Subject: Vancouver Foodnet

From: [email-masked]
Date: 26 Apr 1996 17:43:46 PDT

VANCOUVER FOODNET          April 26, 1996

This is an effort to reduce the cost of living for ecologically-
friendly residents of the Vancouver area.  This effort is built
on a vision of shared work, resources and benefits.  The benefit
in this case is chemical-free food grown right in our own
neighborhoods.

IT WORKS LIKE THIS:  We find:

   - SITES (LAND) near where we work, live or otherwise spend
     time appropriate for food production, i.e. accessible with
     sun and water available, preferably where at least one
     member of "the net" lives, ideally on land owned by a
     member.  Hydro and railroad rights of way and other vacant
     land is possible, although there are risks from thievery and
     vandalism.  Also needed are...
   - PEOPLE with some free time to do the gardening,
   - TOOLS, including transportation of materials and food,
   - KNOWLEDGE of gardening and urban agriculture and food
     processing and preservation, a small amount of...
   - MONEY to purchase seeds and other necessities, and
   - ORGANIZATION to put it all together.

All participants share in the harvest, which will be bountiful if
we do it right.  There should also be enough to give away to
those with need who somehow fall "into the net".  I am personally
not interested in keeping track of hours worked, money or other
forms of value contributed, and I don't think that anyone should
be paid wages.  The tangible reward will be food and any
incidental spin-offs which this kind of cooperation and synergy
can produce.  It is, perhaps, an exercise in a different way of
working, centred around food production, a need we all share.
Any effort at comparison of value, such as "my effort is worth
more than your contribution of land or money (or vice versa)"
will create conflict.  This is our opportunity to see the larger
picture, which means taking care of each other and ourselves.
This is for those who want to go beyond the formal economy.

It may also be possible to include:

   - Care and harvest of existing fruit and nut trees
   - Food processing, preserving and storage
   - Bulk buying from farmers/producers of organic food
   - Fun social events with live entertainment.

IF THIS INTERESTS YOU, PLEASE ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS AND
GET BACK TO ME WITH THE INFORMATION.  EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT
INTERESTED, PLEASE PASS THIS ALONG TO OTHERS WHO MIGHT BE.

          CABOT LYFORD,  phone: 873-4204
                         email: [email-masked]

QUESTIONS:

Do you know of any good GROWING SITES in Vancouver where you and
your friends can have access and where sun and water are
available?  If so, where?  Who is the contact person?  What is
their phone number?  Are you the best person to make arrangements
for gardening there?

Do you know of any established fruit or nut trees, grape or kiwi
vines or other PERENNIAL FOOD SOURCES which lack care and
harvesting?  The owners could become members and benefit by
having help with the care of their land, in addition to receiving
a variety of foods.  There may also be "wild" or abandoned food
sources close to you.  Keep your eyes peeled.

Do you have any FRIENDS who live near you or near a growing site
who might be interested?  My preference is for a commute-free
foodnet.  I think we also need this to be de-centralized, which
means everyone must be responsible for their own part to play.

Do you have any TOOLS or the use of a VEHICLE which you can
contribute?  It is best to organize without dependency on
automobiles, but things like manure and large produce may be best
handled with powered vehicles.

What kind of TIME can you contribute?

What SKILLS can you contribute?  Are you an organizer?  A
gardener?  A willing worker?

Do you have skills, space or tools for PRESERVING AND STORING?
This could include drying, canning, freezing, root cellaring,
etc..

Can you help with BUYING supplies if needed?  The aim is to spend
as little national currency as possible, using modern alchemy to
change garbage into gold, but there may be need for small
expenditures.  There are advantages in bringing together people
with diverse talents and contributions.

What are your FAVOURITE FOODS (fruits, herbs and vegetables)?

Is there anything I've missed?