re: Re: GE in OZ -Reply

Comments by:       Craig Harris@SOC@SSC
Forwarded to:      out[sanet-mg@ces.ncsu.edu,ACLARK@crop.uoguelph.ca]
Comments:

   -------------------------- [Original Message] -------------------------
just to add a couple thoughts to ann's original message . . . anytime the Bt
toxin is used rather than the Bt beasties themselves, resistance will develop
. . . if the beasties themselves were used, then they could coevolve with
their host, but an inert chemical, whether synthetic or natural, cannot evolve
. . . the rate at which resistance will develop will be affected by the
intensity and spatial distribution of the application; making high levels of
Bt toxin available year-round everywhere will produce resistance the most
quickly
turning to the question of what is being lost, one of the main benefits of Bt
is that it is a relatively soft pesticide (short-lived, narrow spectrum) . . .
thus it can be used to reduce an outbreak of a pest without seriously
disrupting the natural community of pest predators . . . this makes it very
useful in ipm applications where one is trying to get as much protection as
possible from non-chemical controls (barriers, predators, diseases) while
having a chemical in reserve for serious outbreaks that will not disrupt the
basic pest management system
thus, Bt could help growers transition to more sustainable pest management
systems if its efficacy is not seriously diminished
cheers,
craig

craig harris
dept of sociology