Re: Guilds

In a message dated 10/2/97 12:54:35 AM, jenny@dsrt.com wrote:

>Does anyone know of a book or a list of guilds? Especially guilds for
>dry climates. I would also be interested in having the descriptions of
>why and how etc.
>The more creative and unusual the guilds the better. I am looking
>forward to your input.
>
>Thank you,
>
>Jenny
>
>jenny@dsrt.com

Hi Jenny:

In my opinion, the idea of guilds is one of the areas in which Mollison leads
folks astray.  Recipes are inappropriate to permaculture.  There are some
plants that do well together, but it is best to know your plants and know
your site and the make site-specific recommendation s.  Anything less isn't
permaculture, in my opinion.  There is room for standard designs, but the
best standard designs with respect to plant selection are species matrices
such as published in the old and still unequalled publication by TILTH, The
Future is Abundant.

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since
1982), Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses,
consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), and now correspondence
courses via email.  Next starts in Oct. 1997. Internships available.
Copyright, 1997, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway, P.O. Box 52, Sparr FL 32192 USA
 YankeePerm@aol.com

If its not in our food chain, we're not thinking.