Re: Composting Kitty Krud

In article <MOD$971007.8725@rec.gardens.ecosystems>,
gondwana@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> I am new to cat ownership (just got myself a Personx kitten).
>
> We have become rather wealthy in kitty litter (johnny Cat brand). And
> I've been wondering...does this stuff compost? I realize it is probably
> very high in urea, but the litter material looks like it would be ideal
> for aerating and supplying friability to soil....except that I am
> wondering about chemicals. But for the urea, I'd be tempted to work it
> directly into the soil...
>

> Am I the only one with this dilemma?
>
> Dave D.

I have lots of kitty litter and would love to compost. You should not
compost it for vegetable gardens. I have heard that you should not compost
any carnivore fecal matter period. With cats I know that there are toxins
present in their solid waste. Infants in particular can be killed, adults
can get sick. I wouldn't imagine it would be a problem except for the
smell on flower beds.

my 2 cents.
caleb rounds
austin, TX zone 8b