urine as a source of nitrogen

I understand that urine is an excellent source of urine and that human
urine can be used around garden plantings when mixed in a 1:10 ratio with

Sounds great -- inexpensive and readily available, however I'm concerned
about potential pathogens from the urine. I've heard that human pee is
sterile, but I've also read in the _Humanure Handbook_ that urine can
contain pathodgens.

My question is: is it safe to use pee from a healthy human on the soil
around one's nitrogen loving vegetables (i.e. brassicas, lettuce, etc.)

Linda Felch
Baltimore, MD