Subject: Re: How do you keep the chicken from eating the plants)

From: Vicki Garland <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 May 1996 14:23:06 -0600 (MDT)

>Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 21:42:37
>To: Sal Schettino <[email-masked]>
>From: Vicki Garland <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Re: How do you keep the chicken from eating the plants)
>
>Hi Sal..Will send the few pages from the book right away...The plan is to
get the tractor built today and get the hens situated...Just a few little
Bantys to HOPEFULLY eat up the thousands of grasshoppers that have hatched
out in the last three weeks and leveled all my plantings.  It is still early
enough in the season to get another planting in. Currently have three baby
turkeys growing..too small to put out yet and need help NOW.  Tried
everything else from diatomaceous earth to Nosema with little success. Hope
the birds are hungry for hoppers. We're in a miserable drought and living
here temporarily while finishing school so are on a small scale..just
getting 4 hens so are making a small tractor..4'x 6' and 3' high. It will
have four nesting boxes(12"x12"x10") on one end, feeder and waterer
suspended from the top so they move gracefully along with the
tractor,lightweight galvanized roofing on top, back and ends and chicken
wire across the front. Plan is to let chickies roam around the first few
days to forage (don't care if they eat remains of plants since there is not
much left) and then move them in the tractor every few days to grazing
areas.  There are lots of alternative methods but think this will serve our
needs best.  The lid will open to change food and gather eggs.  
>        Enjoyed the part of your web page I was able to tap into in limited
time last evening.  Thank you for all the info and effort..I have never had
a cherimoya..what are they like? We are looking to relocate to a more
abundant, verdant, growing area SOON..where I can grow a wider range of
plants.  After all the years I grew in the Pacific Northwest, this New
Mexico climate delights me with the amazing sunshine but I grieve the lack
of water.  Take care and love those plants!              
>                 Vicki Garland
>
>
> At 05:49 AM 5/15/96 -0700, you wrote:
>>Sal Schettino
>>7074 Casitas Pass Rd.
>>Carpinteria,Ca. 93013
>>
>>Thanks I would like to see the plans.  What kind of tractor are you
>>making?  
>>
>>
>>On Tue, 14 May 1996, Vicki Garland wrote:
>>
>>> At 07:05 PM 5/14/96 -0700, you wrote:
>>> >
>>> >I read in the permaculture book about building a chicken coop in the green
>>> >house so the chickens will heat the greenhouse with their body heat.I
>>> >would sure like to know more about this.  How do you keep the chickens
>>> >from eating the plants. Where can I get the plans for such a coop. 
>>> >thanks
>>> >
>>> >
>>> >Sal Schettino,Organic Farmer,don't panic eat organic,[email-masked]
>>> >or check out my homepage:            http://www.rain.org/~sals/my.html    .
>>> >
>>> >Hi Sal! I just read*Chicken Tractor-the Gardener's Guide to Happy Hens and
>>> Healthy Soil* by Andy Lee. It's very informative and has a good chapter on
>>> greenhousing chickens that could be helpful for you.  I haven't had chickens
>>> in my greenhouse yet but am in the process of building a tractor. If you
>>> don't have an interest in getting the book, I will copy the specific pages
>>> on the greenhouse info and snailmail them to you.  Address, if interested.
>>> Vicki Garland
>>> >
>>> >
>>> 
>>> 
>>
>>
>>Sal Schettino,Organic Farmer,don't panic eat organic,[email-masked]
>>or check out my homepage:            http://www.rain.org/~sals/my.html    .
>>
>>
>>
>>
>