Methyl bromide

>          Re: PANUPS: Methyl Bromide Drift
>    Date:
>          Fri, 05 Sep 1997 15:12:29 -0700
>   From:
>          Glenn Brank <GBRANK@cdpr.ca.gov>
>      To:
>          sanet-mg@ces.ncsu.edu

Snip...
>        The hysterical accusations against the
>Department of Pesticide Regulation have reached a
>despicable low point...

Although this is the third reference to regulating methyl bromide that
has shown on this list since yesterday, I haven't seen any hysteria.  I
haven't even seen comments that struck me as emotional.  There was only
a report about a woman dying.  Were her relatives in an uproar?

Perhaps I'm missing the point here.  Perhaps you are saying that a few
deaths should be expected when you, and the applicators, are messing
around with thousands (millions?) of pounds of some pretty nasty stuff.

Actually, I probably should keep quiet from here in Maryland and accept
that you folks in California have unique problems that demand unique
solutions.  My sole experience with methyl bromide was 3 years ago when
I visited an aunt near Watsonville.  There were dozens and dozens of
acres of white plastic coated land surrounding her home.  The big
propane-like tanks that had hoses connected to the plastic weren't
marked, but there were a few signs up (in English & Spanish) that warned
of methyl bromide danger.  Evidently, the danger wasn't all that great
or a guard would have arrived and ordered the numerous Chicano children
to quit running across the plastic.

BTW, I heard once that California was going to regulate bakeries and
require them to recapture that heavenly aroma that comes out the oven
vents because the odor was contributing to air pollution.  Assuming you
might have to follow the same rules, just how would you get that methyl
bromide back in the tank after you release it into those leaky plastic
covers?

Rex Harrill