[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

DEER CONTROL HELP NEEDED

We fence in 3 acres of organic vegetables with a seven strand six ft tall
high-tensile fence.  This keeps out woodchucks as well as deer.  However,
deer *can* get over a 6 ft fence if they want to, and sometimes in the fall
they do.  (We've heard of them clearing 10 ft, no problem.)

 A few ways to get around this:

-Errect a mulit-strand fence, as per Larry's specs.  Then, errect ANOTHER
strand 3 feet in front of the main fence, 3 feet high.  While deer can jump
high, jumping distances seems to scare them.
-Put up a fence that is slanted.  This requires lots of maintence and is
expensive to install, but those we know who've done it have no complaints.

One important bit of advice:  fence in more area than you need right now.
We fenced in one acre a few years ago, but this year we expanded a whole
lot and needed to take down our 'permanent' fence.  The new replacement
fence is not yet all the way up, and deer are getting in, as are
woodchucks.  The moral of the story:  if you're errecting a 10 year fence,
fence in all the land you possibly see yourself using in the next 10 years.
It's really expensive and a big pain in the butt to re-do a high-tensile
fence!

Good luck.

PS--I think perhaps the wildlife pressure has been so bad this year because
of the severe drought we're experiencing in the NE.  Next year might be
easier if it rains and there's more wild food available.

Jennifer Bokaer-Smith
Division of Nutritional Sciences
231N MVR Hall
Cornell Univesity