Subject: Eco-Cities and Permaculture

From: "Inst. for Bioreg. Studies" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 10:35:50 -0300 (ADT)

Enclosed is information on the summer programs hosted by the 
Institute  for Bioregional Studies. We believe that these 
programs will be the most exciting and promising programs that 
we have ever offered so please, forward the message to others 
who may also be interested. 

These details can also be found on our newly created homepage;   
http://www.cycor.ca/IBS/   

If you have any questions, respond by e-mail or call. For a 
hard copy of our brochure (not necessary to register) send $2.

This summer learn practical skills and knowledge to design and 
implement sustainable systems that are in harmony with the 
natural world.

Permaculture Design Course  August 4-17, (at the Spry Point 
Ark, formerly the New Alchemy Institute)

Eco-Cities Design Colloquia: Building Sustainable Communities 
August 18-21,   Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

Affordable Housing / Straw-bale Construction Workshop 
August 25-27 
This hands-on workshop wil explain the mechanics of building 
with straw-bales and designing a home for energy efficiency. 
*************************************************************** 
***************************************************************  
Permaculture Design Course:   August 4-17,  Spry Point Ark 
(Formerly The New Alchemy Institute) 
King's County, Prince Edward Island

Introduction: 
Through lecture, discussion, observation and hands-on learning, 
participants will develop the practical skills and knowledge to 
design and implement sustainable systems that are in harmony 
with the natural world. With roots in the design of sustainable 
agricultural systems permaculture has evolved into a program 
for designing ecological communities and restoring  urban 
centers. It is about self-reliance, growing food, and building 
creative, beautiful, energy-efficient structures from local 
materials. Permaculture principles and design methodologies  
can  be applied anywhere. in the world.   

Course Topics: 
*Permaculture methodlogy 
*Ethics  of  permaculture 
*Observation  Skills 
*Bioregional Mapping 
* Local  Self-Reliance 
*Site  Analysis 
*Medicinal  Herbs 
*Organic  Agriculture 
*Agroforestry  Systems 
*Edibile  Landscaping 
*Keyline  System 
*Land Trusts & Communities 
*Aquaculture 
*Greenhouses 
*Erosion  Control 
*Soil  Microbiology 
*Sustainable  Forestry 
*Ecosystem  Restoration 
*Livestock  and  Wildlife 
*Urban  Permaculture 
*Appropriate  Energy 
*Working  in  the  South 
*Formal & Informal  Economies 
and  much,  much  more.......

Instructors: 
Monica Kuhn, architect and co-founder of Rooftop 
Gardens Resource Group. Frequent teacher of permaculture and 
urban greening issues.

Garry Lean, permaculture designer and professor  of Integrated 
Resource Management at Sir Sandford  Fleming College.

Phil Ferraro, Director, Institute for Bioregional Studies, and 
Permaculture Designer.

Dr. Dan Earle, Professor Landscape Architecture; Louisiana 
State University. Permaculture designer.

Dr. John Todd and Nancy Jack Todd, Co-founders of the New 
Alchemy Institute and Ocean Arks International. Pioneers in 
biological technologies and ecological planning.

Plus: Guest Speakers involved in sustainable agricultural, 
renewable energy, ecological planning and green economics.

Certification: 
Course graduates will be certified as Permaculture Design 
Trainees.  Graduates are entitled to use the term 
"Permaculture" in the pursuit of livelihood, and educational 
uses.

Permaculture Course Site and Facilities     
The Spry Point Ark was constructed on a 96 acre penninsula in 
eastern PEI, by the New Alchemy Institute in the 1970's. Its 
original purpose was a research centre for the science and 
practice of ecological technologies. Today it is managed as a 
"three star" inn and restaurant by the local community 
cooperative. The beautiful natural surroundings, panoramic 
views, hikng trails, cliffs and sandy beaches make this an 
ideal setting for visiting, learning and relaxing. The PDC 
participants will develop a site plan for the entire penninsula 
and evaluate its potential for creating an 'eco- village'. 
Classes will be held in the barn. Morning and evening meals 
will be served in the restaurant with a noon time meal served 
outdoors. A group camping site is being established however 
participants can make separate arrangements to stay in the inn. 
You can call the Ark Inn at  1 800 665-2400 or (902) 583-2400 
to reserve a room during the PDC.

Some precepts basic to both permaculture  and  bioregionalism: 
* Basis  in  ecology. 
* Basing  unique  culture  on indigenous  materials.                                                                                                                   
* High  degree  of  local  self-sufficiency. 
* Observation / awareness  of boundaries  of  plant  and  
	animal  communities. 
* Preservation  and restoration  of native  plant 
	communities. 
* Aesthetics. 
* Worker-owned,  enterprises with  non-exploitative 
	relationships. 
* Decentralized,  participatory, democratic  governance. 
* Recognizing relationships between elements  in  the  system 
	and  maximizing symbiotic relationships. 
************************************************************** 
************************************************************** 
Eco-Cities Design Colloquia: 
Designing Sustainable Communities 
August 18-21,     Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

The Challenge     
Cities are the most complex products of humankind. They have 
always been centres of human endeavor and artistic excellence. 
During the 20th century they have become global environmental 
parasites; processing food, fuel, energy and consuming 
resources well beyond their boundaries. In the 21st century, 
cities must function in very different ways or they will 
undermine their own survival and that of their inhabitants.

Action Plans     
An outstanding group of facilitators will work with 
participants to develop a model eco-city along the Charlotetown 
waterfront; on lands the city is currently soliciting proposals 
for. The new plans will offer organizational approaches that 
budget our resources, conserve energy, utilize renewable energy 
technologies, build long lasting structures, develop efficient 
public transportation, reduce and recycle wastes and supply 
staple foods locally.  

Presentation and Workshop Topics: 
* Contemporary Perceptions of Eco-Planning

* Identifying Issues and Establishing Planning Goals

* Inventory and Analysis of the Physical Environment

* Precepts of Eco-Design

* Neo-Traditional Design/New Urbanism

* Permaculture Design and Bioregional Planning

* Urban forestry, and Urban Agricultural Systems

* Appropriate Technologies (food, energy, shelter)

* Eco-Planning for Wildlife and for Humans 

* Strategies for Regenerative Design

* Guiding Principles for Regional Planning

* Waste as a Resource

* Economic Policy and Transition

* Applying Ecosystem Planning Concepts

* Case Studies

Who Should Come 
Architects, Builders, Landscape Architects, Landscapers, 
Planners, Artists, Developers, Farmers, Engineers, Technicians, 
Teachers, Urban Activists, Permaculture Designers, and Citizens 
of Urban Neighborhoods whose interest is to renew cities so 
that they continue to be places where people come together to 
celebrate the creativity of urban life.

Site and Facilities 
Simply known as "the Island" to Canadians, Prince Edward Island 
is a safe, enjoyable destination for vacationers of all ages. 
Charlottetown is the provincial capital and the "Birthplace of 
Confederation". It offers hundreds of attractions and 
activities to suit all tastes.

Participants will stay in 'co-housing' apartments, at Blanchard 
Hall, on the University of Prince Edward Island campus. 

Breakfast and snack foods will be provided in each apartment. 
Evening meals can be prepared in the apartments or participants 
can dine out. Stores, restaurants and entertainment venues are 
within walking distance.

Workshops will be a short walk or bike ride down the newly 
completed Confederation Trail, which runs through the centre of 
the city, to the waterfront.

List of Invited Speakers to Date:

Dr. Doug Aberely, editor, Futures by Design: The Practice of 
Ecological Planning and Boundaries of Home: Mapping for Local 
Empowerment.

Dr. David Bell, Dean, Faculty of Environmental Studies, York 
University

Dr. Janis Birkeland, Co-Director, Centre for Environmental 
Philosophy, Planning & Design, Univ. of Canberra, Australia

Monique Cote, Architect, Permaculture Designer

Dr. Ray Cote, Director, School of Environmental Planning, 
Dalhousie University. Ray, has developed a system for designing 
industrial parks as closed ecosystems, recycling and reusing 
wastes.

David Daughton, Former coordinator of the Atlantic Peoples 
Housing Coop and National Chairperson of the Canadian 
Environmental Network.Certified co-op housing federation. Chair 
of the Health Information Resource Centre.

Dr. Dan Earle, Professor of Landscape Architecture, Lousiana 
State University, Permaculture Designer

Phil Ferraro, Director, IBS, Conference Coordinator and 
Permaculture Designer.

Ole Hammarlund, Architect

Mike Kohler, Architect and Town Planner

Karen Lipps, Landscape Architect

Malcolm Lodge, Professional Engineer, Wind Energy Technology 
Expert, President, Island Technologies Inc, "Wind Energy and 
Electrical Engineers "Charlottetown, P.E.I. Founder of the 
Atlantic Wind Test Site, Canada's National Laboratory for wind 
energy research and development at North Cape, P.E.I.

Christine MacKinnon, Policy and Planning Coordinator, 
Department of Environmental Resources, Prince Edward Island.

John Massengale, AIA, architect, town planner and writer. He is 
co-author, with Robert A.M. Stern, of *New York 1900, 
Metropolitan Architecture & Urbanism, 1890-1914* and *The 
Anglo-American Suburb*, and is writing *The End of 
Architecture, The End of Sprawl* with a grant from the Graham 
Foundation for Advanced Studies in the Visual Arts. Mr. 
Massengale was Town Architect of Seaside, Florida in 1986, and 
is a member of the Congress for the New Urbanism.

Ernie Morello, Charlottetown Area Development Corporation

Don Poole, City Planner, Charlotetown, PEI

Dr. William Rees, Dean, Community and Rural Planing, UBC. Bill, 
coined the  term, "Our Ecological Footprint" for a system used 
to estimate  our sustainability .

David Slabotsky, President, Atlantic Resource Conversion Co-op 
Parks Manager, Wolfville, Nova Scotia.

Dr. John Todd, Co-founder of the New Alchemy Institute and 
President of Ocean Arks International. A pioneer in the use of 
ecosystems as a form of technology-Living Macines-for the 
treatment of wastes, purifying water and food production. Co- 
authored: "Reinhabiting Cities and Towns: Designing for 
Sustainability", "The Village as Social Ecology", "From Eco- 
Cities to Living Machines" and numerous other works on 
sustainable living.

Nancy Jack Todd, Co-founder of the New Alchemy Institute and 
editor of 'Annals of the Earth'. Co-winner of the Swiss 
Threshold Award, Friends of United Nations Environment 
Programme Award and the Chrysler Award for Innovation in 
Design. Currently working on a book about women and ecology.

and others.

Summer Program Fees

Permaculture Design Course: (August 4-17) $725. 

Course fees for USA Residents: At current rates of exchange 
this is less than U.S.$500.00. (Please pay in Canadian 
currency.)

Eco-Cities Colloquia (August 18-21) $495.00

Housing Workshop (August 23-25) $125.00

PDC plus Eco-Cities Colloquia $ 985.00.

PDC, Eco-Cities Colloquia plus Housing Workshop $1050.00

Childcare 
Special arrangements can be made for childcare. Please call IBS 
prior to registering.

Some Other Reasons for Coming to Prince Edward Island

PEI is known for Its beauty, friendly people and relaxed 
lifestyle. It is also a magical blend of sand, clay and sea 
bursting with festivals, events & exciting family 
attractions.There are major events occuring before, during and 
after the IBS programs. Come early! Stay late! And play on our 
island! For more information call Tourism PEI at: 1-800-4PEI

Registration Form 
(Please print-out this form; fill it out and mail it to: 
IBS, 449 University Avenue, Suite 126, 
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada C1A 8K3.)

Name_______________________________________________________

Address____________________________________________________

       ____________________________________________________

Phone  ____________________________________________________

Programs I plan to attend:
____ Permaculture Design Course
____ Eco-Cities Conference
____ Strawbale Const. Workshop

____ Enclosed  is  my  tuition plus  7%  GST. Make payment by 
certified bank cheque or money order in Canadian  funds 
payable to: Institute for Bioregional Studies.

____ I will campout at $5.00/night. During the PDC and/or 
     Strawbale Workshop.

____ Enclosed is my camping fee

or

____  I have called the Ark Inn
(Phone: 1 800 665-2400 or (902) 583-2400) and reserved 
a room for the PDC.
Rooms are payable to The Spry Point Ark Inn at time of 
arrival. A deposit may be required. 

Pets  *Please* No pets.

Families are welcome on site for the additional cost of room 
and board only.

   Bioregionalism, is an attempt to understand the 
interdependencies of people and the environment so that society 
can become more conscious of its heritage and the particular 
regions that sustain us. The "bioregional" perspective means 
that our focus is on the design and evolution of healthy, 
interdependent and self-reliant communities.   Today we cannot 
just, "Think  Globally and  Act Locally". We also need to, 
"Think Long Term and Act Now". Therefore, IBS was founded to 
demonstrate the recent, ecologically oriented, scientific, 
social and technological achievements that are relevant  to  
achieving the goal of an ecological  society.

For more information reply to this message, or visit our www 
site, home page at:  http://www.cycor.ca/IBS/  
or Send $2 for a print copy of our brochure.

Phil Ferraro, Director
Institute for Bioregional Studies
449 University Avenue Suite 126            "Developing Local Solutions to 
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island	    Global Problems"
Canada   C1A 8K3
(902) 892-9578