Mycoherbicides for Control of Canada Thistle, etc

Project Title:  Assessment of Three Promising Candidate
                Mycoherbicides for Control of Stinkweed, Canada
                Thistle and Showy Milkweed

Research Manager:  R. Varma
Institution:  Alberta Environmental Centre
Location:  Vegreville, Alberta

Objectives:  1. To mass-produce three fungal pathogens (WD89-108-II,
                WD89-117-I, & WD88-29-I) and determine their effectiveness
on
                the respective target weeds (stinkweed, showy milkweed and
                Canada thistle) grown outdoors in test plots.
             2. To extract and identify phytotoxins from the Fusarium
isolate
                WD88-29-I and evaluate its effectiveness on Canada thistle
                in growth chambers.
             3. To further evaluate the host-specificity of isolates
                WD89-108-II, WD89-117-I and WD88-29-I on a range of crops
and
                other non-target plants, related to the weed species.
             4. To explore the possibility of commercial production of
                candidate mycoherbicides with private companies (technology
                transfer)

Abstract:  Forthcoming.

Contact:  Dr. Rina Varma
          Department of Plant Sciences
          Alberta Environmental Centre
          Bag 4000
          Vegreville, Alberta
          T0B 4L0

          Phone:  403-632-8229

          For further information contact:  Research Division, Alberta
          Agriculture, J.G. O'Donoghue Building, 7000 - 113 Street,
          Edmonton, Alberta, T6H 5T6.  Phone: (403) 427-1956