Fw: The Academic Siberia of Corporate Criminology (fwd)

Friends, I hope you will take the time to read this as I believe
Permaculture is a contradiction to what is happening here. People who
would live in the sort of community envisioned by permaculture villages
with food which is enriched with nutrients and devoid of chemicals. No crime,
Co-operating with one another with their own monetary system are a definite
threat to the corporate planners.

for your info...jj
> [...]
> >
> >  There are exceptions -- the Exxon Valdez oil spill, for example. But
it
> is
> >  much more complex, frustrating and expensive to have reporters
> investigate
> >  and report on these kinds of activities than on street crime, he
points
> >  out.
> >
> >  "Silence of the Lambs, the movie about a serial killer, was a much
more
> >  successful film than Wall Street, one of the few films that looked at
> >  white collar crime," Friedrichs says. "Serial killers cause dreadful
> harm
> >  to a limited number of people. But they do not represent a major
threat
> >  the society as a whole. They do not cause, over time, the kind of harm
> >  that corporations cause. "
> >
> >  One major reason why corporate crime gets little attention from
> reporters,
> >  academics and government officials has little to do with complexity,
and
> >  more to do with the simple reality of corporate power. Big
corporations
> >  have marinated our formerly independent institutions in corporate cash
> and
> >  influence.
> >
> >  Why should reporters tackle tough issues of corporate power and crime
> when
> >  such a foray might lead to loss of job, income and family support? Why
> >  should an academics study corporate crime when government funding
> sources
> >  send signals that such study is unwelcome? And why should a Justice
> >  Department researcher propose to keep track of corporate crime
> statistics,
> >  knowing that business politicians lurk in the hallways, waiting to
make
> >  life miserable?
> >
> >  Snider makes the obvious point that "certain ideas are much more
> >  appealing" to the powerful ruling interests.
> >
> >  "The idea of corporate crime is one that is simply unappealing to
> business
> >  elites," she says. "Ever since it was first invented by Edwin
> Sutherland,
> >  the concept of white collar crime, and specifically corporate crime,
has
> >  been actively resisted. Corporations have certainly argued, if they
have
> >  had to face up to the idea at all, that corporate executives are not
> >  criminals. We have reserved the concept of 'criminal' for people we
> think
> >  are different from ourselves."
> >
> >  The result: our prisons are filled with the poor, the minorities  and
> the
> >  underrepresented.
> >
> >  In law, as in modern corporate life, you get what you pay for.
> >
> >  Russell Mokhiber is editor of the Washington, D.C.-based Corporate
Crime
> >  Reporter. Robert Weissman is editor of the Washington, D.C.-based
> >  Multinational Monitor.
> >
> >  (c) Russell Mokhiber and Robert Weissman
> >
> >  Focus on the Corporation is a weekly column written by Russell
Mokhiber
> >  and Robert Weissman. Please feel free to forward the column to friends
> or
> >  repost the column on other lists. If you would like to post the column
> on
> >  a web site or publish it in print format, we ask that you first
contact
> us
> >  (russell@essential.org or rob@essential.org).
> >
> >  Focus on the Corporation is distributed to individuals on the
listserve
> >  corp-focus@essential.org. To subscribe to corp-focus, send an e-mail
> >  message to listproc@essential.org with the following all in one line:
> >
> >  subscribe corp-focus <your name> (no period).
> >
> >  Focus on the Corporation columns are posted on the Multinational
Monitor