job announcement (fwd)

Address your application to Kim Staritzky, Farm and Community Policy
Program, Center for Rural Affairs, Box 406, Walthill, Nebraska, 68067.
Interviews will begin around June 1.  Applications will be accepted until
the position is filled.  If you have questions call Kim at 402-846-5428
between 8:30 and 4:30 Central time.

Sanetters:

We welcome applications for the following position.  Thank you!  Kim Staritzky

Job Announcement
Market Structure Project Leader

	The Center for Rural Affairs in Walthill, Nebraska has an opening
for a full-time project leader with its Market Structure Project.  The
project works with family farmers and other rural people opposed to
corporate farming but committed to a healthy livestock industry composed
of independent producers who are economically strong and environmentally
responsible.  The project believes that farmers must have access to fair,
open, and competitive markets, especially livestock and capital markets,
and they must not be discriminated against in public policies that
influence these markets.

Duties -organize grassroots support among livestock producers for policies
that encourage fair, open, and competitive markets; -work with local
groups of citizens opposed to the development of industrial farming
operations; -provide staff support and coordination to citizen committees
and assist with recruitment; -organizing and facilitating informational
meetings; -analyzing policy, developing policy resolutions, and soliciting
support for them among farmers; -organizing and implementing issue
campaigns; -fundraising and grant management; -supervision of project
consultants -serve as media spokesperson for project; -meet with, write
Duties
-organize grassroots support among livestock producers for policies that
encourage fair, open, and competitive markets;
-work with local groups of citizens opposed to the development of industrial
farming operations;
-provide staff support and coordination to citizen committees and assist with
recruitment;
-organizing and facilitating informational meetings;
-analyzing policy, developing policy resolutions, and soliciting support for
them among farmers;
-organizing and implementing issue campaigns;
-fundraising and grant management;
-supervision of project consultants
-serve as media spokesperson for project;
-meet with, write to, and influence policy makers;
-support and provide leadership to coalition efforts;
-write for the newsletter.

Qualifications
	Applicants should demonstrate the ability to critically and
objectively analyze issues.  We seek demonstrated experience in motivating
and organizing grassroots citizens to support a common objective; ability
to work well with livestock producers, other farmers, and rural people in
general; excellent speaking and writing skills, and some understanding of
the issues involved.  We seek applicants with initiative in developing and
implementing activities without close supervision; who are committed to
social justice and environmental stewardship; and who possess a strong
commitment to the health of rural communities.  Since much of the
project's work is in Iowa and Nebraska, the new staff person must be
located in, or must be willing to relocate to, Iowa or eastern Nebraska.

Salary and Benefits
	This is a full-time position with a salary range of $28,000 to
$29,600 annually, depending on experience and qualifications.  The Center
for Rural Affairs has an excellent benefit package including full major
medical and dental coverage, life insurance, long-term disability
insurance, generous paid sick and vacation leave, and, after two years of
employment, contributions to a retirement fund.  It is estimated this
benefit package is worth approximately an additional $10,000.

Application Procedure
	Applicants should send a cover letter, resume, list of references,
and a short (two page) writing sample responding to the following
questions:

* Why are you interested in this position and how does it relate to your
personal goals?
* What are the most significant issues confronting agricultural communities and
how can they be addressed?
* What are your two most significant accomplishments?
* What are your strengths (provide examples that demonstrate your strengths)

Address your application to Kim Staritzky, Farm and Community Policy
Program, Center for Rural Affairs, Box 406, Walthill, Nebraska, 68067.
Interviews will begin around June 1.  Applications will be accepted until
the position is filled.  If you have questions call Kim at 402-846-5428
between 8:30 and 4:30 Central time.

About the Center for Rural Affairs

The Center for Rural Affairs was formed by rural Nebraskans concerned
about the decline of family farms and rural communities.  It was chartered
in 1973 under Nebraska state law as a private, non-profit corporation
headquartered in Walthill.

The Center has developed a national reputation for its prominent work on
federal and state policy, as well as its pioneering work with rural people
to strengthen their communities.  We fight for family farming, fair and
open markets, small scale entrepreneurship, strong rural communities and
sustainable agriculture.  We believe that:

* The people who work the land should have meaningful opportunities to own and
control it;
* All people - rural and urban - are entitled to decent economic opportunities
that support quality lives;
* The entrepreneurship of rural people should be nurtured and supported to
establish new self-employment opportunities;
* Small communities have value;
* We have a responsibility to leave the land as well or better than we receive
it.  The public must share in that responsibility.

The Center is governed by a volunteer board of directors.  About half of
the board are farmers and ranchers; the rest are business people,
educators and civic workers.  The board's policies and programs are
implemented by a staff of 25.  The Center has a budget of about $1.5
million.

Financial support comes from sales of publications, fees for services,
individual contributions and grants and contracts from private and public
sources, churches, and foundations.  The Center is not a membership
organization.

Mission Statement of the Center for Rural Affairs
The Center for Rural Affairs is committed to building communities that
stand for social justice, economic opportunity, and environmental
stewardship.  To achieve this objective, we encourage people to accept
both personal and social responsibility, and we provide opportunities for
people to participate in decisions that shape the quality of their lives
and the future of their communities.  We engage in research, education,
advocacy, and service work to further this vision of rural America.

Center for Rural Affairs
PO Box 406
Walthill NE 68067-0406
voice: (402) 846-5428