Subject: Permaculture Course

From: "Inst. for Bioreg. Studies" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 21:32:10 -0300 (ADT)

Important Notice: Please forward to others.

Permaculture Design Course   August 4-17
Spry Point Ark (Formerly The New Alchemy Institute)
King's County, Prince Edward Island

Introduction:
Through lecture, discussion, observation and hands-on 
learning, students will develop the practical skills and 
knowledge to design and implement sustainable 
systems that are in harmony with the natural world.
With roots in the design of sustainable agricultural systems 
permaculture has evolved into a program for designing 
ecological communities and restoring  urban centers. It is 
about self-reliance, growing food, and building creative, 
beautiful, energy-efficient structures from local materials. 
Permaculture principles and design methodologies  can  be 
applied anywhere. 
in the world.   

Course Topics:
*Permaculture methodlogy *Ethics  of  permaculture 
*Observation  Skills *Bioregional Mapping*
Local  Self-Reliance *Site  Analysis *Medicinal  Herb 
*Organic  Agriculture *Agroforestry  Systems
*Edibile  Landscaping *Keyline  System
*Land Trusts & Communities *Aquaculture *Greenhouses
*Erosion  Control *Soil  Microbiology
*Sustainable  Forestry *Ecosystem  Restoration
*Livestock  and  Wildlife *Urban  Permaculture
*Appropriate  Energy *Working  in  the  South 
*Formal & Informal  Economies
and  much,  much  more.......

Instructors: 
Monica Kuhn, architect and co-founder of Rooftop Gardens 
Resource Group. Frequent teacher of permaculture and urban 
greening issues.

Garry Lean, permaculture designer and professor  of 
Integrated Resource 
Management at Sir Sandford  Fleming College.

Phil Ferraro, Director, Institute for Bioregional Studies, 
and Permaculture Designer.

Dr. Dan Earle, Professor Landscape Architecture; Louisiana 
State University. Permaculture designer.

Dr. John Todd and Nancy Jack Todd, Co-founders of the New 
Alchemy Institute and Ocean Arks International. Pioneers in 
biological technologies and ecological planning.

Plus: Guest Speakers involved in sustainable agricultural, 
renewable energy, ecological planning and green economics.

Certification: 
Course graduates will be certified as Permaculture Design 
Trainees.  Graduates are entitled to use the term 
"Permaculture" in the pursuit of livelihood, and 
educational uses.

Permaculture Course Site and Facilities
    The Spry Point Ark was constructed on a 96 acre 
penninsula in eastern PEI, by the New Alchemy Institute in 
the 1970's. Its original purpose was a research 
centre for the science and practice of ecological 
technologies. Today it is managed as a "three star" inn and 
restaurant by the local community cooperative. The beautiful 
natural surroundings, panoramic views, hikng trails, cliffs 
and sandy beaches make this an ideal setting for visiting, 
learning and relaxing.
The PDC participants will develop a site plan for the entire 
penninsula and evaluate its potential for creating an 'eco-
village'.
Classes will be held in the barn. Morning and evening meals 
will be served in the restaurant with a noon time meal served 
outdoors.
A group camping site is being established however 
participants can make separate arrangements to stay in the 
inn. You can call the Ark Inn at  1 800 665-2400 or 
(902) 583-2400 to reserve a room during the PDC.

Some precepts basic to both permaculture  and  
bioregionalism:
*	Basis  in  ecology.*Basing  unique  culture  on indigenous    
	materials.                                                                                                                   
*	High  degree  of  local  self-sufficiency.
*	Observation / awareness  of boundaries  of  plant  and  
	animal  communities.
*	Preservation  and restoration  of native  plant 
	communities.
*	Aesthetics.
*	Worker-owned,  enterprises with  non-exploitative 
	relationships.
*	Decentralized,  participatory, democratic  governance.
*	Recognizing relationships between elements  in  the  system 
	and  maximizing     
	symbiotic relationships.

Getting From There to Here
    Travelers can fly into the Charlottetown Airport. 
Guaranteed lowest fares can be arranged by MacQueen's Travel 
agency. Ph.:1(800) 969-2822, fax: (902) 894-4547,
email: [email-masked]
    By car, take the ferry from either Pictou, Nova Scotia or 
Cape Tormentine, New Brunswick. 
    To get to Spry Point, head east to Rt. 310 and Little 
Pond, PEI. Turn at the 
sign for the Ark Inn. (Approximately. one hour. east of 
Charlottetown.)

Summer Program Fees

Permaculture Design Course: (August 4-17) $765.
Course fees for USA Residents: At current rates of exchange 
this is less than U.S.$550.00. 
(Please pay in Canadian currency.)

   Bioregionalism, is an attempt to understand the 
interdependencies of people and the environment so that 
society can become more conscious of its heritage and the 
particular regions that sustains us. The "bioregional" 
perspective means that our focus is on the design and 
evolution of healthy, interdependent and self-reliant 
communities. 
  Today we can not just, "Think  Globally and  Act Locally". 
We also need to, "Think Long Term and Act Now". Therefore, 
IBS was founded to demonstrate the recent, ecologically 
oriented, scientific, social and technological achievements 
that are relevant  to  achieving the goal of an ecological  
society.

For more information on the PDC and the Eco-Cities Design 
Colloquia (August 18-21) or the Affordable Housing, 
Strawbale, Construction Workshop (August 25-27) reply to this 
message. For a hard copy of our brochure send $2 to IBS. 
Thank you.

Phil Ferraro, Director
Institute for Bioregional Studies
449 University Avenue Suite 126            "Developing Local Solutions to 
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island	    Global Problems"
Canada   C1A 8K3
(902) 892-9578