John Barclay's Homepage

http://www.prairienet.org/~jbarclay/

 Lawrence F. London, Jr. - Dragonfly Market Gardens
 mailto:london@sunSITE.unc.edu - mailto:llondon@bellsouth.net
 http://sunSITE.unc.edu/InterGarden
 http://sunSITE.unc.edu/InterGarden/permaculture.html
Title: John Barclay's Homepage

John Barclay

209 North Central #4, Urbana, IL 61801

217-384-5465

jbarclay@prairienet.org

My Life Story:

I attended Zion Benton Township High School in Zion, Illinois and then the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign where I received a B.S. in Civil Engineering. Along the way I've worked as an engineering researcher, mason's labor, bookkeeper, food co-op coordinator, barn renovator, maintenance coordinator, school bus driver, masonry subcontractor, and tuck pointer. I've recently returned to the University of Illinois to get a masters degree in secondary math education. I'm enrolled in the Curriculum and Instruction department of the College of Education.

My Paid Work:

I work as the Webmaster for the College of Education and at the Center for Women in Transition as the Maintenance Coordinator.

Other Local Organizations That I Work With:

  • Prairieland Community Supported Agriculture was started in 1994 and is an attempt to transform the way farmers and consumers work together. By contracting directly with the farmer, consumers get fresh, local produce and the farmers get a guaranteed market and cash payments in the spring when cash flow is needed. This contrasts with agribusiness' trend toward vertical integration of the food system which pushes farmers wages down and leads to environmentally unsound farming practices.

  • The Kalyx Center for Creative Experience.

  • Prairienet is a local freenet, the Internet equivalent to public television or community radio. Prairienet is primarily volunteer run and is committed to making internet services accessible to the Champaign-Urbana community. Prairienet is home to all the web pages I work on and the Common Ground Food Co-op's and PRC's e-mail lists.

  • The Common Ground Food Co-op is owned and run by its members and works to promote social change through education and action around food issues.

  • The Illinois Disciples Foundation is a campus ministry committed to peace and social justice. Its programs include the Common Ground Food Co-op, Progressive Resource/Action Cooperative, Womenspace, SEAC, Kids for Change, CUECOS and Sunday Uprisings.

    Some Other Web Pages I Work On:

  • The National Retail Food Co-op Directory is a directory of co-ops in the U.S. that George Keller of the Cooperative Alliance publishes in printed format.

  • The Community Supported Agriculture Networking List is an international e-mail list of farmers, organizers, and members of Community Supported Agriculture projects.

  • Buy It Used is a web page devoted to buying, selling, recycling, and disposing of used stuff and includes links to classifieds and other sources of used stuff.

  • To the Prairienet Homepage