http://www.cfe.cornell.edu/ecovillage/westhavn.html

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
mailto:london@sunSITE.unc.edu
http://sunSITE.unc.edu/InterGarden
Title: West Haven Farm at EVI

West Haven Farm

Ithaca, New York, USA

Community Supported Agriculture is a new relationship between farmers and consumers. It brings people into closer contact with their food source and provides more community support for farmers. CSA creates an opportunity for people to make a commitment to local sustainable agriculture. With CSA, shareholders pay for a portion of the farm's expenses and in return receive a share of the harvest.

By becoming a shareholder in the farm, you will be sharing with us the risk of producing food. In exchange, you will receive a wide variety of fresh nutritious produce grown by someone you know. You will have the joy of knowing where, when, and how your food is being produced, and you will become connected with and participate in local agricultural cycles.

We feel good about growing organic food for you and your family. Conventional agriculture has many hidden costs, such as pesticide residues in food, poisoning of farmers and farm workers, soil erosion, and nitrates and phosphates in ground water and streams. As an organic farm we strive to create a flourishing garden which mimics the diversity and resiliency of natural systems. We rely on cover crops and compost for healthy soils, which in turn grow healthy nutritious plants. We count on cultural, biological, and botanical controls to moderate insect and disease problems. Our farm is certified organic by the Northeast Organic Farming Association of New York.

Each week from early June through mid-November freshly picked vegetables, herbs, and flowers will be divided among shareholders. An average of 10 to 15 produce items will be available for pickup weekly. A full share provides enough produce for 2-4 people, 10-30 lbs/week. A small share is enough for 1-2 people, 5-15 lbs/week. In addition, we may be able to offer large quantities of winter storage vegetables at a bulk rate as well as canning tomatoes, pickling cukes, and extra veggies for freezing for those interested in preserving the harvest beyond the harvest season.

We welcome and encourage you to come work with us in the garden, or just bring a picnic and enjoy the view! There will be work days and special events for shareholders and growers to get together - kids welcome! We offer a large discount to a few reliable, hard working shareholders in exchange for substantial help in the garden. We'll make arrangements individually - please contact us if you are interested.

This will be our 6th year providing a bountiful array of fresh produce for our CSA. Our farm is located at EcoVillage on Ithaca's West Hill. Jennifer and John have studied sustainable agriculture at UC Berkeley. John, who was GreenStar's produce manager for 3 years, made the leap to full-time farming in 1995, and Jen is a graduate student at Cornell in Community Nutrition.

For more information, contact:

Jen & John Bokaer-Smith
116 Rachel Carson Way
Ithaca, NY 14850