Books on Sustainable Design
Many of these books were purchased collectively by the
staff and interns at Cross Timbers Permaculture Institute
while I worked there in late 1995 and early 1996. Since
then I've occasionally added new titles.
Many other excellent titles can be found at
Green Books, Devon, UK.
- Ancient Futures: Learning from Ladakh.
Helena Norberg-Hodge. Sierra Club Books, 1991.
- A Conspiracy of Optimism: Management of the
National Forests since World War Two.
Paul W. Hirt. University of Nebraska Press, 1994.
- Cornucopia: A Source Book of Edible Plants.
Stephen Facciola. Kampong Press, 1990.
- Ecological Design.
Sim Van der Ryn and Stuart Cowan. Island Press, 1996.
- Feng Shui: The Chinese Art of Placement.
Sarah Rossbach. Penguin Arkana, 1983.
- The Findhorn Garden. Pioneering a New Vision
of Man and Nature in Cooperation..
The Findhorn Community. HarperPerennial, 1975.
- Heirloom Vegetable Gardening: A Master Gardener's
Guide to Planting, Seed Saving, and Cultural History.
William Woys Weaver. Henry Holt, 1997.
- How Buildings Learn. What Happens After They're Built.
Stewart Brand. Penguin Books, 1994.
- How to Grow More Vegetables. 5th edition.
John Jeavons. Ten Speed Press, 1995.
- The Living Fields: Our Agricultural Heritage.
Jack R. Harlan. Cambridge University Press, 1995.
- A River Lost: The Life and Death of the Columbia.
Blaine Harden. W.W. Norton and Co., 1996.
- Seeds of Change: The Living Treasure.
Kenny Ausubel. HarperSanFrancisco, 1994.
- Shattering: Food, Politics, and the Loss of Genetic Biodiversity.
Cary Fowler and Pat Mooney. University of Arizona Press, 1990.
Shelter Publications, 1973.
- Sustaining the Soil: Indigenous Soil and Water Conservation
Edited by Chris Reij, Ian Scoones and Camilla Toulmin.
Earthscan Publications, 1996.
- Thermal Delight in Architecture.
Lisa Heschong. MIT Press, 1979.
Last updated July, 1997.
CSF's main permaculture page