Re: Permaculture market garden

In a message dated 1/25/97 11:49:26 PM, rhys@macquarie.matra.com.au (Rhys
Howitt) wrote:

>Dan, thanks for the many interesting ideas.
>
>Actually, I was talking to a biodynamic market gardener yesterday.  He said
>that the ckickens are great to fertilise the soil, but do massive damage to
>the soil structure.  They tend to compact the soil, they dig up the roots,
etc.

>He demonstrated the difference between his improved/improving soil and some
>other soil that had not been aerated and treated with the various biodynamic
>compounds (some of which do sound a bit far-fetched to me).
>
>Anyway, the proof was there in the obviously different soil, the low number
>of pests,  and the quality of the produce.
>
>Therefore:
>
>a) has anybody had any experience with permaculture-method market gardening,
and

>b) any comments on the above.
>
>Thanks

I am not an idiot.  Obiously if I say it works I've got the experience to
back it up.

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since 1982),
 Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses,
consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), and now correspondence
permaculture training by email. Copyright, 1996, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway, P.O.
Box 2052, Ocala FL 34478 USA  YankeePerm@aol.com

We don't have time to rush.