Re: mineral amendments

> Does anyone have a good reference that shows all the mineral amendments
> (gypsum, lignite, rock phosphate, kelp, etc.) and what quantities should be
> spread over what surface area?

To provide an answer as to the type and quantity of mineral amendments
a farmer or gardener should spread on the land depends on:

1.  Which school of fertility management do you follow; where do you
      live in terms of climate and soil type; whose ideas best fits you
      situation; how basic or how sophisticated do you want to get;
     what are the goals of fertility management:  (1) yield; (2) soil
      building; (3) pest management; (4) high mineral, vitamin, and
     soluble solids content; (5) high vitality.
2.  A soil test; which type of soil test and the degree of its
     importance depending on concepts and goals in Number 1

In permaculture, there is a big emphasis on nutrient cycling from
bio-integrated systems.  Use the waste products of one biological
system (animals, aquaculture, worms) to fuel the fertility inputs for a
related biological system (plants, microorganisms).  Common sense
approach and an emphasis on natural systems takes precedence over
soil testing and school of fertility management, it seems.  The fact that
permaculture as implemented in most place is more akin to home food
production rather than small- to medium-scale commercial food production
favors this approach.  The more commerical one gets, the more important
soil testing becomes.

A basic organic fertility management program:

*Humus management; build the soil structure and feed the
microorganisms with a combination of crop rotations, green
manures, cover crops, animal manures, and preferrably composted
animal manures.  The benefits of compost and cover crops are so
numerous that one can say they are fundamental building blocks
to any working organic farm.

*Rock minerals;  some rock phosphate or potash rock may be
needed when soil tests indicate P and K are low.

*Rock dusts; rock dusts from mined sources provide a mixture
of trace elements which are important as catalysts in enzyme
reactions, the fine grind encourages microbial activity.  Added to
compost piles, the organic acids solubilize the minerals and tie the
elements into complex humic structures, thus making the nutrients
available via plant root excretions when they are needed.

*Humates can be very helpful when humus management is
in the early phase of implementation (such as on a transition farm)
or when compost is lacking in availability.

Other components, depending on the situation:

*Foliar feeding; a simple fish-seaweed blend all the way up to
the sophisticated Brix Mix sold by Peaceful Valley Farms to
increase the soluble solids in produce.

*Microbial inoculation; mycorrhizae are commercially available
to encourage beneficial fungal association with many horticultural
crops.  Other microbials can tweak the quality of humus-crumb
formation in composts, increase bacterial activity in soils, enhance
pest management in crops, etc.

For rock phosphate, I think that 300-500 lbs/acre is a general usage
rate, up to 1,000 lbs per acre.  But if you are following the advice of
a crop advisor, the recommended rate would be rather precise.

ATTRA, the sustainable farming information center located at the
University of Arkansas, put together two new resource lists to
assists farmers who need information on organic/sustainable
fertility management.

Sources of Organic Fertilizers and Amendments - December 1997
http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/orgfert.html

Alternative Soil Testing Laboratories - March 1998
http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/soil-lab.html

ATTRA On-Line Publications List
http://www.attra.org/pub.html

Making the Transition to Sustainable Farming
Organic Blueberry Production
Organic Culture of Bramble Fruit
Organic Cranberry Production
Sustainable Pecan Production
Overview of Organic Fruit Production
Season Extension Techniques for Market Gardeners
Sustainable Small-Scale Nursery Production
Marketing Channels: Pick-Your-Own & Agri-Entertainment
Herb Production & Marketing
St. Johnswort as an Alternative Crop
Mushroom Cultivation & Marketing
Community Supported Agriculture
Integrated Pest Management (IPM)
Farmscaping to Enhance Biological Control
Worms for Composting (Vermicomposting)
Organic Certification
Beef Farm Sustainability Checksheet
Alternative Beef Marketing
Sustainable Beef Production
Dairy Products On-Farm
Marketing Organic Livestock Products
Alternative Soil Testing Laboratories
Alternative Nematode Control
Alternative Seed Suppliers
Sources for Organic Fertilizers and Amendments

Steve Diver
Appropriate Technology Transfer for Rural Areas
Fayetteville, Arkansas

--
steved@ncatark.uark.edu