                             ***
                   Pesticide Action Network
                        North America
                       Updates Service
                 http://www.panna.org/panna/
            =====================================

Resource Pointer #127

May 22, 1997

For copies of the following resources, please contact
the appropriate publishers or organizations directly.

                         ***

*Environmentalism and Economic Justice: Two Chicano
Struggles in the Southwest, 1996.* Laura Pulido.
Investigates environmental racism and economic justice
in U.S. Southwest. Focuses on two struggles: United Farm
Workers' pesticide campaign from 1965-1971 and conflict
between mainstream environmentalists and a Hispanic
cooperative in Northern New Mexico. Examines how
marginalized groups use available resources to improve
their social, economic and environmental conditions.
Discusses strategic and tactical differences between
mainstream environmental movements and
economic/environmental justice movements. 282 pp.
US$17.95. University of Arizona Press, 1230 North Park
Avenue, Tucson, AZ 85719; phone (520) 621-1441; fax
(520) 621-8899.

*Liberation Ecologies: Environment, Development, Social
Movements, 1996.* Richard Peet and Michael Watts, eds.
Examines economic and agricultural development policies
in terms of ecological and social justice. Discusses
various interpretations of "environment" and
"development" in Third World countries, and presents
case studies of development projects in many countries,
including China, Ecuador, Gambia, Indonesia, Madagascar
and Zimbabwe. Describes problems associated with Green
Revolution strategies. 273 pp. US$19.95. Routledge
Press, 29 West 35th Street, New York, NY 10001-2299;
phone (212) 244-3336; fax (212) 564-7854.

*Democracy Undermined, Economic Justice Denied:
Structural Adjustment and the Aid Juggernaut in Haiti,
1997.* Lisa McGowan. Analyzes effects of structural
adjustment policies on Haiti. Describes negative impacts
of these policies on farm workers and rural poor and
provides recommendations for how to implement
alternative development policies. 35 pp. US$5. The
Development Group for Alternative Policies, Inc., 927
15th St, NW, 4th Floor, Washington, DC 20005; phone
(202) 898-1566; fax (202) 898-1612; email dgap@igc.org.

*Globalisation of Agriculture and the Growth of Food
Insecurity, 1996.* Dr. Vandana Shiva. Argues that food
security is a fundamental human right, and describes why
globalisation of agriculture cannot provide food
security. Presents case studies of food insecurity in
Mexico, Russia, Japan, Kenya and other countries, and
discusses range of issues related to globalization of
agriculture, free trade and environmental
sustainability. 30 pp. For cost and ordering
information, contact Research Foundation for Science,
Technology and Natural Resource Policy, A-60, Hauz Khas,
New Delhi, 110 016, India; phone (91 11) 696 8077; fax
(91 11) 685-6795.

*NAFTA's Broken Promises: Failure to Create Jobs, 1997.*
Public Citizen. Presents findings of study regarding
whether U.S. manufacturing companies have met job-
creation goals due to NAFTA. Compares statements and
promises made by corporate officials prior to NAFTA with
situation three years after its passage. Finds that job
loss in U.S. has been exacerbated by NAFTA and that most
companies that promised new jobs have not delivered
them. 41 pp. US$10. Public Citizen Publications, 1600
20th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20009; phone toll free
(800) 289-3787; fax (202) 588-7798;
http://www.citizen.org.

We encourage those interested in having resources listed
in the Online Resource Pointer to send review copies of
publications, videos or other sources to our office
(address listed below) or to contact Information Program
Associate Adam Kirshner for further information.