Re: Lead bioremediation in gardens

Yes, Lead  is an issue here in Downtown Eastside, Vancouver, Canada.

Lead is a very serious issue and it won't go away and interms of community
gardens an enduring problem that continues far into the future.

Situation: Old 1905 house near the docks, by the extremely busy Hastings street.

History:  There used to be a battery recycling place in town nearby but it
got closed because of high lead emmisions.  Lead emmisions from cars caused
serious contamination.  The child of the adults living here for 50 years
and gardening is mentally unstable.  (why who knows... but read on oh the
horror)

Lead cannot be broken down (by chemical means and is used in sheilding
against radioactivity). Its an element.

I had a problem here while doing a permaculture work party (a herb spiral)
my housemates sanded the paint with a sander after I told them not to.  I
tested it at http://www.cantest.com/ and found 6000p/m 10x modern 1977
paint standards .  The standards for drinking water has been cut in half.
to .05 p/m  My housemats now can't agree on who decided to sand.  They are
really confused - partly to hide from my anger and their own guilt.

I was upset the paint dust had got into everything food dishes everywhere.
I bought calcium pills after the test came it (what a pain to test!) and
take a fair bit. I will keep taking them for a while so the lead is diluted
in my system (I could not convince my GP to test my blood). It gets into
the bones then out again hanging around like a nuclear nightmare ie long
long 1/2 life.

There is thought to be no safe dose of lead. Reason: it is a chemical mimic
for calcium which is key for 100's of chemical pathways in your body but
most of all for one of your biggest organs: your brain.  It causes
irreversable nerve damage.  Read the good report on lead from the lab.
Brain damage in adults is really really hard to detect - but the experience
from Grassy Narrows (mercury poisoning) meant the destruction of a
community (a genocide they were - Indigenous) and broken marriages, broken
society, suicide, murder, early death high accident rate etc...

For community gardens the design problem is the people who start the
gardens rarely stay, the information gets lost and people don't care when
they should and don't like bad news.  My suggestion in this case is to
remove the problem (soil) seal yourself from it or give up and close it
down.  If you don't somebody will just posion themselves in ignorance. Most
of us get too much lead already.  At Cottonwood community gardens nearby
after only 10 years nobody knows where the hotspots are because the info
has been lost.  So don't avoid the basic issue it is the lives of people at
stake - and playing the edges is not responsible.

Obviously, loading the soil with calcuim and organic matter will help: but
the real problem is lead and it is persistent.  (calcuim gets washed out
easily in watered soils)

So for my house the design includes mega thick mulches, huge variety of
crops so no one type of plant can be eaten exclusively or for long periods.
Lots of calcium. Lead testing take composites fromall around and do more if
their seems to be high levels. Calcium pills. Imported soils. Production of
fruit over leaf and root ie few annual vegetables. And personally, a short
stay and raise no children here.

True and proper bioremediation for heavey metals is this: grow trees for
structural timber for generations until the lead is well below toxic levels
(if that can ever be found!). ( It is not a place for agroforestry.)
Realistically, the toxic site (if the soil cannot be removed) is a good
place to cover completely with concrete and build what you want on top of
it.

I received this most gruesome article on lead (2nd article) just a few
months back below.

The second article is of most interest.