Re: TH: Perrenials & Annuals around Trees ...

 Post-To: Tree-House@Majordomo.Flora.Com (Community Forestry) ----------
 -------
RT Ellsberry wrote:

>  Post-To: Tree-House@Majordomo.Flora.Com (Community Forestry) ----------
>  -------
>  Hi Tree-House Folks - -------------------------------------------------
>
>  We've touched on this topic before.  There are a number of questions
>  that one would have when planting groundcovers, flowers etc. around
>  the bases of trees.  Our 'natural' orientation is to favor the
>  perrenials over the annuals, just as we would prefer native trees
>  over imports or hybrids, but is this best in all cases ? Should we
>  shy away from climbing ivies, for instance, and then there are many
>  grasses available.  Here in Baltimore, store-bought Petunias can
>  put on a great show throughout the summer.  But at the first frost
>  they die away, and maybe this is better for the trees -- in a pot,
>  on the street or on the front lawn.  Obviously I am hitting on a
>  number of issues here, and any experienced thoughts you might have
>  in this area would be helpful for all of us.  So in an effort to
>  to formulate these intracacies into one simple question:
>
>  We want to plant small 'ornamentals' around our trees, so what are
>  the best for those trees ? What are the benefits and hazards of
>  grasses, bulbs like Tulip and Daffodil (Narcissus is the same thing
>  -- even if you've heard otherwise :), groundcovers et al ? What
>  have you learned from your own past experimentations ?
>
>  Thanx in Advanx (C),
>  Richard@Flora.Com
>  --------------------------+--------------------+-----------------------
>  Richard Tryzno Ellsberry  |   Flora's Garden   |  Baltimore USDA Zone 7
>  --------------------------+-(http://Flora.Com)-+-----------------------
>
>  -- Hello to Salt Lick City ...

Hi Folks

I urge great caution when planting things next to trees for a number of
reasons.

1. Dense plantings make water penetration and untake more difficult for
newly planted trees.

2. The act of planting results in root and potentially trunk damage to
the tree. This damage may progress in severity over time resulting in
root or trunk failure.

3. I have never seen flowers and trees both do well when planted in the
same space.

Paul Dykema
City Forester
Lansing Mi.