Re: TH: Advice Please

 Post-To: Tree-House@Majordomo.Flora.Com (Community Forestry) ----------
 -------
Dear TH and Judy,

plant them out as one year olds, you will probably loss the lot, unless
you are doing it in a re-forestation setting.  If you are planting them
anywhere where this is human traffic, it will be a long time before
they  will be big enough to survive vandalism, which can happen any
time.

I would definately recommend the tree bank idea.  In Baltimore we have
created neighborhood nurseries on vacant lots (Richard is very familiar
with one) and they seem to work quite well, raising the NTT trees for
three or so years and then planting them out.  Parks & People
Foundation  has a specific write up on creating a neighborhood nursery
(spacing and all) and you could call Gary at 410-396-0712.

Philly Green has also created such nurseries and Tree Labs at schools
where the classes help raise the trees.

We have also found that you can plant out smallish trees (4'-6', three
to four year olds) on the street in barrels in front of folks home and
these seem to survive better because there is a strong sense of
individual ownership.

So such is my advice for today.  I would be happy to provide more
specifics if you wish.

Paul jahnige
 pjahnige@erols.com

Grow19@aol.com wrote:

>  Post-To: Tree-House@Majordomo.Flora.Com (Community Forestry) ----------
>  -------
> I direct a community gardening program in DC and am providing some advice to
> a community development organization that is getting trees from the Natl Tree
> Trust, and now I need advice.  NTT will provide the trees in Spring 1998.
>  They are 1 year old seedlings of four varieties -- willow oak, redbud, red
> maple, and white pine -- 100 of each.
>
> We will need to prepare a plan for their location and have developed two
> possible  scenarios.  Now we need some guidance due to the very young age of
> the seedlings:
>
> 1.  We pick permanent locations for the trees -- in parks, in public housing,
> at community organizations, etc. and put the trees there when we get them.
>  If so, what kind of protection would be best for them and for how long, so
> that they survive well.
>
> 2.  We decide they are too small to be put in their permanent location, so we
> pick a place to create a tree bank and plant them there for some time first.
>  Is this a better idea?  How long should they be protected in a tree bank
> before transplanting?  How long will be too long, after which the trees would
> be too hard to move safely, using ordinary volunteer person-power, not
> commercial tree moving equipment.
>
> I welcome any and all advice.  Thanks, Judy Tiger, GROW19@aol.com

Follow-Ups: References: