[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: creosote/sustainable lumber

My community (N Street Cohousing in Davis CA) recently built a new entry
gate and used telephone poles for  the gate posts.  We needed something
that could be buried 2' deep in sometimes waterlogged soil and not rot.
We did not find them difficult to cut at all - I used a hand saw, and I
am 5'2" and 120 lbs.  However, the reason we used a hand saw is because
we thought the dust kicked up by a power saw (cfreosote-treated sawdust)
might be hazardous to our lungs.  As far as burning easily, it rather
depends on whether you're in a climate where that is a priomary concern.

Rachel R. Freifelder
Young Idealist
"To create community we need to love each other, trust each other and help
each other; that is hard."
--Wendell Berry