FW: Re: Californian progress

----------
From: Bruce Brummitt <lilacmn@eot.com>
To: "Pye St Vet Clinic." <pyevet@apollo.ruralnet.net.au>
Subject: Re: Californian progress

Andrew Byrne wrote:

----------
To whoever may be able to enlighten me,

Today a client from Lake Boga, Victoria, Australia, visited me and told me
how shocked she was to see how much California had changed in 8 years,  and
was concerned,  that as Australians,  we would follow suite in 5 years or
so.
we watch the US closely to see what trends will attack our society in the
next 5 or 10 years.  As one such Aussie my client appears very concerned
for the future of her society flooded by fast foods,  no kitchens and the
lost culture of having friends around for a good old home cooked meal.   I
must admit that the last childrens birthday party I went to was,... believe
it or not...,
at Muck Donalds.

Is this portrayal of californian eating habits fair?   Is it what we've got
to look forward to?

************************
Andrew:

There are many Americas in the US.  There are many kitchens, and there are
many
different ways of viewing what is going on here.  Granted, there is a
popular culture that exists on tv, in shopping malls and in suburban fast
food chains, and the culture is creeping into the rural areas.  However, we
believe this is just a <blip> on the screen, fueled by non productive stock
market speculation, and cheap fuel...due to America's strong arm tactics and
support of oil sheiks and subsidization by borrowing against the children's
future.
It will not last...
we must work toward sustainability in our own lives and hopefully touch
other folks.

Bruce Brummitt and Cheryl Valois
Lilac Moon Experimental Living Center
Osage, MN  56570