Sustainable landscape

Hi Victoria,

My personal vision for sustainability is a countryside filled with
small working homesteads/farmsteads, where families raise their own
food and, depending upon the holistic goals of that family/farm,
excess for the local market.

I would like to see a grassbased, land stewardship concept as part of
a local rural planning vision. Every homestead would have a cash
"crop", whether that be crafts, market gardens, meat production, etc.
Emphasis would be on quality of life and family. All of our homesteads
and "cottage" industries would be link by the Internet. Homeschooling
of our children would be the norm, as well as intergenerational
families living in harmony.

The rural landscape would be a rural park for those who live in larger
communities to enjoy and interact with the locals and bring in outside
revenue.

I envision a renewable energy emphasis perhaps with combinations of
solar, wind, water and geo-thermal. People building their own homes
and homesteads.

I also believe that the 3 Rs (reuse, recycle, reduce) would be an
integral part of launching a new life after the demise of the
industrial era (which, I believe, we are currently in the death throes
of).

Respectfully,

Bev Sandlin
Mustang Creek Homestead

Mustang Creek Homestead is a working homestead built on the 3 Rs. As a
divorced woman with 2 small children (then 2 & 3), we bought barren
land, built a home, and paid for the place in 4-1/2 yrs. We raise most
of our food. It has always been my dream to homestead. We are now 13
years into the project. I now have a B.A. and my two children, Michael
and Montana, are wonderful kids. It can be done!