ISO 14000

     My name is Genevieve Carruthers, and I work for the NSW Department of
     Agriculture in Australia. My background is in ecology (with a special
     interest in sustainable agriculture and entomology/soil fauna). I have
     previously worked for the Federal EPA (conducting risk assessment for
     ag. and vet chemicals prior to their release), various universities,
     and the Australian Plague Locust Commission.

     I have recently been employed to work with farmers and other clients
     of NSW Ag. interested in adopting a systems approach to farming.
     Obviously, organic farmers and similar are already some way down this
     road.

     I am interested in case studies or examples of agricultural
     enterprises that have adopted environmental management systems
     approaches to their production. ISO 14000, being the internationally
     recognised systems approach is but one of several systems that can be
     used (others being the EU's EMAS scheme, the British BS 7750 etc.). So
     far in Australia, only one farmer, a cotton grower, has followed the
     ISO 14000 path to full certification, at an approximate cost of
     $40-60,000.

     Can anyone provide me with information, or case studies? I'd be most
     grateful, and am happy to pass on information from Australia, as I
     find it, to interested parties.

     Genevieve Carruthers

     carrutg@agric.nsw.com.au