Re: talopia systems

S & S Aqua Farm (snsaquasys@townsqr.com)
Wed, 22 Jan 1997 07:12:21 -0600

At 08:22 PM 1/21/97 -0800, you wrote:
>A local highschool is beginning a talopia project. I recall from my Peace
>Corps days that talopia can be raised easily and efficiently in an
>integrated livestock system. Rabbits or chickens in cages can be set over
>the ponds and the feed and feces drop down into the water providing food
>for the talopia. Does anyone have any literature or specific information
>on this system as the class here would be interested in trying it.
>

> Carol A. Miles, Ph.D.
> Washington State University
> Extension Agricultural Systems
> 360 NW North Street
> Chehalis, WA 98532
> PHONE 360-740-1295 FAX 360-740-2792
> milesc@wsu.edu

Carol - Although we do not use animals over ponds in our system, we do use
an integrated approach, and one that is easily adaptable to school projects.
All is indoors, fish are raised in tanks, and plants grown in beds filled
with gravel. All are constructed of easy to find materials, and if the
school has a greenhouse available, much of the basic expense is cut out.

Please check our web pages at www.townsqr.con/snsaqua, review our system,
and if you think it will work for this site, let us know if we can help
further with this project.

Paula Speraneo