TH: protective covenants?

 Post-To: Tree-House@Majordomo.Flora.Com (Community Forestry) ----------
 -------
I've been reading this list for several months with great interest but
haven't gotten around to posting before.  RT Ellsberry's recent posting
encourages me to speak up.

My husband and I live in a downtown neighborhood in Santa Rosa CA and have a
large valley oak in our yard, in fact directly in front of and branching
above our small house.  Without getting too mushy about it, I love this tree
as an almost sensate being, a guardian spirit if you will for our home and
all the living things in it. Someday we'll probably sell the house and move
away.  How can we be sure this tree is protected?  The lot is small but zoned
for two or more residences, and the land is probably worth more than the
house itself.  I'm afraid that someone may clear the lot to build duplexes.

I believe that valley oaks have some protected status, but assume that will
not apply to private land.  In any case, we'll want to make sure that this
particular tree is safe.  Thanks for any ideas.

-Connie Cloak