Re: Bindweed, organic control

On Mon, 23 Jun 1997, Laurie Hodges wrote:

> An organic grower needs ideas on effective organic methods to control
> bindweed in a garden area used for organic vegetable production, mostly
> annual crops. Cultivation seems to be increasing the problem. Has anyone any
> experience with this?

In my experience, bindweed thrives on fertility. As you improve the soil
the bindweed gets more invasive. This is why rotation is important.

I have observed strong alleopathic effects when spring barley is planted
in soil infested with bindweed. I seem to remember that it burned down
the bindweed like an herbicide. You could try a few strips of barley in
your garden. This effect takes place early in the growth stage of the
barley. mybe you could incorporate it as a green manure, and plant
something else after.

Tom Armstrong   toma@crl.com  Sequera Ranch s.1892  San Gregorio, CA
Barnyard Technology--- Ideas for tomorrow -> from yesterday's scrap.
         4th -> 5th gen. on family farm. Can Ag Sustain?
   A ghost town fights its way back.. http://www.crl.com/~toma/