Subject: Glad and pleased to share...

From: Vicki Garland <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 10:38:36 -0600 (MDT)

To those who might be interested in a success story, here, in a small
nutshell, is one,

Last year at this time I had given up on any growing, which, as you can all
relate to, was most depressing. Futile attempts at rescuing any carefully
grown (in the greenhouse) plants once they made it to the beds prepared with
Bio-dynamic compost, manure, all amendments to help along this New Mexico
soil were just that..futile.  Grasshoppers appeared in mid-May.  Already we
were eating broccoli and greens when the invaders moved in.  I had planted
over 200 plants for a cut flower crop, lots of veggies of all varieties and,
literally, I stood by helplessly watching as within a week, they all
disappeared.

The summer was an odd one after growing for 20+ years..nothing to 'pour'
myself into. I filled some time writing an article about all the things I
tried throughout the whole growing season in hopes of a success and
therefore, a late planting.  Nothing worked..the article was even rejected
by a magazine..

Now I am prepared to write the "next chapter". Back in April, I tentatively
planted a few things, some in Walls'o Water.  By May the hoppers appeared in
full force, though still small.  I applied the Nosema of last year's
attempts, put out the diatomaceous earth, covered plants with screen cages
and pinned down cheesecloth, soaked tobacco and sprayed and set out dishes
(yellow as the hoppers are attracted to yellow and green, of course).  Soon
whole beds of mixed greens vanished..all of it.  The comfrey I put out to
lure the hoppers away from the food plants went first..couldn't see where
they had been!

Another disturbing factor was that the owner of the property where we live
informed us that we were not to use any water as the drought over the winter
was so severe that we couldn't use the well water.  Strictly due to my
tenacity, I still grew a full greenhouse full of plants.  Couldn't imagine
not starting babies in January!

Last night we had a huge salad, ate pesto the night before and had stir-fry
before that...from the garden! Last year I took a permaculture course and
began to implement some ideas I had picked up. 

 After the first wipe-out by the marauding hoppers, we got chickens and
built a chicken tractor.  We faithfully moved it around the growing areas
and finally, turned the chickies loose and just let them scratch it all to
pieces.  So much for my waffle bed design to help with the water..all of it
got destroyed. I just looked the other way and let the birds do their thing.
Meanwhile, there were baby turkeys growing up in a shed until they feathered
out.  Three weeks later, the chickens got penned and we ate yummy orange
yolked eggs.  The turkeys came in and picked up where the chickens left off
but had a more delicate way of doing their work.  Occasionally they will
scratch but the damage is minimal.

The comfrey has regrown into a lovely sprawling bush..tomatos are ripening,
broccoli is so GOOD, and I am a happy camper, thankful and never again to
take for granted the abundance of the Earth.  Hopefully, we are all learning
this.

As for the water (or lack, thereof) we had hooked up our washing machine as
greywater to run to the garden area.  We now have the water running through
PVC pipe to several areas which I open and close as needed. We collect all
water from baths and showers and haul or siphon it to large collection
barrels situated all over the property.  For awhile I had to hand water all
plants until we found an old sump pump and hooked it up to facilitate using
a hose from the barrels.  Of course, when it rains (only two signifigant
rains-with hail-in 8 months) the gutters run water into the barrels as well.
Since we do not own the property we are on, we have not taken the measures
of large cistern building.  This would be ideal.

The ranchers in the area are still needing to feed cattle with hay and many
are getting rid of all of them  This is so good.  The land here is so
overgrazed that I understand it is where hoppers are attracted.  Perhaps
this natural phenomena is attempting to bring things to a proper balance.
Water is still the major issue.  Without it, we have no grey water OR
showers to rely on.  Monsoon here should start soon.. days sunny in the
morning, big grey clouds move in mid-day, rain falls and the Earth is
renewed..we are all praying we have one.

A month ago I said to friends, "If anything grows here this year, it will
truly be a miracle!"  And so it is!  

Vicki and Jesse Garland
[email-masked]