
--
Lawrence F. London, Jr. -|- Venaura Farm
InterGarden -|- http://metalab.unc.edu/london
lflondon@worldnet.att.net -|- london@metalab.unc.edu
Title: Seed Saving Resources

3 Sisters: Corn, beans, squash. ©? If I stole this picture from your site and you don't like seeing it here, please let me know.Seedsaving and Seedsavers Resourcesunder construction

Click on the icons to get to the different sections. Note: The buttons appear not to work with IE 4.0 [surprise, surprise...]. Any computer buffs out there who can look at the source and advise?

Click hereHeirloom and OP varieties: Saving Plant Genetic Resources
Click hereBotany, Genetics and Horticulture for Seedsavers
Click hereTrading seeds: Seed Exchanges on the Web
Click hereBuying heirloom and OP seeds: Non-profit organisations

Click hereBuying heirloom and OP seeds: Commercial sources

Click hereBuying organic seeds

Click hereNGOs and GOs concerned with Plant Genetic Diversity

Click hereBooks for Seedsavers

Click hereSupplies for Seedsavers

Saving Plant Genetic Resources - Why?

"Seeds are critical to our success as gardeners and farmers. They are compact packages of genetic information and stored food reserves, just waiting for the conditions found in warm, moist soil in order to germinate and create tomatoes, carrots, beans and thousands of other delights out of sunshine, air, water and soil. For most of the last ten thousand years of human history, seed-saving was something nearly everyone practiced, because in order to eat and therefore to survive, it was necessary. The grains and beans which formed the basis of most diets were both seed and food. Grown in large quantities, the best were saved for planting and the rest were eaten. Our ancestors did this each year, generation after generation through the centuries. Variations in climate, soil and techniques from garden to garden and community to community, accumulated through the years, creating the incredible diversity which existed over much of our planet well into this century. These local seeds were integral to life and culture everywhere. Unfortunately, the vast majority of these varieties has disappeared."
From Bill Duesing - Living on the Earth ©1999

"Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture (PGRFA) are the biological basis of world food security and, directly or indirectly, support the livelihoods of every person on Earth."
FAO ©1999

Read about 'Recent policy trends and developments related to the conservation, use and development of genetic resources' and on 'Intellectual Property Rights and Plant Genetic Resources' as published by the International Plant Genetic Resources Institute.

Read Amy Knutson's excellent article "Why Grow Open-Pollinated or Heirloom Plants?"

For the DEGerman speaker here's a similar article "Verbotene Früchte", based on a visit to an heirloom garden in northern Germany, and an interesting article on the legendary Vavilov Institute in Russia where a number of scientists starved to death while guarding samples of grain varieties in the institute's seed bank during the German siege of Leningrad in WWII.

Corn
Back to top

Botany, Genetics and Horticulture for Seedsavers

Back to top

Trading seeds: Seed Exchanges on the Web

Mailing lists

Bulletin Boards on the Web

Private individuals offering exchanges on their own websites

Exchanges off the WWW

Back to top

Buying heirloom and open-pollinated seeds: Non-profit organisations

Back to top

Buying heirloom and OP seeds: Commercial sources

Back to top

Buying organic seeds

Back to top

NGOs and GOs concerned with Plant Genetic Diversity

Back to top

Books for Seedsavers

Back to top

Supplies for Seedsavers