[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

DISCUSSION: permaculture (NOT from an academic point of view)

I recently asked Larry London about what Permaculture is.  Based on the
statement in his reply that follows, this is exactly the kind of thing I am
interested in learning more about.  However, I do not intend to try to
justify my interest in understanding and supporting the permaculture
concept to the academic world.  For me the definition sounds holistic and
seems to try to be in tune with the natural order, rather than trying to
subdue (and in some cases destroy) nature as our present chemical based
agricuture does.

Here are some simple rules of thumb I am trying to apply in judging if I
approve and support a certain way of growing food...

Are the people affecting the food I eat interested in providing the most
wholesome food they can for me and my family (which I consider one aspect
of excellence in this area), or are their actions motivated by taking more
profit?

Secondly, I ask... Does the method of raising the food work in conjunction
with nature or against it?

I know there are many questions that such a philosophy implies, but these
principles have become important to me, and in my opinion much of our
current food system falls far short.

Therefore, I volunteer in my spare time and subscribe to a local organic
farm, shop for organic food at the local food coop, and try to learn more
about growing organicially.  I hope to use this forum to share my views and
find out what others have to say about this topic...  Here is part of
Larry's mail to me...

andy@ecn.purdue.edu
========