Re: Bolivian Farmers Demand Researchers Drop Patent

As someone who grew up in a large, North American city, travelled and lived
extensively in the developing world and spent his adult life promoting
sustainability, I can appreciate Steve Diver's opinion without ignoring the
generalization and oversimplification of the complex issues that underlie
it.  Having spent time with indigenous, traditional farmers and with
research scientists, I can attest that they inhabit vastly different
universes that operate with very different assumptions, values and rules.
If I had the opportunity to choose one group or the other to guide us on the
road to a sustainable future, I would take the farmers any day, while in no
way impugning the contribution that science has made and will make to future
prosperity on a global scale.

History to this point appears to have been dominated by exploitation,
subjugation, genocide, environmental degradation and aggression.  Does this
mean that we must continue on the same path that our ancestors trod?  I also
see historical evidence for the gradual emergence of justice, brotherhood,
co-operation and wisdom as operating factors in human cultural evolution.
That is the path I would rather walk.

Jeff Gold.