RE: TH: Hollies

 Post-To: Tree-House@Majordomo.Flora.Com (Community Forestry) ----------
Hollies (Ilex sp.) are all dioecious (male flowers and female flowers
separate) and unisexual (plant is either male or female).  One must have a
male plant in proximity to a female plant (1/4 mile or less I would
estimate) in order to get fruit.  Look at the flowers closely to determine
sex of your plant.  No stamens means it is likely a female, stamens and
anthers means a male and you will never get fruit on the male plants.

Good luck!

On Mon, 21 Apr 1997 20:33:56 -0400 (EDT),
Tree-House@majordomo.flora.com wrote...
> Post-To: Tree-House@Majordomo.Flora.Com (Community Forestry) ----------
> -------
>Please help me understand the holly pollination. Which sex gets the
>or do they both get them? I have a nice holly aside my house but even
>it is loaded with blossoms every year I never get any berries. I'm not
>where the nearest holly in the neighborhood would be if any. What do I
>to do to get berries? Or if it is the wrong sex will it never get berries?
>Thanks for any enlightenment.

J L. Johnson

"Your Future is just your Past waiting to happen."
      "Now Here"  or "No Where"?  Your Choice.

by: J. Cruickshank
    Loveland, Colorado