Re: economics or politics? -Reply

Bob,
	Forgive me if im wrong, but your statements still seem to be
working in/supporting the economic approach as the only approach to
dealing with chemicals and their affects, be they negative or positive. My
origional post was responding to what i saw as this continuing ideology
that
alternatives to chemicals are not cost effective and that when they do
become cost effective/efficient, all will be solved. To me, this obviously
narrows the focus to economics and only economics, and the only answer
will be one based on the economic imperative surrounding food as another
commodity (which it is not, in my opinion). I think if one looks at what
is going on in
the realm of commercialized organic food these days, the economic
imperative is beginning
to become the overriding factor (ask H.J Heinz) and subsume some equally
valid (and
necessary) ideas in what the organic movement has running through it (like
more local production and consumption). I, for one thing, would like to
make sure that economics is not the only voice when looking at alternative
farming systems and keep the conversation as broad as possible to
entertain a variety of view points, some of which may be "touchy feely" or
more holistic in approach (refering to an early posting). And i understand
about economics not being able to take into consideration social and
external costs. . .i think this has been established. My comment: should
it, can it, and should we try and make it? We certainly seem to be heading
that direction with ecological and environmental economics.
	Finally, my reasons for pointing to that fact that the decision
to end the use
of methyl bromide might be more political than economic was two fold: 1.
that again, there seem to be other paths to less chemical use (i.e.
political paths however contested they may be as you pointed out), 2. I
think i had in mind something i read about Wilson in California allowing
strawberry growers to continue to use the stuff even in the face of the
environmental problems it causes and i immediatly thought that this
decision was based on politics and not science or economics. . .

so the diatribe ends,
cheers
mg

Mike Goodman