Re: diversity v monoculture and climate change

Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 16:12:40 -0800 (PST)
From: "M. Mattox" <mmattox@u.washington.edu>
Subject: diversity v monoculture and climate change

I am trying to research the differences in systems that are diverse
biologically and structurally compared to monocultures in the face of
climate change. If anyone has any ideas or sources I would really
appreciate the input.
I am largely concerned with forest systems but general issues or case
studies would be helpful.
As a means of future management for resources it seems that illustrating
the importance of diversity and variety is a fundamental issue. I hope to
be able to compile some coherent argument for this.
Any input would be great, my email is  mmattox@u.washington.edu
Thanks, Megan

> From: Michael Yount <yount@csf.Colorado.EDU>
> You might try:
>
> Scoones, I., et al., 1996,
> Hazards and Opportunities: Farming Livelihoods in Dryland
>    Africa - Lessons from Zimbabwe,
> London and New Jersey: Zed Books
>
> It goes into detail about the different ways in which
> rural people in Zimbabwe coped with the disastrous droughts
> in 1991 and '92.  (By "systems" I'm hoping you mean human
> communities, too.)
>
> Michael
> yount@csf.colorado.edu

Also appropriate might be the book:

"Food From Dryland Gardens"

An Ecological, Nutritional & Social Approach
to Small-Scale Household Food Production

by: David Cleveland and Daniela Soleri
    Illustrated by Daniela Soleri
    Center For People, Food, and the Environment, CFPE
    344 South Third Avenue
    Tuscon, Arizona, 85701, USA
    with support from the
    United Nations Children's Fund, UNICEF