[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: New associations/ yacon

On Wed, 7 Aug 1996, Permaculture Extension Services wrote:

> Finally, does anyone have any information on a plant, an edible tuber
> and member of the sunflower family which goes by the common names of
> yacon or Peruvian ground apple?
>
> It's of South American origin.
>
> I was given some to grow. Well, its grown and has now died back and,
> presumably, is ready to harvest. I wonder if there is any information
> about its traditional uses, any recipies ‹ traditional or otherwise ‹
> and any precautions to be taken with the plant.
>
> There's another plant I've grown as an experiment ‹ the so-called
> Peruvian artichoke (whixch is not an artichoke). That's doing quite
> well in warm temperate Sydney in nutrient-poor, sandy soil, heavily
> mulched and growing in close association with taro.
>
> Any information gratefully received.
>
> Regards...
>
> ...Russ Grayson
>

> --
> PERMACULTURE EXTENSION SERVICES
> Russ Grayson and Fiona Campbell
> PO Box 446, Kogarah NSW 2217 AUSTRALIA
>
> Phone	02-9588 6931	(IDD-61+2+9588 6931)
> Fax 	02 330 2611 (Mark fax: ATTN: RUSS GRAYSON - APACE)
> 	(IDD-61+2+330 2611)
> Email: permaext@magna.com.au
>
> Permaculture education, publishing, design.
> NSW co-ordinator, Australian City Farms, Community Gardens and
> Enterprise Centres Network.
>
> Hi Russ,
	While doing some research recently I came across a book that
should be of some use to you:

Lost crops of the Incas - Little known plants of the Andes with promise
for worldwide cultivation.  National Research Council.  1989.  National
Academy Press, Washington DC.

	It contains well presented detailed information on numerous root
crops, grains, legumes, vegetables and fruits.  It does cover Yucon.
The information is detailed and clearly presented, and it has references
for further information.  I reckon it's well worth getting hold of.

	Best Wishes,

		Sarah Gowland. (University of Bangor, North Wales, UK).