Re: Internet PC course/symposium

>Hurray! for Geoff King's idea for an open-attendance, Internet PC course.
>Or, a symposium with activists in various pc/sustainable fields publishing
>papers on technical, detail-oriented aspects of their work, complete with
>examples from their experience. We're all familiar with the broad
>principles, what we need now is the exchange of working details. I'm in.
>Great idea, Geoff.
>
>My only disagreement with Geoff's post (on a technicality) was the 'Sirs'
>salutation, since so many of the persons most active in this movement are
>women. I believe, in fact, in terms of numbers, that there are more women
>involved than men, if it matters. I know, in my current professional work
>of running a seed exchange, that women significantly outnumber men in terms
>of membership, offering of seeds, and requesting seeds. Hurray for women!
>
>"Between men and women there is very little difference... but, VIVE LA
>DIFFERENCE!!" (pardon my French)

Hi Jack et al

Just have to add my grumble here. PC isn't a boys' club though it really
does seem so sometimes in 'virtual' realms, in print and also at pc
gatherings. I suppose farming, architecture and alternative technology are
still very male dominated clubs. The Pc Association (UK) only started
having decent creches at convergences when the women became the
organisers...

There are a lot of women out there - often gardening, not high profile
philosophising or pursuing academic careers (inrresistable dig!) - and
there are a lot of pc blokes looking after kids too. So, as Jack's new
paradigm manifests, let us make real attempts not to be sexists, either
side of the brassiere.

Love,

Maddy

Maddy Harland, Editor, Permaculture Magazine
Permanent Publications, Hyden House Ltd.
The Sustainability Centre, East Meon,
Hampshire GU32 1HR, England
maddy@permaculture.co.uk
Tel:+44(0)1730 823311. Fax:+44(0)1730 823322

The Permaculture Information Site & The Earth Repair Catalogue

http://www.permaculture.co.uk

"Permaculture - the Magazine that is planting seeds..."