Re: Famous people who eat organic

Sorry Kert, I don't think it's silly at all.
In fact, I think it goes right to the heart of
the matter.  Too often I've seen the
celebrity approach overwhelm the efforts of
ordinary people and undermine their/our ability
to form grassroots organisations.  And how often
have these celebrity role models turned out to
be all puffery and no substance.  Which role models
of the past could we suggest?  OJ? Bridget
Bardot?  Wallace and Edward? (Turns out
Edward was turfed because he was a Nazi
sympathiser, not because of the divorcee).
Should people stop drinking orange juice?
Next time Oprah gains weight will we all
run out and buy candy?
   I'm happy to say that my own role models
have been good hearted, ordinary people who
struggle everyday to do the right thing.
Positive change comes from learning to make
good decisions, not from climbing on bandwagons.
In fact, the more I think about it, the more I
think that celebrities are the *last* people
we should offer up as role models. (occasional
exceptions, of course).
   Whether American (or Canadians) trust
celebrities more than the government seems
irrelevant to me.  We should learn to trust
our well informed common sense a little more,
IMHO.
    I admit that I see the "cult of personality"
as an inevitable part our "civilisation" but
I'll continue to try to avoid it, notwithstanding. :-)

Jim

>Alright this conversation is getting silly...  of course it is important to
>have celebrity role models/spokespeople.  And it can make positive change.
>Oprah happened to mention that she reads books (for fun, of all things) and
>the next day fiction sales soared.  She names her favorite book and stores
>sell out of it.  Fortunately she reads good stuff. If Oprah mentioned that
>she eats organic food,  we wouldn't have enought to go around.
>
>There can be nothing wrong with celebrity endorsement of organic food.
>Americans obviously trust celebs more than they trust the guvamint.  Trying
>to avoid "the cult of personality." is like putting your head in the sand.
>This is 1997, if we don't get moving we are all going to be dead before
>anything really changes.
>Kert
>
>***~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~***
>Kert Davies
>Environmental Working Group
>1718 Connecticut Ave. NW, Suite 600
>Washington, D.C.  20009
>kert@ewg.org  WWWeb: http://www.ewg.org
>202-667-6982  fax 202-232-2592
>Any opinions expressed are mine and not my employer's.

Jim Wright
Box 129
Lougheed Alberta Canada
T0B 2V0