[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
FEDERATION of INDONESIAN PEASANTS UNION
(FEDERASI SERIKAT PETANI INDONESIA)
On 8 July 1998, in Kampung Dolok Maraja, Bandar Pulau, Asahan, North
Sumatra, representatives from 9 peasants
organisations announced the formation of the Federation of Indonesian
Peasants Union (FSPI).
1. The authoritarian rule of the New Order regime did not allow for
freedom of political expression nor the freedom of
association and participation, especially by the people.
2. The New Order regime established a capitalist economic system which
encouraged the excessive exploitation of natural
resources and the people of Indonesia by monopolies in the hands of a
small group and class. Throughout the 32 years of the
New Order regime, land has been taken away from the people and turned
into industrial areas, golf courses and
3. The government deceived the people with its claims of economic
success, as is proven by the current economic crisis.
Economic development has been pushed right back to beyond 'point zero'.
4. Despite the severity economic crisis, the New Order regime still
attempted to rule with its existing authoritarian political
format, nothwithstanding that it claimed legitimacy for its rule on the
basis of economic development. That this political system is
redundant is evidenced not least by the riots and unrest throughout
April and May of this year.
5. The economic crisis resulted in the demands for reform and the fall
the New Order regime. Nevertheless, reform cannot be
attained, until Indonesia's economy is based on the development of the
agricultural and farming sector. The development of
these sectors includes both economic and political development.
In accordance with the above, the foundation of FSPI is a manifestation
of the committment and consistency of the struggle by
the peasants in Indonesia in general and represents the continuation of
the struggle of the peasants of Indonesia throughout this
FSPI struggle for reform is based on Religious Belief, Solidarity,
Independence, Democracy, Non-Violence and
FSPI's committment to this struggle will take the form of f a number of
programmes concerned with Agrarian and Social and
FSPI proposes to:
1. Lobby the government to implement Land Reform policies and to
recognize traditional land rights.
2. Promote, implement organic farming practices and the sustainable
exploitation of natural resources.
3. Develop farming cooperatives.
4. Promote the freedom of association and to provide a political role to
the peasants of Indonesia.
The first concrete step taken by FSPI to implement its principles is to
assist the peasants of Lampung whose harvest has failed,
by calling for the support and solidarity of all Indonesian peasants,
particularly in Sumatra, and to send them rice and other
Medan 12 July 1998
FEDERASI SERIKAT PETANI INDONESIA (FSPI)
RIDWAN A MUNTHE
DECLARATION OF FORMATION OF
THE FEDERASI SERIKAT PETANI INDONESIA
(FEDERATION of INDONESIAN PEASANTS UNION)
Indonesia is an agrarian nation whose economic development should be
based on sound agricultural development on which the
develoment of the state and its people as a whole should be founded.
In reality, the state has implemented a form of development which is not
in the interests of or in accordance with the
charcteristics of the Indonesian people.
We, the peasants of Indonesia have, in an organized and planned way,
made every effort to create development practices
based on the needs of the people and agricultural conditions of the
state. Our struggle has taken shape in the form of peasants
organisations and various actions.
We the peasants of Indonesia have not ceased in our struggle, although
this struggle did not receive the support of the political
system of the New Order regime.
In order to attain peaceful and beneficial existence for the peasants
and the people of Indonesia via agricultural reform and
We denounce the authoritarian political system which has chained the
peasants and denied them their rights to freedom of
expression and association. The authoritarian political system has
violated the peasants' rights.
We reject the capitalistic economic system which has resulted in the
theft of peasants lands, destroyed the environment and
forced the peasants into a biased and unfair trading system, as well as
violating the rights of traditional peoples.
We reject a cultural system which is not egalitarian and emancipatory.
Besides the violation of the peasants' political and
economic rights, the peasants' cultural systems have also been eroded.
Peasants have been isolated, left-behind in terms of
economic development, experienced social inequality, including
inequality in the relationship between gender. A culture based
on consumerism, indivisualism and inequality has destroyed their social,
moral and ethical foundation.
In order to overcome all the problems faced by the peasants of
Indonesia, with God's Mercy, we, the peasants of Indonesia,
found the FSPI in order to reclaim our right to self-determination and
to struggle for a just agrarian society and democratic
Dolok Maraja, Asahan, North Sumatra, Indonesia
8 July 1998
1. Representative of Organisasi Petani Aceh Aceh
2. Representative of Serikat Petani Sumatera Utara (SPSU)
3. Representative of Badan Perjuangan Rakyat Penunggu Indonesia (BPRPI)
4. Representative of Organisasi Petani Sumatera Barat
5. Representative of Organisasi Petani Riau
6. Representative of Organisasi Petani Jambi
7. Representative of Organisasi Petani Bengkulu
8. Representative of Organisasi Petani Sumatera Selatan
9. Representative of Persatuan Insan Tani Lampung (PITL)
FEDERASI SERIKAT PETANI INDONESIA
A. PEASANTS REPRESENTATIVES
Head: M. Yunus Nasution dari SPSU (Serikat Petani Sumatera Utara)
1. Afnawi Noeh, dari BPRPI (Badan Perjuangan Rakyat Penunggu Indonesia)
2. Abdul Gimin, dari P I I L (persatuan Insan Tani Lampung), Lampung
3. Salbiah, dari utusan organisasi petani Aceh
4. Kusnun Sukardi, utusan organisasi petani Jambi
5. Suharyo Sastrosuwignyo, utusan organisasi petani Riau
6. Henry Dunan, utusan organisasi petani Sumatera Barat
7. Sudirman, utusan organisasi petani Bengkulu
8. Hariadi, utusan organisasi petani Sumatera Selatan
B. EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
1. Head: Henry Saragih, SPSU (Serikat Petani Sumatera Utara)
2. General Secretay: Riduan A Munthe , organisasi petani Aceh
REPRESENTATIVES OF PEASANT ORGANISATIONS
ATTENDING THE DECLARATION OF THE
FEDERASI SERIKAT PETANI INDONESIA (FSPI)
1. Agus Syahputra Jl. P. Besar No. 38 Lambung Blang, Bendahara Aceh
2. Ridwan A. Munthei Jl. As-Sumatrani No. 3 Darussalam Banda Aceh, Aceh
3. Salbiah Desa Teluk Halban, Bendahara, Aceh Timur, Aceh
4. Andi P. Ritonga Padang Sidempuan, Tapanuli Selatan Sumut
5. Afnawi Noeh Medan, Sumatera Utara
6. Arief Jl. Brigjen Katamso, Sei Mati, Medan Sumatera Utara
7. Adi Purnomo Jl. STM, SukaEka Surya No. 45 Medan Sumatera Utara
8. Anhar Zulkifli Medan, Sumatera Utara
9. A. Damanik Dolok Maraja, Bandar Pulau Asahan, Sumatera Utara
10 Edi Prayitno Jl. Persaudaraan No. 35 Rantau Perapat Labuhan Batu,
11. Harun Noeh Medan, Sumatera Utara
12 Henry Saragih Jl. Karya Jasa No. 58 Medan, Sumatera Utara
13 Lisda Yani Jl. KH. Mas Mansyur, No. 34C Kisaaran, Sumatera Utara
14 M. Haris Putra Jl. Karya Jasa No. 58 Medan, Sumatera Utara
15 M. Yunus Jl. Karya Jasa No. 58 Medan, Sumatera Utara
16 Nelly Armayanti Jl. KH. Mas Mansyur, No. 34C Kisaaran, Sumatera
17 Suardi Mahmud Jl. Alumunium IV T. Mulia Medan Sumut
18 Sukardi Jl. KH. Mas Mansyur, No. 34C Kisaaran, Sumatera Utara
19. Waris Gang Melayu, Bukit Kijang, Bandar Pulau Sumatera Utara
20. Yusnaini Dewi Jl. Karya Jasa No. 58 Medan Sumut
21. Armen Muhammad Jl. Raya Kapas Panji KM. 3 No. 12, Bukit tinggi
22. Hendri Gunan Desa Anduring, 2x11 enam lingkung, Pariaman, Sumbar
23. Ifwardi Jl. Raya Kapas Panji KM. 3 No. 12, Bukit tinggi Sumatera
24. Aryo Laboi Jaya, SKPA, SP. I Bangkinang Riau
25. Kusnun Sukardi Jl. Ks. Pudak, Rt.07 No. 1 Batang hari, Jambi
26. Tony Offe Jl. Empu Gandring No, 50 Jambi
27. Muspani Jl. S. Parman No. 39 Bengkulu
28. Sudirman Tengah Padang, Talang IV. Bengkulu
29. Sapta Lasta Putra Jl. Belitung No. 57/XV Suka Merindu , Bengkulu
30. Wahdan Jl. Meriam Kecepek, desa Tabalagan Talang IV Bengkulu
31 Abu Jufri Hasan Perumahan PU Pengairan, Jl. AR Sugihan 842 Suka Maju
32. Angkut Desa Bangsai, Pampangan Ogan Komering Ilir, Sumsel
33. JJ. Polong Jl. Seduduk Putih, No. 10 A Palembang, Sumsel
34. Dedi Mawardi BandarLampung
35. Abdul Gimin Bandar Lampung