                             ***
                   Pesticide Action Network
                        North America
                       Updates Service
                 http://www.panna.org/panna/
            =====================================

Resource Pointer #131

June 24, 1997

For copies of the following resources, please contact
the appropriate publishers or organizations directly.

                         ***

*Living Downstream: An Ecologist Looks at Cancer and the
Environment, 1997.* Sandra Steingraber. Explores
personal, political and historical aspects of how
industrial pollutants affect health and the environment
-- with a focus on pesticides. Examines toxics release
and cancer registry data, discusses history of
industrial reliance on toxins and argues for eliminating
industrial carcinogens. Includes brief appendix with
information on how to obtain information about
environmental toxins. 357 pp. US$24. Addison-Wesley
Publishing Company, Inc., Attn: Order Services, One
Jacob Way, Reading, MA 01867; phone toll free (800) 358-
4566 or (617) 944-3700 ext.5190; fax toll free (800)
367-7198; order online http://www.aw.com/gb/.

*Global Pesticide Campaigner, June 1997.* PANNA.
Quarterly periodical of pesticide and sustainable
agriculture news. June issue focuses on human costs of
hazardous pesticides, including an excerpt from Living
Downstream (see above) about proliferation of synthetic
chemicals; an article by an Indian activist on his
struggle with cancer and its relation to pesticides; and
an article about methyl bromide's effects on California
communities. Also includes update on methyl bromide
phaseout and other pesticide news worldwide.
Subscription costs: individuals/nonprofits -- US$25;
small business/government/libraries -- US$50;
corporations -- US$100. Contact PANNA (see below).

*Child Labour: Targeting the Intolerable, 1996.*
International Labour Office (ILO). Documents extent of
child labor in hazardous industries worldwide, including
agriculture. Examines range of national child labor laws
and varying degrees of enforcement, providing
information about minimum work age requirements and
types of legal child labor in different countries.
Discusses international law and makes recommendations
for improving regulations and enforcement. Suggests
priority areas for action, including sugar-cane
plantations and vegetable farms in Philippines and
commercial farms in Kenya. 123 pp. US$14.95 plus $4.50
shipping/handling. Specify ISBN#92-2-110328-5. ILO
Publications Center, P.O. Box 753, Waldorf, MD 20604;
phone (301) 638-3152; fax (301) 843-0159; email
ilopubs@tasco.com.

*Environmental Health Threats to Children, 1996.* U.S.
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Summarizes
threats to children's health from environmental toxins,
including pesticides, lead and drinking water
contaminants. Describes EPA's agenda for protecting
children and recommends actions, including in areas of
research, national policy and education. States that
each year more than 100,000 children accidentally
directly ingest pesticides in the U.S. 13 pp. No charge.
National Center for Environmental Publications and
Information, P.O. Box 42419, Cincinnati, OH 45242; phone
toll free (800) 490-9198 or (513) 489-8190; fax (513)
489-8695.

*California: Environmental Links to Breast Cancer
Handbook, 1997.* Women's Environment and Development
Organization (WEDO). Reviews theories about
environmental factors linked to breast cancer, focusing
on how activists and public officials can work together
to eliminate harmful substances. Documents legal gains
in California but provides information useful elsewhere,
including discussions of pesticides and cancer. Gives
contact information for organizations and agencies
working on issues related to pesticides, race,
radiation, electromagnetic fields and toxins. 60 pp.
US$10. WEDO, attn: Pamela Ransom, 355 Lexington Avenue,
3rd Floor, New York, NY 10017; phone (212) 973-0325
ext.211; fax (212) 973-0335; email wedo@igc.org;
http://www.wedo.org.

We encourage those interested in having resources listed
in the Online Resource Pointer to send review copies of
publications, videos or other sources to our office
(address listed below) or to contact Information Program
Associate Adam Kirshner for further information.