South Central Community Garden Conference This Summer in Houston, TX

June 9, 1997
Melanie Gross
MULEYA2@aol.com
South Central Community Garden Conference This Summer in Houston, TX

Dear Community Gardeners and Supporters:

Urban Harvest, a  nonprofit community garden and orchard program in
Houston, Texas, is proud to present the
First Annual South Central Community Garden Conference, August 22 - 23,
at the Houston Arboretum and Nature
Center.  We are very excited about the event and we hope you can make the
trip.  The conference will provide
an informal, yet informative session for community gardeners, supporting
agencies, and individuals.
Participants will have the opportunity to network, share ideas and learn
what fellow community gardeners are
doing throughout the south central states.

Mohammed Nuru, Executive Director of the San Francisco League of Urban
Gardeners (SLUG), will be our keynote
speaker.  Panel discussions are planned for both days and topics will
range from organizing a school garden to
funding community gardens to developing market garden strategies.
Community gardeners, horticulturists,
teachers, and community development agencies will be our panelists.

The conference will end with a bus tour of several types of gardens
affiliated with Urban Harvest.  If you are
interested in taking the tour, please indicate so on the registration
form.  There will be space at the
arboretum for those who would like to set up a display of their program.
If your organization is interested,
please contact us by August 8th to reserve table space.

Enclosed is a copy of the tentative agenda and registration form.  If you
have any questions, suggestions, or
would like to serve on a panel, please call me at 713-880-5540.  You will
receive a confirmation packet
containing the final agenda and other conference materials by the first
week in July.  We look forward to
seeing you there!

Best regards:

Melanie Gross