                             ***
                   Pesticide Action Network
                        North America
                       Updates Service
                 http://www.panna.org/panna/
            =====================================

Resource Pointer #129

June 5, 1997

For copies of the following resources, please contact
the appropriate publishers or organizations directly.

                         ***

*Biopiracy: The Plunder of Nature and Knowledge, 1997.*
Vandana Shiva. Examines role of intellectual property
rights in exploiting Southern resources for the benefit
of Northern corporations. Argues that biodiversity is
reduced through genetic engineering and patenting of
life forms, and that to maintain biodiversity,
indigenous communities must be empowered with control
over their communal heritage. Describes cases in which
traditional knowledge, including neem, has been
appropriated by corporations. 148 pp. US$13. South End
Press, 116 Saint Botolph Street, Boston, MA 02115; phone
(617) 266-0629; fax (617) 266-1595; email
south.end.press@lbbs.org.

*Biodiversity and Human Health, 1997.* Francesca Grifo
and Joshua Rosenthal, eds. Presents compilation of
papers which analyze human health consequences of
biodiversity loss from variety of perspectives,
including agroecology, public health, biology,
epidemiology, demography and pharmacology. Explores
causes of biodiversity loss, effects of its loss on
agroecosystems, and significance of biodiversity-derived
medicines and biodiversity-dependent health systems.
Discusses threats from pesticides and role of
agricultural diversity in sustainable agriculture. 379
pp. US$29.95 plus shipping. Island Press, 24850 East
Lane, P.O. Box 7, Covelo, CA 95428; phone (707) 983-
6432; fax (707) 983-6414; email ipwest@igc.org.

*Conserving India's Agro-Biodiversity: Prospects and
Policy Implications (Gatekeeper Series Number 65),
1997.* Ashish Kothari. Investigates causes of genetic
erosion of India's crop and livestock biodiversity,
focusing on how this loss affects sustainable
agriculture and food security in India. Presents brief
case studies of farm communities that are successfully
conserving local biodiversity. Argues that indigenous
agricultural diversity is important to food security
because input costs and losses to pests are minimized.
Recommends policy reforms to re-orient Indian
agriculture away from chemical-dependent monocultures.
20 pp. For cost and ordering information, contact
Sustainable Agriculture Programme, International
Institute for Agriculture and Development (IIED), 3
Endsleigh Street, London WC1H 0DD, UK; phone (44 171)
388-2117; fax (44 171) 388-2826; email sustag@iied.org.

*In Defense of Local Community Knowledge and
Biodiversity, 1996.* Gurdial Singh Nijar. Discusses
exploitation of traditional farmers' knowledge by
"bioprospectors" and describes harmful impacts of
intellectual property rights as understood by World
Trade Organization. Proposes regulation for controlling
"bioprospecting" and ensuring that farmers and
communities are given control over their traditional
knowledge, including seeds. Includes language for
proposed legislation that would regulate collectors of
biological resources and protect community intellectual
rights. 62 pp. For cost and ordering information,
contact Third World Network, 228 Macalister Road, 10400
Penang, Malaysia; phone (60-4) 366728; fax (60-4)
364505; email TWN@igc.apc.org.

*A Socio-Economic Survey of Farmers' Practices in Four
Vegetable Crops in South Trinidad, 1996.* Vyjayanthi
Lopez et.al. Describes agricultural and pest control
practices of farmers in Trinidad for four crops:
cabbage, tomato, melongene and pepper. Main findings
include that farmers recognize major pests and damage
symptoms; apply pesticides as preventative action
regardless of pest presence; use higher than recommended
doses; have not been formally trained in pesticide use
-- most learned by watching others; and do not take
basic safety precautions when using pesticides. Lists
chemicals used during study period. 30 pp. Cost and
ordering information, contact CAB International,
Caribbean and Latin American Station, Gordon Street,
Curepe, Trinidad and Tobago, WI; phone (818) 662-4173;
fax (809) 663-2859; CAB International Headquarters email
cabi-iibc-hq@cgnet.com.

We encourage those interested in having resources listed
in the Online Resource Pointer to send review copies of
publications, videos or other sources to our office
(address listed below) or to contact Information Program
Associate Adam Kirshner for further information.