                             ***
                   Pesticide Action Network
                        North America
                       Updates Service
                 http://www.panna.org/panna/
            =====================================

Resource Pointer #140

August 27, 1997

For copies of the following resources, please contact
the appropriate publishers or organizations directly.

                         ***

*Tough to Swallow: How Pesticide Companies Profit by
Poisoning America's Tap Water, 1997.* Brian Cohen and Richard
Wiles. Presents findings of study on herbicides in tap water
in mid-western U.S. states. Documents that drinking water is
regularly contaminated with dangerous levels of pesticides,
including alachlor, metolachlor and triazines (atrazine,
cyanazine and simazine) and explains that in many cases this
contamination exceeds cancer risk standards set by Food
Quality Protection Act. Concludes that U.S. Environmental
Protection Agency should ban all triazine herbicides
immediately and phase out other herbicides found in tap
water. 46 pp. US$20. Environmental Working Group (EWG), 1718
Connecticut Ave., NW, Suite 600, Washington, DC 20009; phone
(202) 667-6982; fax (202) 232-2592; email info@ewg.org;
http://www.ewg.org.

*Proceedings of the Second International IFOAM Conference on
Organic Textiles, 1996.* International Federation of Organic
Agriculture Movements (IFOAM). Compiles conference papers and
notes from workshops on many topics related to organic
textiles, including organic cotton, wool and hemp, as well as
natural dyes. Discusses organic cotton production methods and
textile design, manufacturing and finishing. Information
about workshops ranges from brief overviews to full text of
papers. Includes 48 page Organic Project Textile Directory,
which describes organic cotton production projects worldwide,
including in Egypt, India, Mali, Mozambique, Nicaragua, Peru,
Turkey and the U.S. 205 pp. DM$75 (US$50). IFOAM General
Secretariat, c/o Okozentrum Imsbach, D-66636, Tholey-Theley,
Germany; phone (49-6) 853-5190; fax (49-6) 853-30110; email
ifoam@t-online.de.

*An IPM Approach to Turf and Lawn Management, 1997.* The
Pesticides Trust. Describes integrated pest management (IPM)
strategies for controlling pests in turf and lawns, including
using appropriate design, developing healthy soil and using
cultural and biological pest control. Focuses on pest
management in UK. 8 pp. US$2.50. The Pesticides Trust (PAN
Europe), Eurolink Business Centre, 49 Effra Road, London, SW2
1BZ, U.K.; fax (441 71) 274-8895; email pesttrust@gn.apc.org.

*Improving Food and Agricultural Productivity and the
Environment: Canadian Leadership in the Development of Methyl
Bromide Alternatives and Emission Control Technologies,
1995.* Environment Canada. Discusses ways Canadian government
and industry reduce methyl bromide use in grain storage,
milling and greenhouse production. Describes effectiveness of
range of alternatives used by businesses such as Quaker Oats,
including heat treatments, cold treatments, IPM, diatomaceous
earth, irradiation, biological control and companion
planting. 37 pp. Canadian$15 plus $4 shipping. Environmental
Protection Publications, Technology Transfer Office,
Environmental Technology Advancement Directorate, Environment
Canada, Ottawa, ON, K1A 0H3, Canada; phone (819) 953-5921;
fax (819) 953-7253.

*For All Generations: Making World Agriculture More
Sustainable, 1997.* J. Patrick Madden and Scott Chaplowe,
eds. Presents compilation of papers on many topics related to
sustainable agriculture, including food security, community
supported agriculture, urban farming, corporate power,
farmer-centered development and the role of non-governmental
organizations (NGOs) in sustainable agriculture. Profiles
more than 45 NGOs and other organizations worldwide working
on these issues, including information about their programs,
objectives and history. 642 pp. US$30 plus shipping (US$4 in
U.S.; US$5 in Canada; US$10 other countries -- surface; US$24
other countries -- air). Special rates for NGOs available.
World Sustainable Agriculture Association (WSAA)
Publications, 8554 Melrose Ave., West Hollywood, CA 90069;
phone (310) 657-7202; fax (310) 657-3884; email
wsaa@compuserve.com.

We encourage those interested in having resources listed
in the Online Resource Pointer to send review copies of
publications, videos or other sources to our office
(address listed below) or to contact Information Program
Associate Adam Kirshner for further information.