Subject: Design Colloquia: Designing Sustainable Communities; Aug. 18-21, Charlottetown, P.E.I.

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 23:16:08 -0400

-- 
: Venaura Farm - Organic Market Vegetable Gardens - CSA
: Organic Gardening/Urban-Rural Permaculture Information Resources
: http://www.interpath.net/~london [email-masked]
: http://sunsite.unc.edu/london - [email-masked]

ECO-CITIES

Design Colloquia:
Designing Sustainable Communities
August 18-21, 1996
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

The Challenge

Cities are the most complex products of humankind. They have always been
centres of human endeavor and artistic excellence. During the 20th century
they have become global environmental parasites; processing food, fuel,
energy and consuming resources well beyond their boundaries. In the 21st
century, cities must function in very different ways or they will undermine
their own survival and that of their inhabitants.

Action Plans

An outstanding group of facilitators will work with participants to develop
a model eco-city along the Charlotetown waterfront; on lands the city is
currently soliciting proposals for.
The new plans will offer organizational approaches that budget our
resources, conserve energy, utilize renewable energy technologies, build
long lasting structures, develop efficient public transportation, reduce
and recycle wastes and supply staple foods locally.

                   --------------------------------------

Presentation and Workshop Topics:

   * Contemporary Perceptions of Eco-Planning
   * Identifying Issues and Establishing Planning Goals
   * Inventory and Analysis of the Physical Environment
   * Precepts of Eco-Design
   * Neo-Traditional Design/New Urbanism
   * Permaculture Design and Bioregional Planning
   * Urban forestry, and Urban Agricultural Systems
   * Appropriate Technologies (food, energy, shelter)
   * Eco-Planning for Wildlife and for Humans
   * Strategies for Regenerative Design
   * Guiding Principles for Regional Planning
   * Waste as a Resource
   * Economic Policy and Transition
   * Applying Ecosystem Planning Concepts
   * Case Studies

                   --------------------------------------

Who Should Come

Architects, Builders, Landscape Architects, Landscapers, Planners,
Engineers, Teachers, Artists, Farmers, Technicians, Urban Activists,
Permaculture Designers, and Citizens of Urban Neighborhoods whose interest
is to renew cities so that they continue to be places where people come
together to celebrate the creativity of urban life.

                   --------------------------------------

Site and Facilities

Simply known as "the Island" to Canadians, Prince Edward Island is a safe,
enjoyable destination for vacationers of all ages. Charlottetown is the
provincial capital and the "Birthplace of Confederation". It offers
hundreds of attractions and activities to suit all tastes.
Participants will stay in co-housing' apartments on the University of
Prince Edward Island campus.
Breakfast and snack foods will be provided in each apartment. Evening meals
can be prepared in the apartments or participants can dine out. Stores,
restaurants and entertainment venues are within walking distance.
Workshops will be a short walk or bike ride down the newly completed
Confederation Trail, which runs through the centre of the city, to the
waterfront.

                   --------------------------------------

List of Invited Speakers to Date:

Dr. Doug Aberely, editor, Futures by Design: The Practice of Ecological
Planning and Boundaries of Home: Mapping for Local Empowerment.

Dr. David Bell, Former Dean, Faculty of Environmental Studies, and
Director, Centre for Applied Sustainability, York University.

Dr. Janis Birkeland, Co-Director, Centre for Environmental Philosophy,
Planning & Design, Univ. of Canberra, Australia.

Monique Côté, Architect, Permaculture Designer and Filmaker. Part-time
teacher, Université du Québec à Montréal.

Dr. Ray Cote, Director, School of Environmental Planning, Dalhousie
University. Ray, has developed a system for designing industrial parks as
closed ecosystems, recycling and reusing wastes.

David Daughton, Former coordinator of the Atlantic Peoples Housing Coop and
National Chairperson of the Canadian Environmental Network. Certified co-op
housing instructor. Chair of the Health Information Resource Centre.

Dr. Dan Earle, Professor of Landscape Architecture, Lousiana State
University, Permaculture Designer.

Phil Ferraro, Director, IBS, Conference Coordinator and Permaculture
Designer.

Ole Hammarlund, Architect.

Mike Kohler, Architect and Town Planner.

Karen Lipps, Landscape Architect.

Malcolm Lodge, Professional Engineer, Wind Energy Technology
ExpertPresident, Island Technologies Inc, "Wind Energy and Electrical
Engineers"Charlottetown, P,E.I. Founder of the Atlantic Wind Test Site,
Canada'sNational Laboratory for wind energy research and development at
North Cape, P.E.I.

Christine MacKinnon, Policy and Planning Coordinator, Department of
Environmental Resources, Prince Edward Island.

John Massengale, AIA is an architect, town planner and writer. He is
co-author, with Robert A.M. Stern, of "New York 1900, Metropolitan
Architecture & Urbanism, 1890-1914" and "The Anglo-American Suburb", and is
writing "The End of Architecture, The End of Sprawl" with a grant from the
Graham Foundation for Advanced Studies in the Visual Arts. Mr. Massengale
was Town Architect of Seaside, Florida in 1986, and is a member of the
Congress for the New Urbanism.

Ernie Morello, Charlottetown Area Development Corporation.

Dr. William Rees, Dean, Community and Rural Planing, UBC. Bill, coined the
term, "Our Ecological Footprint" for a system used to estimate our
sustainability.

David Slabotsky, President, Atlantic Resource Conversion Co-op Parks
Manager, Wolfville, Nova Scotia.

Dr. John Todd, Co-founder of the New Alchemy Institute and President of
Ocean Arks International. A pioneer in the use of ecosystems as a form of
technology-Living Macines-for the treatment of wastes, purifying water and
food production. Co-authored: "Reinhabiting Cities and Towns: Designing for
Sustainability", "The Village as Social Ecology", "From Eco-Cities to
Living Machines" and numerous other works on sustainable living.

Nancy Jack Todd, Co-founder of the New Alchemy Institute and editor of
'Annals of the Earth'. Co-winner of the Swiss Threshold Award, Friends of
United Nations Environment Programme Award and the Chrysler Award for
Innovation in Design. Currently working on a book about women and ecology.

                   --------------------------------------

Getting From There to Here

Travelers can fly into the Charlottetown Airport. Guaranteed lowest fares
can be arranged by MacQueen's Travel agency.
Ph.:1(800) 969-2822, fax: (902) 894-4547
email: [email-masked]

By car, take the ferry from either Pictou, Nova Scotia or Cape Tormentine,
New Brunswick.

Accomodations

Accomodations for the Eco-Cities conference are at the University of Prince
Edward Island. Participants will stay in Blanchard Hall; located on the
corner of University Avenue and Belvidere Road, Charlottetown.

Pets *Please* No pets.

Families are welcome on site for the additional cost of room and board
only. Contact IBS for prices.

Childcare

Special arrangements can be made for childcare. Please call IBS prior to
registering.

                   --------------------------------------

Summer Program Fees

Permaculture Design Course: (August 4-17) $725.

Course fees for USA Residents: At current rates of exchange this is less
than U.S.$500.00 (Please pay in Canadian currency).

Eco-Cities Colloquia (August 18-21) $500.00.

Affordable Housing / Straw-bale Workshop (August 23-25) $125.00.

PDC plus Eco-Cities Colloquia $985.00.

PDC, Eco-Cities Colloquia plus Housing Workshop $1050.00.

                   --------------------------------------

Some Other Reasons for Coming to Prince Edward Island

PEI is known for its beauty, friendly people and relaxed lifestyle. It is
also a magical blend of sand, clay and sea bursting with festivals, events
& exciting family attractions.There are major events occuring before,
during and after the IBS programs. Come early! Stay late! And play on our
island! For more information call Tourism PEI at: 1-800-4PEI.
For more information on this program or the Permacultutre Design Course and
Affordable Housing/Straw-bale Workshop contact:

                   --------------------------------------

                       For More Information contact:

                     Institute for Bioregional Studies
                     449, University Avenue, Suite 126
                     Charlottetown, PE, CANADA C1A 8K3
                           Phone: (902) 892-9578

              "Developing Local Solutions to Global Problems"

                   --------------------------------------

  Institue for Bioregional Studies| Permaculture Course| Resources/Books|
                               Eco-preneuring

Institute for Bioretional Studies:
Phil Ferraro; [email-masked]
To send a message clic here!