Subject: SAN Publications

From: "Andy Clark, SAN Coordinator" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 16:24:05 -0500 (EST)

SAN PUBLICATIONS
9 November 1995

The Sustainable Agriculture Network (SAN) is a cooperative effort of
university, government, business and non-profit organizations dedicated
to the exchange of scientific and practical information on sustainable
agricultural systems.  It is a network in the broadest sense of the word,
supporting the exchange of information with a variety of users. 
Publishing is a vital tool for networking. 

SAN has organized its publications around the WHO, WHAT, WHERE and HOW of
sustainable agriculture. 
  
WHO:   The "Sustainable Agriculture Directory of Expertise --
Third Edition" lists hundreds of people and groups you can contact for
advice on building soil health, broadening your arsenal of pest-control
tools, diversifying cash flow and much more.  It is produced by ATTRA in
cooperation with SAN. 
 
WHAT:       SAN sponsors the "Showcase of Educational Materials",
a compilation of publications, videos, and other materials, as a way to
identify both exemplary educational materials and knowledge "gaps" to
fill. 

Materials that synthesize information in forms readily usable to farmers
are a particular focus of the Showcase.  Those interested in contributing
materials to the Showcase should contact Andy Clark, SAN Coordinator, c/o
Alternative Farming Systems Information Center, Rm. 304, National
Agricultural Library, 10301 Baltimore Blvd., Beltsville, MD 20705.  (301)
504-6425 .  FAX:  (301) 504-6409. INTERNET:  [email-masked]. 
                
The "SARE Overview" provides a yearly review that highlights
accomplishments of the Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education
(SARE) program. 
    
WHEN AND WHERE:       The"Calendar of Sustainable Agriculture"
meetings and events is updated bi-monthly.  Also attached is a current
schedule of the regional SARE/ACE granting cycles. Contact Andy Clark to
join the mailing list or to submit an event for the calendar. 

HOW:     "Managing Cover Crops Profitably" is the first in a series of SAN
Handbooks.  It was prepared because more and more farmers want reliable,
easy-to-scan information on cover crops.  "Managing Cover Crops
Profitably" is a practical, introductory guide to help remove some of the
guesswork. A SAN factsheet, "Sustainable Agriculture vs. Weeds,"
highlights some of the Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education
(SARE) and Agriculture in Concert with the Environment (ACE) projects
aimed at controlling weeds with fewer herbicides. 

A new handbook on sustainable agriculture tillage tools and techniques is
currently in production.

"The Real Dirt: Farmers Tell about Organic and Low-Input Practices in the 
Northeast."  In a practical, farmer-oriented way, this 264-page book 
offers firsthand knowledge about the many biological, cultural, mechanical 
and even chemical tools available to farmers.  Funded by the Northeast 
SARE region.
 
        "Profitable DAIRY OPTIONS 
   Grazing, Marketing, Nutrient Management"
is a new (1995) free brochure on sustainable dairy production.  It
highlights pasture-user support groups, the benefits of manures and
composts, the pre-sidedress soil nitrate test (PSNT), alternative silage
crops, and other profitable options.  Contact Andy Clark or the University
of Vermont for single copies or small quantities. 

    TO ORDER: Please send your check, or purchase order to: Sustainable
Agriculture Publications, Hills Building, Room 12, University of Vermont,
Burlington, VT 05405-0082

Managing Cover Crops Profitably                                 $9.95 
The Sustainable Agriculture Directory of Expertise              $18.95

The Showcase of Sustainable Agriculture Information and Education
Materials                                                        $4.95

The Real Dirt: Farmers Tell About Organic and Low-Input Practices in 
the Northeast                                                   $13.95

Profitable DAIRY OPTIONS      Free
                                
Tillage Tools and Techniques (To be announced)

ELECTRONIC RESOURCES

SAN Publications are also available as "electronic books."  Whether from a
computer disk or over a computer network their information can be searched
more quickly than it takes to scan a paper index.  The program runs only
onMS-DOS-compatible machines, at this time.  (Windows and Macintosh
available in 1996). Diskettes of SAN publications are the same price as
the print publication (but they are searchable and portable).  SAN also
has additional databases and publications on disk, at a cost of $7.50 per
publication.  Examples are a Computerized AGRONOMY HANDBOOK, SARE/ACE
Project Summaries, and the 1994 Directory of State Alternative Agriculture
Laws.  Order these through the address at left.  For a complete listing of
"electronic books", contact Andy Clark. 

        SUPPORT
SAN is supported by the USDA's Sustainable
Agriculture Research and Education (SARE) program. 
The Coordinating Committee includes:
          Andy Clark, SAN Coordinator  ([email-masked])
          Jill Auburn, University of California
          ([email-masked])
          Kevin Gamble, North Carolina State University
          ([email-masked])
          Beth Holtzman, Northeast SARE Program, 
          University of Vermont ([email-masked])
          Kristen Kelleher, Western SARE Program, 
          University of  CA.  ([email-masked])
          Jim Lukens, ATTRA ([email-masked])
          Ed Rajotte, Pennsylvania State University
          ([email-masked])
          Phil Rasmussen, Utah State University
          ([email-masked])
          Gwen Roland, Southern SARE Program
          [email-masked]
          Tory Shade, University Extension, Wayne County,
          Missouri ([email-masked])

---

From: "Andy Clark, SAN Coordinator" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 16:23:38 -0500 (EST)

Hi, Neal.

I'm basically a lurker on the permaculture list, but I'm in charge of a 
very active list (sanet-mg) for sustainable agriculture.  

The Sustainable Agriculture Network publishes a "Sustainable Agriculture 
Directory of Expertise, with about 1000 organizations and individuals 
with specific expertise in sustainable ag, including organic and tillage 
and weed control.  The current 3rd Edition just came out.  I'll send 
ordering information in the next message (about SAN publications).  It, 
and other SAN publications are also available on diskette in an easily 
searchable format.  I just spent about 2 minutes searching with the key 
words organic, tillage weed.  I'll attach two examples of hits, or people 
who have agreed to be contacted about their expertise.

I'll be glad to help you or anyone on the list subscribe to sanet-mg, or 
to access our publications by gopher or (coming soon), the WWW.  I'm also 
going to send information about contacting the Alternative Farming 
Systems Information Center (AFSIC), which maintains a lot of information.  

Hope this helps.

Andy Clark
SAN Coordinator
c/o AFSIC, Room 304
National Agricultural Library
10301 Baltimore Ave.
Beltsville, MD  20705-2351
PH:  301-504-6425
FAX: 301-504-6409
[email-masked]

FROM SAN's Directory of Expertise

Ref#: 170 Individual    Cat: 00148

Doug Waugh                                        
Waugh-Sum Acres                         
1636 West Co Rd 8            
Berthoud, CO 80513                                

Telephone:(303)532-2590

Preferred method of contact: Contact anytime via mail or
telephone.

Sust. Agric. Roles: Full - Time Farmer / Rancher

Major Areas of Sust. Agric. Expertise: Organic Production,
Livestock Production, Tillage

Primary crop and livestock enterprises: vegetables, small fruits,
feedgrains, cover crops, beef cattle

Description of Sustainable Agriculture work: All we grow is
certified organic so we can raise organic beef along with our
strawberries, raspberries, and a wide variety of vegetables, and
edible beans.  Along w/the corn & alfalfa for our feeders, we
grow a cover crop pasture for the cow/calf herd.  We sell a
supply of natural fertilizers and biological controls for the
local organic growers & homeowners.  We do farm shows on the
'Bezzerides' in-the-row weeder & the Yeoman Keyline Plow.  This
exposes mainline farmers to some of the tools for transition into
more sust. ag methods.  We have assisted the state univ.
integrate into their research program comparisons on methods for
weed control w/o herbicides versus 

Information resources available: We have literature sheets &
field days on the Yoeman Keyline Conservation Tillage Plow and
the Bezzerides in-the-row weeders attached to a floating gang
cultivator.  We coordinate bulk/bag orders of softrock phosphate
and Planters II trace mineral fertilizers. We sell composted
dairy manure, and liquid fish/kelp, and Nitron enzyme soil
conditioner. 

The SAN Directory of Expertise

________________________________________________________________

Ref#: 560 Individual    Cat: 00437

Les & Debbie Guile                                
Walnut Grove Farm                       
189 Rt. 519                  
Newton, NJ 07860                                  

Telephone:(201)383-5029

Contact People: Jennifer Morgan

Preferred method of contact: I prefer to be contacted by phone
from 8 a.m. to noon or after 6 p.m.  at (201)383-5029.

Sust. Agric. Roles: Part - Time Farmer / Rancher

Major Areas of Sust. Agric. Expertise: Organic Production,
Horticultural Crop Production, Vegetable, Marketing

Primary crop and livestock enterprises: vegetables, Christmas
trees, cut flowers, onions and related, herbs

Description of Sustainable Agriculture work: I am currently
opening up new acreage to experimental cover cropping, nutrient
replacement and incursive weed control trials.  I have been
growing a market-garden organically on 2 acres of successive
plantings of various vegetable families for 8-10 years.  The soil
health, tilth and friability have been improved using macrobiotic
principles in feeding the soil and its organisms.  I am
self-certified. 

Land Description: My farm is located in rural Sussex County, New
Jersey, on 10 acres. One-third of it is woodland; two-thirds is a
flat field of clay-loam soil.  All of it is under cultivation,
except my home and barn.  I grow 3,000 to 4,000 pine spruce for
Christmas tree sales.  I have a black walnut grove with a
one-fourth acre pond.  My fields are planted in vegetable crops
and flowers for cutting.  Tillage equipment includes rototillers,
a 9N Ford tractor, a two-row cultivator, a planter and a plow. 

The SAN Directory of Expertise

On 26 Mar 1996, Vasilakes, Neil (MN10) wrote:

> 
> Hello all,
> 
> I am a new subscriber who is an avid gardener.   Is the volume of this list 
> really this low?  I've only received two messages in two weeks - maybe 
> something is wrong with my e-mail?   My wife and I are soon to turn into 
> organic fruit/ veg. farmers.   Although there are thousands of references on 
> organic gardening/farming, I can find nothing on no-till-organic farming 
> other than Masanubu Fukuyoka (apologies for spelling by memory) which 
> doesn't relate too well to my location in Minnesota, USA.   I'd like to find 
> resources (human, electronic, or books) that have details of weed management 
> techniques, planting and germination, intercropping or companion planting 
> for pest reduction etc. using no-till and organic techniques.   If anyone 
> knows of resources I'd be grateful.  Also of interest to me are testimonials 
> from gardeners, farmers, researchers, as to the difficulties and success 
> stories using no-till + organic techniques.
> 
> What happened to spring???  It's -11°F here with a foot of snow.  Any good 
> farms down south?:-)
> 
> Neil Vasilakes
> [email-masked]
>

---

From: "Andy Clark, SAN Coordinator" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 16:25:56 -0500 (EST)

AFSIC has several publications on organic production, tillage, and 
sustainable agriculture.  See the list of products on the Web or the 
gopher, or e-mail (preferably) to be sent a hard copy.  

          Alternative Farming Systems Information Center

This and other similar publications (See the List of Information Products 
at any of these sites) are available free of charge from:

WWW:    http://www.inform.umd.edu/EdRes/Topic/AgrEnv/AltFarm

  or    http://www.nal.usda.gov
  
          select Answers to Your Questions
          select Alternative Farming Systems Information Center

Gopher  gopher.nal.usda.gov
          select NAL Information Centers
          select Alternative Farming Systems Information Center

Orders for publications can be made by e-mail:   [email-masked]
                                       Phone :   (301) 504-6559
                                       FAX   :   (301) 504-6409

Snail-mail:

Alternative Farming Systems Information Center
National Agricultural Library
10301 Baltimore Boulevard
Beltsville, MD  20705-2351

There's a wealth of information available at these sites!

Andy Clark
SAN Coordinator
[email-masked]

---

From: Spring Toms <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 20:33:24 -0800 (PST)

Masuoka Fukkuaka is one of my heros too. I haven't gotten too far with no
till. This is how far I've gotten tho

Here in N. CAL. I use comfrey between my peach trees down the row.
Probably not suitable for you. The idea tho is BROAD LEAFY GREENS. I got a
few rubarb that are doing pretty good too. I have planted swiss chard and
radish and they are ok to some extent. Not as good as the comfrey. I am
trying to keep the grass out of the orchard so sow things like beans,
peas, buckwheat, radish. I roto til and use the eye hoe alot. The trees
are only two years old (third summer).

I got my ideas on comfrey, iris, tulips, dividing onions, etc from the
permaculture book.

I welcome any further suggestions. One trap people need to avoid is that
when M. F. writes "do nothing farming" he doesn't mean you don't have to
work.