Subject: IBS Summer Prograams

From: "Inst. for Bioreg. Studies" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 12:27:18 -0300 (ADT)

Enclosed is an announcement of programs that may be of 
interest to you and your colleagues. If you would like more 
details you can respond by e-mail. Please forward this 
information to others who will benefit from participating. 
For more complete details please check our home page
http://www.cycor.ca/IBS/

Thank you.

Institute For Bioregional Studies

This summer learn practical skills and knowledge 
to design and implement sustainable systems 
that are in harmony with the natural world.

Permaculture Design Course  August 4-17
(at the Spry Point Ark, formerly the New Alchemy Institute)
Permaculture is about self-reliance, growing food, and 
building energy-efficient structures. The PDC teaches the 
principles by which sustainable systems become responsive to 
economic, social and environmental elements. Graduates will be 
certified as 'Permaculture Designers' and will be entitled to 
use the term in the pursuit of livelihood.
Permaculture Instructors: 
Dr. John Todd and Nancy Jack Todd, Monica Kuhn, Phil Ferraro, 
Garry Lean, Dr. Dan Earle and others.

Eco-Cities Design Colloquia: 
Building Sustainable Communities
August 18-21 Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

The Challenge
Cities have become global environmental parasites; processing 
food, fuel, energy and consuming resources well beyond their 
boundaries. In the 21st century, cities must function in very 
different ways or they will undermine their own survival and 
that of their inhabitants.

Action Plan
An outstanding group of internationally known facilitators 
will work with participants to develop a model eco-city along 
the Charlotetown waterfront. The new plans will budget our 
resources, conserve energy, utilize renewable energy 
technologies, build long lasting structures, develop efficient 
public transportation, reduce and recycle wastes and supply 
staple foods locally.

Affordable Housing / Straw-bale Construction Workshop
August 25-27
This hands-on workshop wil explain the mechanics of building 
with straw-bales and designing a home for energy efficiency.

For More Information contact: 
Institute for Bioregional Studies
Internet home page: http://www.cycor.ca/IBS/
e-mail: [email-masked]
Phone: (902) 892-9578
Mail: 449 University Avenue, Suite 126 
        Charlottetown, PE C1A 8K3   (Send $2 for brochure)

Phil Ferraro, Director
Institute for Bioregional Studies
449 University Avenue Suite 126            "Developing Local Solutions to 
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island	    Global Problems"
Canada   C1A 8K3
(902) 892-9578